Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 18 month old has coslept since birth. She has gradually become more and more restless (not to mention taller and bigger), and now she kinda manages to take up almost all of the entire king sized bed.
She flops around, turns in the opposite direction, drapes herself over and on top of us, and kicks one or both of us in the head almost all night long. In addition, it requires me to lay down with her and usually nurse to get her to go to sleep, which isn't a huge deal for bedtime (although she goes to bed late) but is much more of an issue at naptime. I have an almost 3 year old who is in the process of gradually giving up the afternoon nap, and I cannot get dd2 to bed while dd1 is up. For one thing, she knows dd1 is probably doing something interesting and for another, dd1 can't "play quietly in her room" or anything like that without running in and disrupting the process. THe only thing that works at all is to put dd1 down for a nap (later than dd2 needs to go down) and then get dd2 down. But as dd1 is transitioning away from said nap, it's problematic. And I need to spend some one on one time with dd1 too! It would be nice to cuddle her or rock her to sleep. My hubby thinks we should stick her in the crib at naptime and close the door for an hour or two.... He says, "Well, dd1 was sleeping in her crib by herself at 18 months. You even let her cry a little." But they have very different personalities. DD1 was always very independent, slept fairly badly with us herself after about six months, and while she would fuss a bit, slept better and seemed to quiet better if allowed to fuss a bit when transitioning her. But dd2 is very clingy, more physically attached, anxious, insecure.... I dunno. We also knew with dd1 that dd2 was coming and I didnt want to cosleep with two, so there was incentive there. My instinct just said moving dd1 to crib was the right thing to do, but I feel like doing that to dd2 is wrong. Am I playing favorites? I dont want to do cio, but I do want all o us to sleep well and hubby to be happy. I want dd2 to get the sleep she needs during the daytime as well as at night. Ideas?

·
Registered
55 Posts
jessica - i hear you! i only have one dd, and she is 18 months. She will only nurse down or fall asleep in a car or stroller. In the last two months she has started waking up between 2 and 3:30 and staying "awake" (latched on to the breast or else fussing) for 1 - 2 hours! I can't take it anymore! I need sleep, but don't want to cio either. I tried having dh take her, but desperate screaming still insued. I hope I am not stealing your tread, but think this is a similar issue that maybe others can help us with and we can perhaps help each other. At least we know we are not the only ones!
pax,
elizabeth, momma to sophia teva

·
Registered
622 Posts
My son has always been a difficult sleeper, and sounds a lot like your younger DD. I don't think you are favoring #2 by doing things differently than you did with #1 - they are two different kids, and I'm sure they require different parenting.

I can tell you that in my sons case, the thing that really helped with the restless sleeping and constant night waking was nightweaning. When I nightweaned Owen, he suddently slept MUCH more soundly. Then I moved him to his "big boy bed" (a twin sized bed in his bedroom), he slept even better. Follow your heart, and you'll do the right thing.

Melanie

·
Registered
443 Posts
We're going thru the same thing, except that I am not still nursing (and I just posted in my own blog *today* for advice on how to handle this). Our 19 month old has always been a restless sleeper: rolls, sits up, flops down, kicks, sticks his toes in our backs, sleeps sideways, on our necks, above our pillows, etc., and we are finally at the point where we can't take it anymore. (He doesn't go to bed until we do, and then he just falls asleep between my husband and I.) Additionally, I'm pregnant and I know that this will be much more of an issue once I start getting a big belly.

A month or so ago we put his crib mattress (barely used, heh!) on the floor beside our bed, and he did ok there for a week or so, but he kept rolling off of it and waking up
Since no one has been able to offer us any other real advice, we've opted to get him a toddler bed with siderails for xmas with an Elmo bedding set (he simply adores Elmo, so we're hoping it makes the bed more enticing), and hope to transition him into it sooner rather than later. I imagine it will take a whole lot of sitting with him until he falls asleep and such, but hopefully it will work. Otherwise, I swear, my husband is going to start sleeping on the floor!

·
Registered
402 Posts
DS (15 mos.) had become a very restless sleeper himself by 12 months. Same issues of toes in the ribs and somersaults all night long. I noticed on a trip without Dh how much more peacefully ds slept and when we returned home we decided to reposition. Instead of ds between us we moved the bed against the wall and transitioned ds to sleeping between it and me. He sleeps so much quieter now! I think it might have had something to do with trying to stay in contact with both of us all night long before. Now every once in a while when ds wakes to nurse he will take a peek over me to make sure his Papa is there, but otherwise his sleep is much less restless.

I still have toes in constant contact with my torso, but they are not moving, pushing, kicking, digging, etc.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts