Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We will moving to a bigger apartment next year. It'll be in a nice area on the edge of town with quiet sidewalks and a forest nearby. DS is nearly 4 and lately has been asking for a dog.

We have been seriously considering getting a dog from the local shelter once we're settled. I am now reading up about dog behavior, training, envisioning a dog in our lives.... I think in our new place we could make it work. I think a nice first step would be to visit the shelter around Christmas and bring a present to the dogs there.

What are shelters most in want of? Chewable toys, balls, leashes, mats? Any good brand recommendations? I have never owned a dog before, so this is all very new for us.

TIA!

·
Registered
4,914 Posts
Our local shelter is always needing blankets or even old towels for bedding for the dogs.

Another thing that helps out a dog a lot is to spend a bit of time with one or two and help give them a bath and/or a good brushing. Sometimes looking nicer helps a dog find a home faster.

·
Registered
560 Posts
The shelter here is always most in need of dry dog food, cat litter, and bleach. They also usually need towels, old blankets, leashes, collars.

Or you can give your time, come walk the dogs, throw a ball, pet the cats, etc.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
Fluffy blankets, towels, treats, bones, collars, leashes, bleach, laundry soap, dish soap(not Dawn), hand sanitizer, and most of......your time volunteering
It's a great way to learn about different dog breeds and types by taking the dogs for a walk.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, you guys! I'm so excited to get to know the animals at this shelter (it's just a dog shelter, cats are in a facility across town), I've been reading everything on their website. They are a no-kill shelter and cooperate with a specially trained division of the municipal police who catch stray dogs. They offer dog training basics for new owners. I will definitely donate something to them this Christmas.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.