Mothering Forum banner

Wht type of unschooler are you?

• We do some type of 'unschool' everyday with a relaxed schedule and curriculum.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • We do some type of 'unschool' a few days a week with or without curriculum.

Votes: 10 23.3%
  • We rarely do any 'unschool', we live and teach through learning. Books are occasionaly brought out.

Votes: 8 18.6%
  • We just live. Learning will happen when it happens.

Votes: 24 55.8%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
We do some type of 'unschool' everyday with a relaxed schedule and curriculum.

this makes little sense. If you do curriculum then you do some type of "school or school at home" and not unschool.
Maybe refrase it a bit?

·
Registered
132 Posts
"We rarely do any 'unschool', we live and teach through learning. Books are occasionaly brought out. "

This makes even less sense. : We live and teach through learning?
Did you mean : We teach and learn through living?

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Isn't the whole point of unschooling NOT separating "school" from "life"?

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Unusual poll, indeed.

We just live. However, to say that books are 'occasionally brought out' is so odd, we are surrounded by thousands of books in our house. They're out on shelves like they would be in any other house. They aren't TEXTBOOKS (well, not all of them, we do have some texts that were requested), but real life, just living, books. Most of my kids read each day, or we read to them.

(alex, is that you???)

·
Registered
7,681 Posts
I don't get it. Unschooling is life. It's what we do, all day every day. Sometimes my kids use curriculum; it's still unschooling, but we wouldn't separate that from "just living" any more than we'd say an adult doing the Sunday crossword was "doing academics" or "schooling."

Miranda

·
Registered
43,705 Posts
Unschooling, by definition, is learning through normal living. If you're making a point to "do school" at set times, then you're doing "school at home" or you're "eclectic" or some other label, but you're not "unschooling" at those times (and some would argue that you're not unschooling at all.)

I'm not fully unschooling this year- much of what we do is unstructured and we learn through living, but we're also taking time to go through math and science books for an hour or two a week (or a few hours several days in a row and not open up the books for another 3 weeks- it's a pretty loose schedule!) Yet you could say we're unschooling because it's DD1 who requested the formal lessons (and DD2 wants to be included when we do them)- I'm not so hung up on labels, we just do what works for the kids.

I still don't know how to vote in your poll. We unschool most of the time, but for an average of an hour a week we do more formal bookwork, stuff that I would not label as "unschooling" at all.

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Whoa...a little harsh. The answers are very confusing. If you subsitiute "school" for "unschool" they make sense, but with the way they are, there is no way to answer.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by youngwife View Post
Had a long reply written out, but never mind. I don't think this is a forum that this UNSCHOOLER cares to be a part of.
:
I think we may be having a misunderstanding over terminology. Walking away in a huff isn't going to help sort it out though.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Quote:

Had a long reply written out, but never mind. I don't think this is a forum that this UNSCHOOLER cares to be a part of.
:
I was just trying to get clarification. Our family didn't fit into any of the classifications of the poll.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Multimomma View Post
Uto say that books are 'occasionally brought out' is so odd, we are surrounded by thousands of books in our house.
Word.

I was confused by the wording of the questions. I could easily pick the 'living' option because that's clearly how *we* do it, but if it wasn't how we do it, I would have been confuzzled indeed by the other options.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Quote:

:
(nicely) You have 39 posts? How much can you know about this fourm?

Honestly, as an highly relaxed eclectic, I have always found the conversations here welcoming and enligtenning.

Kathy

As per the question - we do (usually mommy suggested but never insisted upon) work 2 or 3 times a week - at about an hour at a time. The kids largely pick out the resources we use during this time.

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ruthla View Post
I'm not fully unschooling this year- much of what we do is unstructured and we learn through living, but we're also taking time to go through math and science books for an hour or two a week (or a few hours several days in a row and not open up the books for another 3 weeks- it's a pretty loose schedule!) Yet you could say we're unschooling because it's DD1 who requested the formal lessons (and DD2 wants to be included when we do them)- I'm not so hung up on labels, we just do what works for the kids.
I couldn't answer the poll, because I wasn't sure how to do it. The above is very similar to where we are right now. Today I would bet that ds doesn't even crack anything open that resembles anything "schooly." A few weeks ago, he was asking for spelling tests.....And who knows what tomorrow will be like. We use curriculum because, frankly, it helps me keep organized in how to present material when ds asks for it. We don't always follow the curriculum verbatim. DS enjoys most of the curriculum work we've chosen, which is a lot more than filling out worksheets. Most of the time it's drawing a visual representation of the concept and he hangs it on our wall.

Bottom line - If it's a hit, we keep going. If not, I wait until he asks for it again, and we move on to something else. And we live life in between and during.

·
Registered
2,190 Posts
Add me as someone else who didn't understand the questions.

Maybe if the OP would clarify what she means by "unschool"?

I don't really claim the label of "unschooler" but I don't know how one unschools for just a couple hours a day, it would be like only parenting for a couple hours a day.

ZM

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
I'm confused!

OP, if you're still here, I don't see where you were sensing hostility . . . the poll answers were worded a bit awkwardly. Rephrasing the options would probably clear up some of the confusion!

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dantesmama View Post
I'm confused!

OP, if you're still here, I don't see where you were sensing hostility . . . the poll answers were worded a bit awkwardly. Rephrasing the options would probably clear up some of the confusion!
Yeah that.

It is an interesting question.

I think if you reworded the question to "how much academic work do your USers average in a week?" it might be easier to understand.

·
Registered
441 Posts
I too am confused by the poll options. I don't understand what's meant by "do some 'unschool'", which leaves me with nothing to answer but the last option. But that certainly doesn't mean that we don't have any books!

I haven't voted, because I'm not entirely sure what you mean by the various choices.

Quote:

:
I'm sorry that you're feeling unwelcome or that this community may be a poor fit for you. I don't think that people have meant anything negative or hostile by their responses; we'd just like some clarification.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I picked the last option because it was the "most true" but it made it sound like we never use books or workbooks which is not true.

Sorry to the OP if you feel offended... not my intention in the least. And sorry you feel like you poll was attacked. I think I can see what you were aiming for but you may not realize that there is a long history of unschoolers being criticized for "not teaching" or "not using books" which is not true in probably 100% of the cases. Your poll kind of sounded like that, even if you didn't mean to.

Hope you stick around and get to know people... we really are a friendly crowd and it's nice to be able to chat with other moms who do school at home, even if we all do it a little differently.

ETA:

I don't mean to put words in your mouth, but here is what I read your poll options to read. Am I taking your meaning correctly?

1. We do some type of 'school-at-home' everyday with a relaxed schedule and we use a formal curriculum for some or all of it. For the rest we let life experiences teach concepts.

2. We do some type of scheduled, structured teaching/learning a few days a week with or without a formal curriculum as well as learning as life happens.

3. We rarely do any 'school', we live and teach through everyday experiences. Books are occasionally brought out by a parent rather than a child, but we don't usually use a published school curriculum.

4. We just use everyday experiences to teach academic concepts rather than a formal curriculum or structured teaching time. Learning will happen when it happens and there is no parent-driven timeline set. Resources still might include books or even possibly curriculum if requested by the child.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.