Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My kids had their 1st vaxxes almost a year ago, MMR & varicella
They are now 8 & 11, and I have a drs appt tomorrow to do more.
I'm on the fence about doing the 2nd MMR; ideally I'd like to do titers, but I doubt I'll get my youngest to do a blood test again. It was near impossible the only other time we did it. If I do the MMR, I will only do that one. I would wait the 4 weeks to do the 2nd varicella.
The other vaxxes on my radar to do are:
For both kids: hepatitis (we'd like to travel)
For eldest: Meningoccal
My eldest is in grade 6 now, and has school vaxxes the end of this month, which I'll refuse. Any vaxxes given will be given at my dr.
So thoughts on what to give tomorrow?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
I guess it's up to you and what you think is applicable to your situation.

My almost 11 year old will have finished her Td series by the time the new school year starts and after her MMR titre, we know she won't be getting the second dose. My seven year old has to wait on the Td series unless we go abroad for it. Whether he gets a second MMR, depends on his titre.

We're leaving the meningococcal until high school because that's when the risk goes up and there is some question about the duration of the protection. Varicella we likely wouldn't do as well until age 13 (two doses mandated for the over 14 year olds here). For us, with the varicella, it's a question of balancing the inadequacies of the vaccine effectiveness (and its components) with the proposed benefits of any protection as they enter their later teens and the number of doses recommended. We haven't got a clear answer on that one yet.

Hepatitis is not on our radar, nor HPV, pertussis.

As for the school vaccination program, I'd check out some of the discussion in INV about what precautions to take as schools can make mistakes during vax day.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,201 Posts
My kids had their 1st vaxxes almost a year ago, MMR & varicella
They are now 8 & 11, and I have a drs appt tomorrow to do more.
I'm on the fence about doing the 2nd MMR; ideally I'd like to do titers, but I doubt I'll get my youngest to do a blood test again. It was near impossible the only other time we did it. If I do the MMR, I will only do that one. I would wait the 4 weeks to do the 2nd varicella.
The other vaxxes on my radar to do are:
For both kids: hepatitis (we'd like to travel)
For eldest: Meningoccal
My eldest is in grade 6 now, and has school vaxxes the end of this month, which I'll refuse. Any vaxxes given will be given at my dr.
So thoughts on what to give tomorrow?
No DTaP? That was one of the first ones I was willing to do because of tetanus (my parents own a farm though and we spend a lot of time out there so we were higher risk).
2nd MMR had zero side effects for mine. Not even a sore arm. I looked it up and that's typical. I'd do that one.
Meningitis I would absolutely do. I had a friend die from meningitis in 7th grade. She got sick and died 3 days later. :( I believe you can get it at 11 and then do a booster at 16.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We went ahead and got varicella for both girls and men-c for my 11 year old.
Will hold off on 2nd MMR until necessary; meaning only if someone in their school is diagnosed with measles or mumps, I have 3 days to get them their 2nd dose to not be excluded from school.
No Dtap at this point...not worried about tetanus...we practice good wound care, and don't live on a farm...perhaps at a later date.
We will do twinrix for the girls before Mexico in March.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess it's up to you and what you think is applicable to your situation.

My almost 11 year old will have finished her Td series by the time the new school year starts and after her MMR titre, we know she won't be getting the second dose. My seven year old has to wait on the Td series unless we go abroad for it. Whether he gets a second MMR, depends on his titre.

We're leaving the meningococcal until high school because that's when the risk goes up and there is some question about the duration of the protection. Varicella we likely wouldn't do as well until age 13 (two doses mandated for the over 14 year olds here). For us, with the varicella, it's a question of balancing the inadequacies of the vaccine effectiveness (and its components) with the proposed benefits of any protection as they enter their later teens and the number of doses recommended. We haven't got a clear answer on that one yet.

Hepatitis is not on our radar, nor HPV, pertussis.

As for the school vaccination program, I'd check out some of the discussion in INV about what precautions to take as schools can make mistakes during vax day.
Will have her at home the morning of vaxxes at school...not taking any chances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
We went ahead and got varicella for both girls and men-c for my 11 year old.
Will hold off on 2nd MMR until necessary; meaning only if someone in their school is diagnosed with measles or mumps, I have 3 days to get them their 2nd dose to not be excluded from school.
No Dtap at this point...not worried about tetanus...we practice good wound care, and don't live on a farm...perhaps at a later date.
We will do twinrix for the girls before Mexico in March.
I was just going to mention, not necessarily in particular for you, but anyone lurking in a similar situation, just make sure you're UTD (sorry, bad pun) on all of the intricacies of what is actually required per child according to their age. I think a lot of GPs and paeds are so used to going by the book and going with the established schedule, that when we ask them to think outside the box, they run into trouble. Some vaccines are no longer indicated for our kids once they reach a certain age. Some require less doses. Some might require more doses. And some mean the vaccine changes (DTaP under 7; Tdap over 7 for example).

I know when we saw the new GP the first visit, he was mentioning Hib and Pc for my son (7), but Hib is not recommended in the monovalent form for children over age 5. Likewise, the Immunisation Handbook does not recommend vaccination for pneumococcal in healthy kids without risk factors from age 5.

It just means that we, as parents, have to make sure we've read not only the policy and recommendations for the locality we're in, but also the manufacturer's product information, etc.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well it's been a week, and my eldest has a horrible cold. She's stuffed up, cough, sore throat...I keep telling myself it's not from the vaccines...:(
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,521 Posts
Well it's been a week, and my eldest has a horrible cold. She's stuffed up, cough, sore throat...I keep telling myself it's not from the vaccines...:(
What vaccines did she have? Live or not?

I think the cold is just one of those things. My DD didn't have any issues after her second Tdap except a bit of a lump at the site of the shot, but it was completely gone in five days.

Hope your LO is better soon. Both of mine are sniffly and coughing these days but as it's spring here, it's more likely hay fever.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top