Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I feel like 17mo DS has WAY too many toys - and I have rarely bought any for him!!! Where do they all come from? Most of them he doesn't play with consistently. His fave thing right now is actually books, but I can't read to him all the time, LOL! I like what I've read about having creative toys w/lots of uses, but at this age he doesn't seem to be into "creative" play just yet. It's sort of a transitional age, isn't it?<br><br>
A lot of his toys are from when he was an infant, and he's not very interested in them anymore - but I don't want to get rid of them yet (saving for whenever we have DC#2). But I do want to get rid of some of the toys, maybe donate and buy others that are more age-appropriate (and can grow w/him).<br><br>
What do mamas suggest as the best toys for a child this age? And how many is a reasonable number to keep "in rotation"?

·
Registered
497 Posts
I think the best toys are whatever your DS likes! We recently put away baby toys (my DD is 15 months). She's enjoying playing with stacking toys, the toy with the beads that go on different wires (don't know how to explain it), and toys she can pull. She also loves dolls and stuffed animals. She mostly looks at books these days, though. I have blocks, Legos, and other slightly more advanced toys out so she'll have them to play with when she's ready. I bought her crayons to try out, but she's not really ready for them. She likes tossing them on the floor and then putting them back in the box more than coloring with them. Again, I'll keep trying so she'll have them when she's ready. I hope that helps.<br><br>
Jennifer

·
Registered
616 Posts
I would definitely put some away for now and take them out later - they'll be new all over again! When I started pulling baby toys out for DD, my DS was all over them, even though the reason they were put up was b/c he wasn't playing with them anymore.<br><br>
What about some pull or push toys? My DS has a dog on a string he loves to take around with him, a lawn mover for working out in the yard. Riding toys are great at that age since they're building their coordination. We keep one indoors and the others stay outside.<br>
Balls are great inside and out. You can really wear them out chasing after them!<br><br>
See if your library has a copy of the Toddlers Busy Book. I got it from a mama here, and it's wonderful. It's full of ideas of things you can play/make/do at home, mostly out of stuff you already have. Great for cold or rainy days.

·
Registered
2,899 Posts
Blocks are the best. Right now you can build a tower that he can enjoy knocking over, and then soon he'll be stacking them himself. Shape sorters are also great, as are puzzles with the knobs. Playsilks, or colored scarves are all kinds of fun.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
My daughter went through a couple of months (around 15-17 mos) where she hardly played with toys at all. It's hard to even account for what she was doing during that time - I think we spent a LOT of time outside, and she colored absolutely every scrap of paper in the house with crayons. And she moved fridge magnets around. That was about it. We went to visit relatives during that time, and my husband and I were like, "We need to pack toys for the trip... can <i>you</i> think of anything she plays with?"<br><br>
Now she's 18.5 months and into toys again. Big favorites in our house right now: square wooden alphabet blocks, big sturdy plastic dump truck, toy school bus with riders, balls of all sizes. And books.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
My 15 1/2 mo. old toddler also plays with the toys other pp have mentioned. Some of the toys my toddler plays with regularly are wooden pull toys, a FP popcorn popper push toy, a push car, a shopping cart that he pushes all over the house, wooden blocks, wooden ring stacker, wooden bead maze, FP Little People and cardboard nesting blocks (under my supervision so he doens't squash them). And of course, books. Oh, he also has his own little children's laptop.<br><br>
We have a few other misc. toys but I don't like having too many around the house. I've put away some infant toys for the next baby, whenever that time comes, and gave a few away that were gifts that got on my nerves or were duplicates. I've been trying not to buy any more for DS so that relatives could have something to give him for Christmas.<br><br>
Do you have wooden knob/peg puzzles? My DS loves to bang the pieces together or hide them in flower pots or in the dog food bin.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Doll stroller! He loves to take everything for walks around the house, and chase us and chase the cat with it. The best 8 bucks I've spent.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts