Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 red and 2 white from my csa. I've never seen and/or heard of this vegetable before, but I'm excited to try something with them. What does one do with such a food??!

·
Registered
2,086 Posts
Kohlrabi is a Brassica & you can treat it like you would cabbage, cauliflower or broccoli. I like it roasted with Earth Balance (or butter, whatever), nutritional yeast & paprika. Yum!

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
How do you peel it? I have tried using a carrot peeler but it was very difficult! I have avoided eating our CSA kohlrabi because it was so difficult to peel.

Namaste!

·
Registered
7,800 Posts
I trim the ends off with a paring knife, and then cut off the skin. Once you get the knife blade under the skin it peels off like broccoli stems do.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'd never eaten kohlrabi before I planted it in my garden this year. When we picked the first few, I cubed them and added them to fried rice. They were so good, the texture was creamy like a potato but tasted like cabbage (we are all cabbage lovers here). Even my ultra-picky four year old liked them.

Cathy

·
Registered
669 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well I chopped them all up and just started eating them raw. They are kind of tasty this way! Maybe I will figure something out for the rest of them for tonight - that slaw recipe looks good!

·
Registered
604 Posts
Kohlrabi Cakes

4 bulbs kohlrabi
1/4 cup chopped scallions
2 eggs (lightly beaten)
2 T bread crumbs
1 t salt
1/2 t ground ginger
1/4 t red pepper flakes crushed (I actually used hot paprika)
fresh ground pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil

Peel and shred bulbs. Squeeze out moisture.

Mix everything except oil until well blended.

Heat oil in skillet. Drop mixture by spoonfuls into pan. Saute until golden (3-4 min. per side)

Drain on paper towels.

Serve with minted yogurt sauce.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts