Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone offer me some advice?

We are going away this summer for two weeks. Our cat will be almost 17, but still is reasonably healthy. Our options are getting someone to come by while we're gone, probably e/o day, or board him. He's a pretty solitary guy, but two weeks is a long time to be alone.

What do you think? We unfortunately don't know anyone who could stay here

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
We've had good luck bringing in a cat sitter to feed and scoop the box once a day -- sometimes a friend or neighbor, sometimes a "pro" (VERY mixed experiences with the latter!). Our cat is openly hostile to strangers, but a nicer cat will presumably come out and get petted at that point. Ours gets kind of lonely and is always happy to see us come home, but she doesn't seem to suffer too much; she mostly just sleeps ...

Boarding is really horrible from the cat's perspective -- they're so territorial, getting sent to a strange place and stuck in a cage is very stressful. Of course, they'll survive and get over it if that's what you need to do, but I'd try to avoid it.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I would get someone to come to the house. It is so less stressful for the animal - it's hard enough that their people aren't around but if they can at least stay in their familiar environment that's huge! Plus, if you board, you have to have your cat fully vaccinated and on preventatives which is completely unnecessary - both for the health of your cat and your bank account!

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I usually take mine, but they're younger and great with cages (they like to sleep in them but prefer the door taken off after a while) and car rides. I would try very hard to find someone to come in to your house that the kitty already knows.

·
Registered
6,061 Posts
My neighbor has an old cat and whenever they leave on vacation we take care of him. She just leaves out the food and I refill the water and check on him. See if you can find a neighbor or friend to do the same, its so much less hassle.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the advice, mamas!

I was planing on leaving him home, but I just didn't know if that was too long for him to be here pretty much alone. We have friends that he knows that can check on him.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.