Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So...I'm not used to this, lol. DD was a boob baby. nursed non stop for 2 years. then with short breaks another 6 months. LOL. anyway...ds is NOT a boob man. i mean..he'll take his milky a couple times a day, but he mostly just wants food. Ad has since he was like 5 months old. honestly, if i weren't as experienced and knowledgable, i can TOTALLY see how some women say that their child "self-weaned at 7/8/9 months" because I basically forced him to keep nursing. He is an absolute chow-hound and is all about the food.
: I've been trying to hold back on the solids and keep his nursing up for the last 6 months, but at this point..he's a year in a couple weeks, so I've started allowing him to have a lot more solids lately...like maybe 2 complete "meals" and a few snacks per day, instead of just the tiny bits, tastes and snacks that I limited him to when he was younger.
so...I work outside the home. I have been on a part time schedule with breaks every couple hours to come home and nurse him. (ya, sweet set-up, I know and am grateful) but now I am going to be working more days, and longer shifts, although still part time. i have been leaving watered down juice with him to drink while I'm gone(well, when he was very young, under 6 months, I left pumped milk, but pumping is very difficult to me, it tears up my nipples, causes lots of pain, and i barely get anything, which is why I came home to nurse instead of just pumping when he was younger.)
so anyway...he will need something to drink while i am gone to work..should i just leave plain water? watered down juice? cows milk? formula milk? i wont be able to pump even if i wanted to, since my work is "in the field" and it's not like i can pump at a clients house while I'm there checking to make sure they aren't abusing their kids...

so anyway...he will still be getting milky all day long several days per week when I'm not working, and when I'm home on the days I do work. What should his beverage be when I'm not there? The juice annoys me because of the sugar..but I'm hesitant to leave just plain water or tea, because he is already compeltely under the charts for height and weight (he's tiny) so giving him a liquid with NO calories in it seems like a bad idea....so cow milk? We have access to raw organic cow milk....or should I make up some formula? We do not believe soy milk is good for you, so no offense to anyone else, but please don't suggest that. there are numerous nut allergies in the family, so I don't want to go the nut milk route either. no one has cow milk allergies though.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I'd use the raw organic cow's milk. We use raw organic goat's milk, but we're all cow milk lactose intolerant.

I wouldn't give a thin child something calorie-less to drink during the day. I think he'll drink grudgingly out of a cup, some cow's milk, and be thrilled when you're home to nurse him on your days off.

Juice is just empty sugar calories with a smattering of vitamin C, I've never given juice to my children. When they're old enough to eat they eat bits of real fruit. So I'm not on the juice wagon.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Whole fat cow or goat's milk is probably best if he's small. I'll add though that my 14 month old loves V8; my husband drinks it and she thinks that it's great
(I try to make them stick with low sodium.) So if for some reason he doesn't like animal milk, you could try some form of vegetable juice. My kid may just be weird though because she is also obsessed with tea and coffee.

·
Registered
5,835 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kel32brown View Post
I think he'll drink grudgingly out of a cup, some cow's milk, and be thrilled when you're home to nurse him on your days off.
:

no really..honestly, he grudgingly takes the boob, he enthusiastically and with relish and extreme joy eats and drinks everything else, lol. He will dis me even when I'm HERE for his sister's and brothers' food, cups, etc. It's so different for me, since dd wanted nothign that wasn't boob forever....be he really is ALL about the food....

Ya, i think the milk is probably best.....I just wanted to see what others thought.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.