Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>My 17 months old son is nearly potty trained.  He is very comfortable peeing or pooping outside (we spend 80% of our times outside) and in his red baby bjorn potty seat. My only problem is when we go somewhere and he needs go, he won't sit on the bigger toilets.  Few times, I've brought his red potty seat with me.  Instead,  I let him pee in his pants.  What would you suggest for this situation?</p>

·
Registered
26 Posts
<p>I have had similar issues with my 11-month old who's EC'd since 7 months.  Sometimes he's finicky about new situations, i.e. travel or interested in exploring the new place he's in even if it's a grimy public bathroom.  Even though we have mixed success-- sometimes using the seat reducer on the toilet and sometimes the cloth diaper-- I try to consistently que him when I'm aware he's peeing.  For some time I was a slave to the BBLP but now I just try the toilet with a seat reducer and keep him in a cloth diaper for back-up when we're out.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I think if you stick with it, reinforce with cues no matter where he eliminates, he'll come around eventually. </p>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<p>You are right, he will come around eventually. I think my aunt said something like that. It took her son a while to get comfortable using the big toilets in public. Thanks!</p>

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
<p>I just hold my DD (18m) over the big potty and sometimes she refuses, but more and more usually she'll go. Also, I sometimes will give her a chance, if nothing, I then go, then give her another chance. Even better is to have her big bro demonstrate how great the big potty is!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Oh and make sure to lay a little strip of TP over the autoflush "eye" so your baby doesn't get startled by sudden loud autoflushes while sitting on the potty.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My son actually got really obsessed with out-and-about potties, so it can go both ways! Seriously... there were a few months there (between like 22 and 26m?) where he had to pee 2 or 3 times at EVERY place we went. It was awful if we were in a rush! I mean- 3x visiting the potty while on a quick errand to the grocery store- annoying!</p>

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
<p>Tip 1: Try the big potty at home.  We've just always kept the big potty as part of our repertoire, so it's not so unfamiliar.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Tip 2: Help him to be comfortable.  Make him feel more secure by keeping him in your arms over the toilet or wrap him in your arms when you lean him over the toilet.  Consider nursing him while he goes.  DD is comforted by nursing in unfamiliar places, and sometimes, the toilet is a lot easier while nursing.  I really have to laugh at lactivist me, nursing my DD in a public toilet stall so that she'll be comfortable enough to pee in an unfamiliar toilet.  She still won't poop in a public toilet, but she's gotten to the point that she'll usually wait until we get home.</p>

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
<p>I like your tips, nurse while peeing!! I'm gonna try that.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>There are times when I bring my DS' bjorn potty seat and have him pee or poop in the car before we go into places.</p>

1 - 6 of 6 Posts