Mothering Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I got pregnant I was "on a diet" ... Basically, no sugar, no dairy and GF.

I'm trying to maintain that, and feel it's ok... I am eating yogurt now however.

My issue... I'm starving!!!

All I want to eat is stuff I can't/shouldn't. I am dying here. I just want a big old fat sugary chai, a loaf of bread with garlic butter or cinnamon rolls!

I probably need to seek out some other options... I typically don't have cravings... Particularly this early. It's probably all in my head.

What are you eating and what is baby demanding of you?

Side note... Hope this doesn't make someone feel bad. Sorry.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I feel your pain!! I am dairy- free, gluten-free, soy- free, egg-free, etc

All I want to eat is pizza and ramen noodles. Or Chinese. Or a fried egg and provolone sandwich on a fresh made bagel....dripping with butter. I've indulged a few times and spent hours regretting it.

I need help.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I'm a pretty clean eater and while not gluten, sugar or dairy free (I have a kid allergic to wheat and soy), I dont'
eat much of any of it. I think I have more food aversions and lack of appetite than cravings. When I do feel like eating I kind of just eat whatever I can stomach. Not much junk at least. Avocados always seem to go down easy, everything else makes me gag.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh ladies I'm right there with you! My doc just put me on a gf, df, egg-free, sugar-free, fruit-free (except blueberries) diet and I'm LOST for meal ideas. I'm trying to keep my protein up but it's so hard! A few things that are getting me by right now-
1) gf oatmeal with blueberries
2) guacamole with gf crackers
3) quesadillas with corn tortillas and soy mozzarella
4) teriyaki flavored baked tjs tofu (has a tiny bit of wheat in it at the end of the ingredient list)
5) basmati rice and black beans with cilantro
6) popcorn with evoo, sea salt, and nutritional yeast

Meat grosses me out when I'm preggo plus I just watched Food Inc, which might make me never eat meat again! Hope these ideas help you gals out!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oh ladies I'm right there with you! My doc just put me on a gf, df, egg-free, sugar-free, fruit-free (except blueberries) diet and I'm LOST for meal ideas. I'm trying to keep my protein up but it's so hard! A few things that are getting me by right now-
1) gf oatmeal with blueberries
2) guacamole with gf crackers
3) quesadillas with corn tortillas and soy mozzarella
4) teriyaki flavored baked tjs tofu (has a tiny bit of wheat in it at the end of the ingredient list)
5) basmati rice and black beans with cilantro
6) popcorn with evoo, sea salt, and nutritional yeast

Meat grosses me out when I'm preggo plus I just watched Food Inc, which might make me never eat meat again! Hope these ideas help you gals out!

Meat totally grosses me out too. I was a vegetarian for 7 years and normally don't eat much anyway but when I'm pregnant it's a whole new level of gross.

Except....frozen breaded chicken...with pickles....and ketchup I can't even type it without laughing!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Food inc is one of my favorite documentaries!!

I know the aversions are coming, if history repeats itself. In fact, this morning I'm feeling nauseated from the get go.

I get a lot of my recipes from Pinterest. That site is a lifesaver. Also, fatfreevegan(dot)com has a lot of great recipes.

·
Registered
738 Posts
not pregnant- but what about glass noodles?

Just recalling how much I like Japchae as I read these posts. Surely that would be gluten free? I think there are other types of noodles made from beans etc.

I think there are a lot of variations (as with any traditional dish):
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sweet-potato-noodles-japchae-353229
http://crazykoreancooking.com/recipe/stir-fried-glass-noodles-japchae

A lot of asian cooking includes gluten free as they don't typically feature a ton of wheat products.

·
Registered
10 Posts
DD and I have sensitivities to soy and DH has issues with dairy. With my daughter I wanted lots of fruit, especially oranges. This time around fruit and anything remotely sweet makes me queasy. I usually cook with coconut oil but right now the flavor is overwhelmingly strong and sweet to me. I want protein, and lots of it! My breakfast today was a bowl of quinoa with radishes and broccoli from our garden, soaked raw cashews and some grassfed butter. DH looked at me like I was crazy :smile: Also, we have 7 free range chickens that we keep for eggs and I am eating as many as they can lay and actually told my husband that we need to get more haha!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Just recalling how much I like Japchae as I read these posts. Surely that would be gluten free? I think there are other types of noodles made from beans etc.

I think there are a lot of variations (as with any traditional dish):
http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sweet-potato-noodles-japchae-353229
http://crazykoreancooking.com/recipe/stir-fried-glass-noodles-japchae

A lot of asian cooking includes gluten free as they don't typically feature a ton of wheat products.
I lived in Korea for over three years, I love me so japchae! I bet it's just rice roodles so gluten free

DD and I have sensitivities to soy and DH has issues with dairy. With my daughter I wanted lots of fruit, especially oranges. This time around fruit and anything remotely sweet makes me queasy. I usually cook with coconut oil but right now the flavor is overwhelmingly strong and sweet to me. I want protein, and lots of it! My breakfast today was a bowl of quinoa with radishes and broccoli from our garden, soaked raw cashews and some grassfed butter. DH looked at me like I was crazy :smile: Also, we have 7 free range chickens that we keep for eggs and I am eating as many as they can lay and actually told my husband that we need to get more haha!
Totally craving protein but don't want protein foods! Eggs while pregnant....barf :)

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah! Eggs each morning are the only thing keeping me going!
I am still struggling!
I tried making grilled chicken and salad last night, but the chicken felt "rubbery" when I bit it! I know it's totally just pregnancy junk, but I couldn't do it! I have no desire to cook and all the desire to eat but not anything that I'm able to!
I'm about to break out a can of ginger ale...

·
Registered
25 Posts
Yeah! Eggs each morning are the only thing keeping me going!
I am still struggling!
I tried making grilled chicken and salad last night, but the chicken felt "rubbery" when I bit it! I know it's totally just pregnancy junk, but I couldn't do it! I have no desire to cook and all the desire to eat but not anything that I'm able to!
I'm about to break out a can of ginger ale...
"I have no desire to cook and all the desire to eat..."

THIS!! I'm right there with you! Lol.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I feel the same way!

I have been eating baked potatoes lately. They really help settle my stomach.

I agree with several of you above, eggs seem like the worst idea. I was eating 2 to 3 eggs everyday before the pregnancy, but can't stand the thought of them now.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Same here, no desire to cook very much at all :/ but constantly hungry. But then there are times I am hungry and nothing sounds good. Things I normally love taste different now.
I was doing Trim Healthy Mama before I got pregnant and lost 12 pounds. Already gained some of that back. I can still tolerate sprouted 7 grain ezekial bread pretty well and it's full of protein. But I was limiting my sugar, eating a lot of veggies and protein. No potatoes, no white stuff, except rice occasionally. I have been craving juice off and on and it doesn't give me heartburn yet water does. Go figure. I usually love water. I try to drink as much as a I can though still.

Hoping as I get into the second trimester I can eat a little closer to how I was. Now it's whatever I can tolerate....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts