Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had a running problem all spring with slugs in our garden... I just picked a bunch of our cantaloupes. I put cardboard under the melons and our pumpkin to get them off the ground and keep them from rotting, but I dont know if this will keep the slugs off or not. how can i get rid of these slimey garden visitors??

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
You need to hand-pick them. The cardboard under the melons should help, since in the morning you can just flip over the cardboard and pick them all off the bottom of it. Drop them into a bucket of soapy water, if you don't want to just squish them under foot; if you try to salt them, you can oversalt your soil.

Sluggo (iron phosphate) will help with long-term control, but it takes a while to work, so hand-pick in the mean time, and spread Sluggo around to help with long-term control.

·
Registered
138 Posts
A shallow dish of beer has always worked really well for me. Some people think that it attracts slugs that wouldn't show up otherwise, but I've always had plenty of slugs by the time I've tried beer!

Do you have any 7-10yo boy children? They can be invaluable for tasks like picking slugs, squashing inchworms and flicking Japanese beetles away!

Jane

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by janey99 View Post
A shallow dish of beer has always worked really well for me. Some people think that it attracts slugs that wouldn't show up otherwise, but I've always had plenty of slugs by the time I've tried beer!

Do you have any 7-10yo boy children? They can be invaluable for tasks like picking slugs, squashing inchworms and flicking Japanese beetles away!

Jane
i was talking to my mom about it and she suggested beer too! We may end up trying this, since we have a few in the fridge. do you put it out at a certain time of day?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by gagin37 View Post
i was talking to my mom about it and she suggested beer too! We may end up trying this, since we have a few in the fridge. do you put it out at a certain time of day?
I have aways put it out in the evening and check the dishes in the morning. Use a shallow dish, like a terra cotta plant dish, with the beer deep enough to "drown" whatever size slugs you're seeing.

Word of warning, if you're like me, set the dish in the garden and THEN pour the beer in - I poured 20 dishes of beer all over myself before I realized I wasn't coordinated enough to balance a dish a liquid across the yard!

Jane

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
that's a good idea, thanks! Hopefully we can try it and get rid of our problem.

·
Premium Member
1,620 Posts
I grew up in Oregon and we had major slug issues there as well. The aluminum pie plate full of beer was always our trick too!!
Good Luck!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I tried the beer one night, there was a slug the next morning. I should have kept the beer but didn't.

Slugs are attracted to moist soil. The biggest thing I did was switch watering the tomato / basil plot from evening to morning. We get hot enough that the dirt usually dries up during the day. There may still be slugs, but I don't see them and I don't see significant signs of damage.

·
Registered
216 Posts
A shallow dish of beer works for me too. They seem to like darker stuff (porters and stouts) much more than lighter beers (lagers and ales). I change the dish every day or so, checking it nightly to see who's bellying up to the bar... Sometimes, I feel sad for the poor slugs...but I like my broccoli.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bird Girl View Post
Sluggo (iron phosphate) will help with long-term control, but it takes a while to work, so hand-pick in the mean time, and spread Sluggo around to help with long-term control.
I'm a huge fan of Sluggo. The slugs have been terrible up here in Maine, and I've had to put it some places I don't usually have to (like pumpkins) - usually it's just the lettuce and green beans when they're young.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by christinar View Post
I'm a huge fan of Sluggo. The slugs have been terrible up here in Maine, and I've had to put it some places I don't usually have to (like pumpkins) - usually it's just the lettuce and green beans when they're young.
we had a few in the lettuce, but they really seem to be going for the melons.

do chickens eat slugs? Does anyone know??? We've been letting our hens free range all over the back yard/garden area because it's so buggy here.

·
Registered
5,114 Posts
does anyone know if non-alcoholic beer will work?

though i've been in recovery nearly 15 years, beer was my drink of choice and i don't know that i'd be comfortable with "real" beer on my property. i know i wouldn't drink it, but i'd be awfully uncomfy. even with non-alk, probably, but i have a huge slug problem, too. my cabbages are decimated.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
A friend of mine swears by surrounding the garden with copper mesh or tape (that you can stick on if you have a wooden frame/retainer around the garden edge). We bought the netting (much more pricey, but we have nowhere to stick the tape!) and so far it is working. Slugs will not cross copper, apparently. You would still have to go over the whole garden by hand to get rid of whatever is already in there.

Note that I have no personal experience with this - it's our first ever summer gardening

·
Registered
122 Posts
Our chickens eat a ton of slugs and snails. They are very effective and seem to know exactly where to look to find them.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by artparent View Post
do your chickens eat your vegetables too?

we haven't had a problem with them eating stuff in the garden, although they will pick through the compost sometimes, and run the dog off her food dish

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
I use to use oyster shells or whatever shells I could find and border my beds with it. The sharp edges cut the slugs. Also, diatomaceous earth should do the same thing I think.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.