Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you do when someone forces their child to apologize to you? Especially, when, in your opinion, the child did absolutely nothing that affected you in the slightest?

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
I say something like, "Oh that's okay, it didn't bother me a bit!" to the child, with a big smile.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by limabean View Post
I say something like, "Oh that's okay, it didn't bother me a bit!" to the child, with a big smile.
Ditto! Just convey to the child how NOT an issue it is to you.

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
"No worries! I didn't even notice!" Smile.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
I think I'd go with perhaps a smile and, "Thank you, I am ok but I appreciate your saying so."

Personally nothing irritates me more than adults who brush off apologies for things that *I* do not want my daughter to do. If you don't think an apology was needed that's ok but try not to undermine the other parents' authority in doing so, you know?

We had this happen at the grocery store the other day... a little old lady behind us was talking with her, and for some mystery reason DD decided it would be fun to swat the little old lady in the leg. I don't make DD apologize but I apologized for her and the little old lady sort of blew it off... and it's great that she wasn't hurt or anything, but I really don't like that she was giving DD the impression that it was OK because it didn't hurt her, 'cause in my book, it's just not ok to swat people, period, KWIM?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aufilia View Post
I think I'd go with perhaps a smile and, "Thank you, I am ok but I appreciate your saying so."

Personally nothing irritates me more than adults who brush off apologies for things that *I* do not want my daughter to do. If you don't think an apology was needed that's ok but try not to undermine the other parents' authority in doing so, you know?
I totally agree. be gracious but don't undermine the parents.

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by HennyPenny View Post
I totally agree. be gracious but don't undermine the parents.
Yes, same here.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Quote:

We had this happen at the grocery store the other day... a little old lady behind us was talking with her, and for some mystery reason DD decided it would be fun to swat the little old lady in the leg. I don't make DD apologize but I apologized for her and the little old lady sort of blew it off... and it's great that she wasn't hurt or anything, but I really don't like that she was giving DD the impression that it was OK because it didn't hurt her, 'cause in my book, it's just not ok to swat people, period, KWIM?

I agree. even if i don't think it's needed i try not to undermine the parents

·
Premium Member
4,556 Posts
Quote:

i agree...

it make me mad sometime because i feel like they are making the child apologize because they are in front of me. that the child has no clue what they have done because normally they get away with it. like the parent is embarrassed for themselves and it really has nothing to do with the child... does that even make sense?

·
Registered
3,157 Posts
Quote:

Agreed.
I don't worry about forced apologies, pleases, or thank yous.

In the end it's a parent trying to instill manners in their child the best way they know how.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
I'm trying to teach my children proper manners. And I believe that it is polite to apologize when you have done something that might be found offensive to someone else. What might not be offensive to you, may be offensive to someone else. When appropriate, I encourage my children to apologize to other people. I also encourage them to say please and thank you. Always. So if a parent is trying to instill manners in their child, I will appease them by thanking the child for apologizing.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
I say "thank you."

Most "forced" apologies really aren't--they're suggested or requested. I might say something if there's a threat of a spanking or a really raised voice or something.

I don't worry about it if a parent says "tell ProtoLawyer you're sorry." (Then again, I call it "potty training" and not "potty learning.")

1 - 13 of 13 Posts