Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering writing some children's books (toddlers thru early elementary school age) for alternative parenting styles or family backgrounds. I've just noticed that most of the books out there seem to be very mainstream, and wouldn't describe the families here on MDC. For instance, I'd like to write about homebirth, CLW, and things of that sort. Does anyone have any topics they deal with that are hard to find in mainstream children's books?

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
How about alternative schooling? Homeschooling, unschooling, alternative schools...

I think it's a great idea to put these different things into a book without making the book specifically about that subject.

·
Registered
202 Posts
As a single mom I would like to see that in children's books.....Also, boys doing/playing in "non traditional/mainstream boy" styles so that the boy who wants a doll or doesn't want to play with trucks can see that reality reflected in a story...When I taught elementary I was always looking for alternative type of books and hardly ever found any, so your effort will be greatly appreciated by parents, caregivers, and teachers alike...

·
Registered
8,753 Posts
A less creepy version of that I'll Love You Forever book about the mom who sneaks over to her adult son's house with a ladder and climbs in his window at night.

The basic concept of that book is good, that a mother's love stays the same but the pictures are awful (showing sulky teenagers in a messy room). I'd like a book that doesn't emphasis being independent and leaving your mother when you grow up, but that emphasizes having a continued close relationship. I think this would be reassuring for kids with separation anxiety who find the concept of growing up and leaving home scary. I tell my ds when he tells me that he doesn't want to grow up, that growing up doesn't mean things have to change. It means he can reach things that are higher, like the light switches and other good stuff, but we can still cuddle and be together, etc.

More books with homeschooling would be great to balance all the getting ready for school/school is great ones. Homebirth and extended nursing would be great, too. I agree with the pp that these topics don't have to be the main thing. They can just be asides or hinted at.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks a bunch, and keep em coming! The more suggestions I get, the more books will be out there for parents and children!

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
i'd like like to see a bok that cover some of the non-traditional ways families might happen. families with two mommies or daddies, step-families, etc

i'd love to see a good kids book about domestic violence b/c thats why i left dd's dad and it is a tough subject to broach w/ her. also a kids book about alcholism that is respectful of the alchoholic parent ykwim?

breastfeeding is something thats hard to find pictured.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
lol, oh you can bet there won't be any bottles in my books! (Except the one I'm doing about preemies, and it is specified pumped)

they're not all necessarily "crunchy" (I'm doing one on c-section, although I will not include any reference to why the c-section is taking place) but they will definitely be alternative-friendly, with mixed families, breastfeeding, co-sleeping, babywearing etc. being the norm rather than the exception. These are things I not only want to write about, but play my hand in normalizing. Anything alternative I can throw in that is not the focus of the book will be shown as the norm, because for so many families it is the norm!

(btw-- I have two mommies! And so does DH!)

·
Premium Member
12,445 Posts
Parents of different AGES -- as an 'older' parent (just turned 40), I'm sensitive to the fact that all the books seem to have 20 something parents, and grandparents in their 60s. My parents are in their 80s - and it's different having an older grandparent or parent. Our son's best friend has parents who are in their 50s. I can imagine that 'younger' parents find it hard to see themselves pictured.

Ditto on the mixed ethnicity families. We just met a great family at the park last night with an Aisan mom, Caucasian dad - where are those kids going to find themselves in books? Ditto for other kinds of mixes.

Books about trucks and machinery that picture GIRLS and WOMEN, not just boys and men. Dd is quite into trucks and trains and almost every single one has only boys/men.

Stay at home dads (dh is one, and he finds it very isolating -- the SAHMs don't really include him, and there aren't enough SAHDs in our area for a 'group' to click).

That's all I can think of for now. Oh, when I was expecting I swore I was going to write a book about "Little Garbage Truck gets a little brother/sister"
-- as garbage trucks were our son's passion and the 'traditional' new baby books weren't interesting him at all.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Lynn, I totally understand you, I'm on the other side of the spectrum (I'm 19, with parents in their early 40's) That's definitely something to think about.

Garbage trucks, huh? That's a new one! I'm thinking about also doing a series of different careers, because there's always children's books about doctors, vets, teachers and astronauts, but not enough about other common careers. Garbage collector is a good one! I think it would be a unique book!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts