Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
3,522 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jmom
Most of those folks are pet owners, and they see parallels between parenting children and training pets!
I definitly have to agree with these people. It has been shown that pets respond much better to encouragment than to punishment. If you put a dogs nose in its poop and yell at/hit it, it doesn't work nearly as well as if you tell them that did a good job/pet/hug them for pooping outside. So I do see parallels, not that it is beneficial to spank a child but that it is beneficial to encourage them and use positive reinforcment.

· Registered
3,522 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by abac
My sister trains her dog by rewards and praise and says she would never hit him, yet she hits her kids.

That's so sad that the dogs are getting treated better than the children.
I wonder if the kids are / will be jealous of the dogs.

I guess I never answered the original question... sorry got a little OT.
I usually say "Well, I personally won't ever do that. I just don't feel it's right." Is usually what I use. When DS was about 4 months old (sleeping through the night except to wake up 3 times a night to nurse, then right back to sleep) my friend told me I should use CIO, it would only take a few days and he would sleep through the night, etc. I just said "I will never put my child through that." very firm. She opened her mouth to say something with a "you will be sorry" look on her face, but someone else started talking and the subject was changed.

I do the same thing with spanking. I say "Well, I understand that you choose to spank but I personally don't do that."

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.