Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the sleep board but figured there could be some BTDTs here too! ...<br><br>
I am 10 wks preg and have a 20-month-old ds. We cosleep and he nurses to sleep, and nurses at least twice during the night (lately only twice). I think my supply must have lessened in the past couple weeks, or the milk is different now (due to being pg) and ds is sometimes getting frustrated trying to nurse to sleep, wanting to keep switching sides, seeming to hope for something better on the other side! He's always taken a fairly long time to get to sleep - some nursing, some playing around, talking to himself, more nursing, etc. But this week he just doesn't seem to be getting as much milk as he wants/needs, and ends up just crying, so I pick him up to rock him and he falls asleep that way. It's just taking so much longer than it used to. The good thing is he's waking a bit less during the night, I guess he might be doing some nightweaning as a result of all this. And it's nice that dh is involved a bit more in the bedtime routine (singing, rocking) than before, since ds is asking for him. Last night, though, he was up from 2am-4am, being frustrated with the nursing, not able to fall asleep.<br><br>
My question - where do I go from here? I have a sippy cup of water on hand at night now, and a couple times he took me up on my offer of water during the night, and maybe it quenches some thirst, but it doesn't seem to help him fall asleep. For those of you not nursing to sleep anymore, what's your bedtime routine? Do you give a snack right before bed - and what kind of snack, and do you actually eat it in bed? Do you give a sippy cup of milk/soymilk/water/etc? What do you do to get them to fall asleep after night wakings? Thanks for any ideas and advice! I'm glad actually, if this is the start of a transition to less nursing at night for us, but it saddens me that it seems frustrating for ds right now.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
We're going through some of the same stuff. We night weaned about 4 mos ago (ds is 22 mos) and now he's really grumpy at bed time, and crying and asking for "other num" while he's nursing to sleep, when he's already sampled both several times.<br><br>
So, first, when we were nightweaning, I found that it took a while for him to make some new sleep associations, because he was so used to nursing to sleep. So for the first two or three nights he was up for an hour or so at night -- not neccessarily even upset, just not sleeping. So I would rock him and walk him in the sling and tell him little stories and snuggle in bed with him, and after a few days it was down to an hour, then half an hour, and now if he wakes at night (he does about twice a week still), I just put him right in the sling and walk him around for 10 min. and he's out again. But if I don't catch him while he's still sleepy, then it's a longer, more involved process. I also found that he sometimes needed water because he was just thirsty, so I try to always have a sippy cup of water on hand at night. I found that just being consistent in what you do every night was the best thing -- he slowly adjusted to this new sleep pattern.<br><br>
As for getting him to bed at night, we are struggling with the same thing. So far we've been doing bath, snack at the kitchen table, then lying in bed to read books (instead of sitting in the rocking chair), then nursing a little bit and saying "bye bye" to the nums, then going for a walk in the stroller with a sippy cup of milk (hot or cold, whichever he wants). He usually falls asleep on the walk. Last night he didn't, so I turned off all the lights and had to sing to him and tell him little stories while rocking him to sleep. We've been doing this for a couple of weeks now, and he's starting to adjust to it -- again, its taken time and consistency, and because he's a high needs kind of guy, he takes a long time to adjust to change.<br><br>
I hope that helps, and I hope your ds starts to sleep better soon.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I don't have many ideas for you but wanted to let you know you aren't alone. We have been dealing with the same thing. DD wakes up between 2 and 3 AM; she stays awake tossing and turning anywhere from 1-3 hours. I give her a high protien/fat snack right before bed and sometimes it helps. Lately, I have been giving her toast with tahini and honey. Hope all of us start getting some sleep soon.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Same here, we load dd up with a snack and sippy right before bed, nurse to sleep (if I can stand it!) and then dh works with her when she wakes at night.<br><br>
WE've been offering a sippy of water and a snack - usually she says "hungry eat" and will take one bite of banana or eat one grape then put her head down on dh's shoulder and is ready to go back to bed. In that regard, I guess we're doing well and I'm very lucky.<br><br>
We need help with the going to bed part - right now I'm SO irritated with nursing her for more than 10 min at a time, and she needs a good 20 min of boob to calm down and rest. I just am ready to crawl out of my skin though!<br><br>
Naptime is even worse than bedtime, anyone have any ideas? She won't be rocked, won't snuggle, she'd rather fight her way out of the bed and into the hall and play longer, even though she's practically stumbling with exhaustion.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If you have the energy, the stroller is my lifesaver right now for naps, too. This is because he is a) strapped in, b) occupied by the scenery, c) still within seeing / talking distance from mom or dad and d) lulled to sleep by the motion. The car works too, but I never have the car during the day.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
We just had to come up with a routine all of a sudden, we weaned pretty suddenly. So we have had a bedtime routine forever, dinner, play a bit, bath, brush teeth and hair, then lay down together. We used to nurse, now she just lays her head on my shoulder and I sing to her and play with her hair, and rub her arms and back and she falls asleep in like 5-10 minutes. It used to take her 30 min-1hour to fall asleep nursing. At night she wakes up 1-2 times, I put her back on my shoulder and hold her and tell her "it's okay mama's got you" or something (it is usually 2am, who knows what I say, but I try to be reassuring and give her lots of love) and she usually falls right back asleep.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the all the helpful responses. It's reassuring to know it can be done! Things are still going okay considering he's nursing less at night - he's allowing dh or I to rock and sing to him and it seems to be helping things along. I hope the night nursing does continue to taper off peacefully. Lisa, the only suggestion I have for you is to try taking breaks from nursing and get up and rock - anyway, that's what we do. I can't stand the marathon nursing sessions either, especially after he stops really nursing and starts nibbling/chewing/comfort nursing, I guess. He often doesn't totally fall asleep rocking but somehow it gets him to a deeper level of readiness to go to sleep (sometimes he burps, too, which may help). When he keeps getting up to play I basically just pick him up and bring him back to bed and tell him we'll play more tomorrow/after nap, and I tell him he's tired. Eventually he does give in. It also helps ds for me to talk about all the playing he *did* do. Good luck!

·
Registered
874 Posts
When I nightweaned my daughter, we switched to water in a bottle, rocking in the chair and singing in the dark- repeating when she woke during the night. We managed to move to no water, laying down in the dark and singing. Eventually we could lay down without singing. She would find slipping a hand in the top on my shirt to rest on my breast comforting. Nap times were tougher for my dd, and she dropped them pretty early altogether, but when she did still nap, I could only get her down driving in the car, and sometimes riding in a stroller after we dropped naptime nursing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts