Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a really bad case of Mastitis right now and my supply is near gone. DS is frustrated nursing and isn't peeing enough. He is eating a LOT of food. But he needs more to drink. What should I give him? He can't have cow milk (allergy) and I would like to avoid soy. Is it ok if he is supplemented with water or tea for a few days until I can get my supply back? I normally do not give him water/tea.

ETA, he is 12 months old

· Registered
789 Posts
My 14 month old drinks both water and tea in small amounts because she thinks they're fun, so they're probably not harmful although I don't know if they'd be nutritionally adequate to replace breast milk. She also drinks soy milk, rice milk and V8 with no problems. I've seen other moms on here post about giving toddlers hemp milk, but I've never tried it myself. If you don't want to do soy, and your son is allergic to cows, have you considered goats milk? It might be more nutritionally advantageous than plain water.

· Registered
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I forgot about goats milk. Thanks. I think I will stick with water for the rest of today. I am too sick to drive the 45 miles each way for goats milk. Hopefully, I will be up to it tomorrow or I will send dh to get some. Thanks!

· Registered
45,796 Posts
I've always offered my kids water, from the time they started solids! If your toddler is eating plenty of solids, but not getting enough fluids, then water is the perfect thing to give him.

· Registered
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think he eats PLENTY of food. Today he ate 2 banana's, about 6 crackers, lots of tofu, a few mushrooms, 1/2 slice french toast, and two fig newtons. (yeah, I know the fig newtons and crackers aren't great, but they kept him happy while I rested.) He still has to eat dinner, which he will not turn down. He is getting some milk from me, I know I am not dry, as I can still pump a tiny bit, about an ounce, when he is done. (I EP for my dd, and I usually get 3-4 oz after ds is done nursing) But he is not getting enough to get 6 heavy wet diapers. He has 3 wet diapers and two poops so far at 6pm.

DH did offer him some water from a water bottle before. He drank about 1-1.5 oz. I will continue to offer water after he nurses if he seems like he was wanting more than he was getting from me. I just hope I quit feeling so crappy and my supply goes back up again!

How much water is TOO much water for a 12 month old who eats well?

· Registered
430 Posts
We offer our babe goats milk as it is far superior to anything other than breastmilk in my opinion and we also do some organic smoothies mixed with rice milk as a special treat which he enjoys a bunch! Can I ask though why you want to avoid soy milk if you allow him to eat tofu?? I am not an advocate for soy, in fact I am very against it, but I was just wondering if there was a reason no soy milk but tofu?? Thanks!

Oh and as much as I truly dislike *walmart* (ACH) they do sell goats milk or at least at ours they do...and as much as I prefer raw goats milk to pasteurized goats milk, I'll take what I can get close!!! If you have that where you are, maybe check there before making the long haul wherever you have to go otherwise!

· Registered
6,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The tofu is from take out chinese. I normally don't give him tofu, I am just too sick to actually make anything. I dont want him having soy. Our closest wal-mart is 45 miles away. That is where I would get goat milk. We are in the boonies. All we have here is a tiny family owned grocery store. He seems ok with water, so I will just stick with that. He had about 4 oz yesterday so it does not seem excessive.

· Registered
791 Posts
I would think water is not only fine...but that he Should be drinking water by this age..... when they're exclusively bf'ed they don't need water as their food is liquids but once they start eating solids ("real" foods not necessarily purees that are watery too) they need water as well.

· Registered
780 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jkseawell View Post
Can I ask though why you want to avoid soy milk if you allow him to eat tofu?? I am not an advocate for soy, in fact I am very against it, but I was just wondering if there was a reason no soy milk but tofu?? Thanks!
There is a difference in soy milk and tofu. Tofu, and other fermented soy products, are what the asian cultures eat that have so many health benefits. Soy milk, as it is available here in the states, is HIGHLY processed. Also, the fermented foods do not have the estrogenic effects of soy, which I'm assuming is why your opposed to soy. I eat tofu and edamame, but avoid processed soy products like soy milk, soy cheese, veggie burgers, etc.

· Registered
2,992 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by azmomtoone View Post
I would think water is not only fine...but that he Should be drinking water by this age..... when they're exclusively bf'ed they don't need water as their food is liquids but once they start eating solids ("real" foods not necessarily purees that are watery too) they need water as well.
agree!!

· Registered
371 Posts
I had recurrent mastitis at one point with my first child. One thing that really helped was taking hot water and pouring it on a diaper, and using that for a hot pack while the baby nursed. Maybe that will help you too. I took antibiotics, as I kept hitting 104* fevers, but kept nursing, and it went away, to return again in six weeks.

My milk supply didn't drop, but with my second it dropped, and I began drinking Mothers milk tea. Have you any of that?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.