Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is our second child, but our ds was born in May, and this one is due early March. That's still winter here. I feel like I have a pretty good handle on indoor clothing. Our house is pretty warm, and we have in-floor heat, and plenty of sun coming in through the windows. But outside is a different story. I don't know how much we'll be going out (especially at first), but we will be going a few places, and I'd like to be able to go out with ds and not be stuck inside just because the baby doesn't have warm enough clothes. Plus, our friends' houses aren't as warm as ours.

So, I've been looking at what's out there (mostly on Sierra Trading Post and Campmor, because we really don't want to spend more than needed for clothing that will only be needed for a couple of months). I saw a nice bunting that looks warm, and it has hand coverings and a hood (it's a bag type, not one with pants). Is that all we need? Or do we also need a hat and mittens? Do we need warm fleece booties, or will her feet be warm enough inside the bunting?

Any ideas are very welcome! I feel like a newbie with this one in so many ways.

TIA,
Christie

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
buntings are great! depending on if this baby is a hat baby or not you may need a good hat with ear covers... but who knows how big baby's head will be? I'd wait until after baby is born to get that...

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
I'd just go with the bunting, that should be enough.

But I'd get two buntings, instead of just one. You know how it is with newborn poop... it's got a mind of its own... can't hurt to have a spare.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I was thinking that may be enough, but just wasn't sure. I'm sure that if we find we need more, there will be a way to find what it is we need. There are just so many things out there, and I want my baby to be warm enough, and they're all so cute, too.
: This bunting has a slot for the car seat buckle to go through, so that will be handy. I'll seriously think about the idea of two buntings, too. I well remember the newborn poop (and so does our rocking chair). As far as sleeping, we don't use usual baby sleepwear, since it's been treated with fire retardant. But we co-sleep, and we found some lovely buntings that are cotton fleece (like a thin sweatshirt), and we'll use those. I'm pretty confident that we've got the indoor clothing down.

One other question, though. When we go to other people's houses, where it really isn't as warm (it's too bad everyone doesn't use passive solar), will the long sleeve onsies and pants and a cotton hat and cotton socks or booties be sufficient? It doesn't seem it to me. But I'm really not sure. Maybe put one of the cotton fleece buntings over all that? What do you think? I wouldn't even worry about it, but we have a weekly outing to one of these houses that ds would really like to keep up if at all possible.

And how do you carry a baby in cold weather? We used a sling a lot with ds, but I'm not sure how that would work in cold weather. Then again, maybe this question is better asked on the babywearing forum.

Thanks everyone.

Christie

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I woud also get one of the Hanna Andersson Pilots cap. They are great, they cover the whole head and ears and tie around the chin so they can't fall off. They are also very stretchy so they last forever.

·
Registered
196 Posts
i got that same problem , my son was a summer baby this ones winter and where i live now it gets pretty cold, but i got a carseat cover in the states that has fleece on the inside and the lil zip so u dont gotta pull it off, i havent found blankets that are thicker then receiving ones yet here. i got this thing at the store its like a jacket but a whole body suit for babys i found a 0-3 mths it zips up and coveres there feet and hands btu the hands part u can take on and off but its connected to the whole er jacket thingie, i dotn know what the thing is called but ive seen alot of people using em here and the babies look so warm and cozy. im hoping the snow holds off until after the babies born though. so far its not to cold here ....yet but i still have 5 weeks to go, also get the long sleeved onsies to put under there clothes when u go out. i think the best thing is the cover for the carseat specially if its 30 degrees or colder where u are to keep the babies face warm and from no tgetting chapped and red. i found minei n fla at walmart lmao. havent seen em here suprisingly

1 - 7 of 7 Posts