Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My five week old has a touch of thrush. It doesn't seem to bother him but I don't want to do the nistatin or diflucan unless totally necessary. Any suggestions?<br><br>
Will I get the yeast on my breast?<br><br>
Will the thrush heal itself? Any natural remedies?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
<b>Any suggestions?</b><br>
Go to your natural food/vitamin store. Get grapefruit seed extract. NOT grape seed extract. I use the pill form of Solaray, 250 mg. I take 4 a day if I am having symptoms, 2 a day if I am not. I haven't taken the liquid form as I heard it tastes bad but I guess it works the same. Start taking acidopholus or another probiotic, get the kind they keep in the fridge. You can also eat yogurt. Limit sugar and dairy.<br><br><b>Will I get the yeast on my breast?</b><br>
Maybe. Watch closely for signs, red, flakey nips, pain in breasts. If you notice it use 1 part vinegar to 4 parts water to wipe your nips after every feeding. I usually make up a big batch of paper towels cut into 1/4 sheets and keep them in a plastic bag. DO NOT use lansinoh, it harbors yeast. If you use breast pads change them frequently. Wash your bras in hot hot hot water to kill yeast.<br><br><b>Will the thrush heal itself? Any natural remedies?</b><br>
See above.<br><br>
Please be proactive about this - just trust me. You want to get ahead of the game now.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you so much. I made the wipes and I am already taking a probotic prenatal...wonder why that's not working. I also eat yogurt. I am so worried that the yeast is bothering him. I have also been using Motherlove's "diaper Rash and thrush" cream on my nipples. It is a combo of olive oil, calendula, myrrh, oregon grape root, yarrow, and beeswax. I also use it on his bottom because it seems the yeast has colonized in his digestive tract as well (yucky diaper rash, it's almost clear now). My nips are red and peeling. I just thought that was from nursing not yeast. The cream and your wipes have really been helping. I feel like I should start him on the diflucan so the yeast doesn't colonize in his lungs or esophagus. I have heard this will happen. Wish me luck...maybe it will clear soon.<br><br>
Thanks again,<br>
kbrinkley

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
Check out the thrush thread in bf challenges too. It is long but you can read it a little at a time. The biggest saver for us is the GSE. I've heard you can give your baby a tiny bit of probiotic too, but I haven't done it myself.

·
Registered
584 Posts
More thoughts:<br><br>
* change your bra and ESPECIALLY your breast pads frequently. I'd change those breastpads at least twice a day.<br>
* wash your hands frequently<br>
* clean the baby's changing area very very well once a week. most recommend that you use a 1/4 c. bleach to one gallon water solution.<br><br>
It sounds to me that your nipples (b/c they are red and peeling) may be infected with thrush. Are your aerolas shiny? Do they itch?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
here is the thread I was talking about<br><br><a href="http://www.mothering.com/discussions/showthread.php?t=570359&highlight=thrush" target="_blank">http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=thrush</a>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts