Mothering Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>2yo ds is going to start antibiotics tomorrow, maybe Tuesday, for an ingrown toenail.  On Friday we went to see the doctor and she said that if the redness didn't get better or got worse then to start the antibiotics.  It has been a week since it all started and honestly I think the redness has gotten a little better  but it is still there.  I have tried everything I can think of including soaking a few times a day in epsom salt and giving him straight oil of oregano several times a day.  I think if I had started the oil of oregano sooner it may be better now  also maybe I should have soaked it more at the start but it kind of got real bad overnight, and after he dropped a wooden puzzle on it.  It looks so painful, and he says it is though not enough to keep him off his feet lol.  </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Anyway I was wondering what if anything we should do with him while he is on the antibiotics, I know he has to finish all the medicine but that's about all I know.  Are there foods he should eat to help the medicine and/or help his immune system since the meds will be killing a lot of good antibodies as well as the infection (that is how they work right?)  I wish we didn't have to give his little system the meds. but I just want his little toe to be better and back to normal quick and I really don't want it to get any worse.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks mamas!</p>

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Yes, take S. boulardii which is a probiotic yeast that isn't killed off by antibiotics. I always take it concurrently when I am on antibiotics. Post anti-biotics, more probiotics and probiotic foods (fermented stuff, yogurt, etc) are helpful to heal the gut.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts