Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that even the best AP mamas have their toy indulgences- those items that will occupy your wee one while you pee, cook a quick breakfast, etc.

We have tried a swing, bouncy seat, and play gym. He's ok in them, but doesn't really enjoy them. The gym is best so far cause hes a squirmy one, so he can roll around.

I was thinking that maybe an excersaucer might be good because he is so active. He's not quite sitting up on his own though. I also hear about a Johnny Jump Up.. what exactly is that?

Any other tips? The grandparents are visiting this weekend, it wouldnt take much for them to happily buy him something!

·
Registered
15,101 Posts
Is my babe the only one not OK with swings or bouncy seats, etc?
I'm SO not critisizing...I'd LOVE if I could use these things from time to time but there is NO WAY. She loses her mind if I put her on the mat in front of the toilet so I can wipe. (WAAAAAY TMI, I know...)

We have a video game chair. (Rocker that is curved, that sits on the ground...KWIM?) She'll sit there if I sit directly in front of her. For a bit.

As far as "toys" her fave is mama's knuckles.

This kid is UBER klingy. (Or, as DH says, "She's a Klingon!")

·
Registered
5,218 Posts
Around that age dd started tolerating the bouncy long enough for me to shower. Most days. A Johnny Jump-up is a seat that's hung on a spring and you hang that in your doorway. We have that and an exersaucer, so I'm no purist, but at 4 months I felt that dd was a little young for that type of activity. When she was able to sit up on her own and obviously stronger in her upper body, I put her in them, but never for longer than 10-15 minutes (she got bored at that point anyway), and usually not every day. My chiro was adamantly opposed to both of them, but I figured a few minutes wasn't going to kill her. And often it was that few minutes that allowed me to make something to eat ... sometimes for the first and only time that day!

·
Registered
4,568 Posts
G loved his Johnny Jump Up but not really till about 5 months or so. He enjoyed the exersaucer too, but JJU was his favorite!

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
Mine used to like her exersaucer, but only for 5 minutes. Never liked the JJU. Not one for mobiles or much of anything really. I used to put her in an umbrella stroller while I went to the bathroom.
That way she could be right with me. We have all the gadgets, but she does not like any of them. Her grandparents buy her EVERYTHING. My house is full of toys, but she would rather play with stuff she isn't allowed to have. (dirty shoes, the mop, kitty, etc)

·
Registered
7,108 Posts
I have a really sick dog at the moment (she killed a toxic frog, but she's going to be Ok) and the exercauser has been such a HUGE help these past few days. I am not kidding when I say I litterally had to wash the dust off the toys before I put her in it, but there was just no way I was going to scrub toxic dog barf with her in the wrap. She hates being horizontal, so being upright like that has afforded me the time to clean up doggy messes without her getting upset.

·
Registered
455 Posts
My 4.5 month old has always hated the bouncy seat and swing, so no luck there. She also hates being left alone on the floor to play. (Or being put down at all.) The only thing that has worked is a Bubmbo seat. Now I know that most on here hate them, but she in it so rarely, and it really is a sanity saver. If I need to shower or cook something quickly, I put her on the floor in it with toys all around. She's completely fascinated by things when she can sit up and look at them.

·
Registered
6,794 Posts
My guy is starting to love the exersaucer right about now. It's best when I'm right next to him, but at least I get some hands free time. It's nice.

The johnny jump up is probably for kids a little older--5 or 6 months, I'd say. They need to be pretty stable in their trunks and legs in order to stay comfortable and calm in the thing. Noah can sit on his own, but the jumper was too much. We'll try it again in a few weeks.

·
Registered
435 Posts
My baby doesn't really like any of these things. I try and try, but all she wants is to sit upright and be involved in our business.

She used to like the the bouncy seat and the swing, but now doesn't. She will tolerate the exersaucer for about 5 min. One of the Bumbo?? things would probably be perfect for her but I haven't bought one since she doens't really like any of these things. She just wants to be on my lap or hip. She wants to be engaged and you're right--sometimes we just can't do it.

I generally will rotate her around--exersaucer to swing to floor. Then, once dinner's made or the laundry's folded or sister's been played with, I pick her up and give her full attention. I haven't found anything she really likes for long except for people. I don't want to get yelled at--I'm not leaving her there crying, but I'm sitting giving her my full attention either. Sometimes she just can't be the center of my attention.

·
Registered
64 Posts
the jumper! He LOVES it. I got paranoid about it and starting thinking that I wouldn't put him in it any more, but he loves it soooo much, so we're still using it.
I think he started around 3 months, he was ready and now, at 7.5 months, he's gonna be too big for it soon. Plus it's fun to watch him hop.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'd say take your dc to a baby store (with the grandparents, of course!) and try stuff out!! You'll find out which ones he/she likes.

Mary

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I vote for exersaucer. Mine is 4.5 months and he LOVES IT. Plus I feel better about keeping him upright to avoid flathead when I have to do something and I can't hold him.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
There is a product called a jumparoo which is like that jumper you asked about except it doesn't hang from the door frame. It has adjustable settings for the size of your baby and sits on the floor. It also has toys and makes music when baby jumps. My ds is too young to acutally jump, but he wiggles and likes the music that plays. It is good also because he is not on his back in it like a boucy chair or swing.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
My kids were all different. DS1 wanted nothing to do with anything that wasn't mama until almost a year. DS2 was happy in a walker (wheels locked) or his rocker chair (we have the infant to toddler one) with the little toys attached. By DD we had lost the toys but she'll sit in the rocker or in her bassinet with a plastic cup, a boobah or a rubber key ring toy and be content for hours. We don't have a swing and she's still too little (almost 5 mos) for the Johnny Jump up, DS2 did ok in it after about 6 months or so. I can also lay her on her belly on a soft blanket on the floor with some blocks or her cup and she'll amuse herself for a few.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts