Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
934 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to confess that at 13 months, dd hardly eats any solds - still BF almost exlusively, so we haven't worried about brushing. But now I think we need to start. What toothbrushes / toothpaste do you like?

·
Registered
462 Posts
Well for a little one you want to make sure that the brush is very soft. I got Tina a soft child's brush around that age.<br>
As far as toothpaste goes, we all love Kiss My Face Whitening toothpast with Aloe Vera. it has a minty tast, but not gross and overpowering. Whatever you choose, make sure it is flouride and sodium laurel sulfate free. oral B little bear toothpaste for children is the only drugstre brand I know of, and Kiss My Face is the only natural one that is flouride and SLS free I have found (I looked at Tom's, Dessert Essence and Nature's Gate)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
There are two threads where you can find a lot of info about toothpastes. One is a poll "Toothbrushes, toothpastes, and mouth rinses". The other is "My new favorite toothpaste".<br>
We use Tom's flouride orange mango and Tom's non-flouride silly strawberry. In the beginning, we used a Weleda brand for children.<br>
Mamaof2, I read that Burt's Bees Lavender mint is also SLS free.<br>
If this is a concern, I also read that there are more adult toothpastes that are SLS free (& flouride free) than kid toothpastes. And often the difference between adults and kids are the flavors and the marketing....

·
Banned
1,592 Posts
Well, we were using Tom's of Maine without fluoride. But, after reading posts where Smilemomma quoted studies that say kids DO need fluoride in their toothpaste (and we have no other source of fluoride--not water, no drops, etc.) we have switched to Tom's of Maine WITH fluoride. I like Tom's because it is much more natural (as is Weleda, I believe.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts