Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, we all know the neatest part is getting your baby, LOL , but is there a funny or special moment that sticks out in your mind??

I have 2. I was having a waterbirth, and my 2 yo daughter was standing next to the tub. She had a little rubber ducky she kept playing with in the water, and throwing it at me. it didnt bother me at all(which surprised me!). It was so cute. She took that ducky home with her from the birth center, and I think its so special because she will always remember the birth of her "Baby Jack" when she plays with her ducky.

And the other neat thing was right before I pushed my baby all the way out, he started kicking like crazy! It felt so weird, all this hard, wiggly kicking right before he came out. I always wonder if that was normal, because I never felt that in any of my other 4 births.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Hmmm....mine was pretty rough, but I cherish every moment of it. My favorite part is a pretty typical one, but when the midwife put my ds on my chest he looked into both my dh's and my eyes and just looked like he knew exactly who we were. It was such a great reward for the very tough labor and delivery. I love the ducky story. I wish that my labor was one where I would have enjoyed something like that.

·
Registered
531 Posts
My favorite part of my daughter's birth was that my whole family was there with me... my husband, of course, but also my mother, my father, my step-father, and my sister. They took turns holding me up, giving me ice water, mopping me down with cool washcloths, and just being there with me. As my daughter came to the door and was almost there, everyone in the room started crooning, just this amazing sound - not even a chant, more like a big excited OM as she came out into the world. I thought it was an amazing, loving way to greet her into the family and I felt very special to have so many supportive hands.

Thanks for this thread and your stories. They made my night!

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
The most favorite part of my sons birth was when he first came out and the Dr said "Happy Birthday you sweet little man, your mommy has been waiting for you" and of course when he was placed on my chest and he looked into my eyes. We had a hospital birth.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
even though my son's birth wasn't that great of an experience...

the neatest part was seeing his head emerging and watching him crown... as a reflection in my SO's (his daddy's) glasses!
whenever i'd look toward my SO, i was not only reassured by his prescence, but also thrilled at seeing my son coming into the world.

·
Registered
25,064 Posts
I enjoyed the adrenal "high" after each birth.

Each birth was magical in its own way.

My last birth was mentally and emotionally difficult but not physically although I was an "elderly para"; I had difficulty pushing, as I believe his hands were around his face. Finally, I was vertical, squatting at the foot of our bed, braced on the corner, I took one last deep breath, and I felt my soul reach outward from my physical being for help from heaven to push this baby out into the world; with one push, I felt his head enter the world, and another, I pushed his shoulders, as DH scrambled to catch his son and keep him from falling out on the floor...he pooped meconium all over the newspapers from the excitment of the sudden movement!* I wrapped him up and took him to the bathtub, all ready with warm water and we both took a bath...I nursed him, I diapered him and wrapped him up in blankets; his sister and brothers took turns holding him. They had something for show and tell the next day!

* A footnote here...three months before he was born, a baby died at the county hospital five minutes from me...the baby never passed meconium iin the hospital before he was released from the hospital.
The nurses "forgot" to record this abnormality, and the baby was sent home with its teenage mother to die. She never noticed that the baby did not have any BM in its diapers.
: When she brought the baby to the ER when it died, she was accused of bringing in a baby that was born outside of the hospital and lying and saying it was hers.

She sued and won in court; how very rude of the nurses and doctors to have accused her of being duplicitious when her own baby died because of their errors.
How very sad.

Therefore, for me it was an extra victory when my baby pooped!
I was glad!

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
The best parts of labor were:

when I broke the bag of waters with one mighty PUSH! (see the other thread for details) I felt like superwoman or something. If I could get that water across the room, getting the baby out wouldn't be a problem!

Reaching in and feeling the head descending, then holding the head as dd crowned, and putting my hands around her, catching her myself. Lifting her up to my chest, and finally checking the sex, because everybody kept asking, and announcing "It's a girl! Hello, Isabelle Audrey!"

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I have 2 kids, but only got to labor and birth the 2nd. My 1st was cesarean born because of breech presentation.

Anyways, much of my VBAC was very special, but the one moment that sticks out in my mind was after her head was born (and her body was still inside me). I was looking down at her and could see her profile. I saw her open her eyes for the very first time out in the world. Just seeing her and being that amazed and shocked and surprised, I completely forgot about all the pain I had been in. Very surreal. It seemed like a very long time before I had another contraction and pushed her body out.

That was my favorite moment of probably my entire life.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
My best memory of this past birth was the look on my older twos faces as they watched their brother come out of me and into the world.... it was such a pure and ultamite joy.. i will always remember those smiles

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
With my vbac, the best part was holding back/supporting my own labia and feeling her head come out, being the first person to ever touch her.

Though, hearing one of the midwives said, "see, your body isn't broken after all" meant a lot to me, too, considering how I felt after the cesarean birth of my first DD.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
I can relate to Plantmommy. When DD was finally out I reached down and grabbed her before My MW could even get a look at her! Then I held her so tight DH had to ask me to see the sex. I had not even checked, I was just sooo happy to hold my precious baby

·
Registered
482 Posts
The only good thing about my first birth was that they 'let' me use the shower to labor in for about 30 minutes. I didn't get to hold him till a few minutes after he was born because he went right from my belly to the nurse so that she could clean him and wrap him in a blanket before I could hold him. (they also wanted to check on the TWO cuts they left on his body from the scapel the doc used to give me an episiotomy. One on his cheek and one on his leg....After she cut me, she dropped the scapel on the bed between my legs, and then when DH slipped out he landed on it. Grrr)

My second son's birth was amazing. It;s so hard to pick just one moment. Hmmmm, it would have to be feeling his head with my hand when he was crowing. I loved that part

·
Registered
7,165 Posts
There were two things in my last birth that will always stay with me. One, was a couple hours before the birth, I was in the birth tub and having some pretty intense contractions, and I'd been in labor for 30 hours already, so I was really tired. My (at the time) 4-year-old son came up to me, put his arms around my neck, told me I was doing a good job, and I leaned my head on his little chest. I get teary even now just thinking about it.

The other was the moment of birth. I had been having excruciating back labor for about an hour -- I mean, yelling at the top of my lungs, it felt like my back was splitting apart. In between contractions I felt like the living dead. All of a sudden I had enough energy that I literally leapt out of the tub, knelt on the floor, and looked down to see the mucous plug had dropped out. Then there was an involuntary catch in my breath, and she was coming down. It was the most fantastic feeling, there is no way I can even describe it. I can't wait to feel it again.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
With my daughter, the best part was the over powering urge to push.......it was the sudden and complete stopping of just painful contractions and suddenly I felt alive again.

With my son.......I'd pushed out his head and was waiting on another contraction to push the rest of him out and I felt all this......STUFF going on down there.....I was on my knees facing a wall and I yelled at my midwives "What the heck are you guys doing!!!!".......I thought they were trying to wriggle him free or something and I wasn't READY.......but they said "We aren't TOUCHING you! It's the baby!". Apparently, once his head was out, he was so eager to look around, he just started moving around before he was all the way out. It was the WEIRDEST feeling but knowing it was him was kinda cool.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have a couple of great funny moments from my last birth. My six year old dd asked me several times "are you having a contraption?" :LOL Cracked me up every time, good way to stay relaxed- laugh. Also I made everyone laugh by worring about weather my moms watch was waterproof, I was in the tub and didn't want her to break it, it was funny because I was 8 and having contractions every 1 1/2 minutes.

The absolute best moment was when I felt his head. I had been in transition for almost four hours and had just had my mw manually push back the cervical lip that had kept me there for so long. He was coming down fast as I reached to touch him, it was a moment of overwhelming joy and relief, he was in my arms in minutes.

Robyn wife to
Eric
:bf SAHM to Raven 6 1/2, Dakota 4 and Zebulon 6 weeks

·
Registered
3,799 Posts
When they held my daughter up to me after my c/s, she had her tongue sticking out at us. She wasn't crying, just staring right at me with that little tongue out.

I didn't get to hold her or see her for a few more hours, so that memory is permanently etched in my mind. Tiny, bald, wrinkly, wet baby with tongue out

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
well, i have a few special moments from my latest birth:

first, when i was having contractions, my son (then 2), would go to my doula's birth bag, and pull out a massager, run over and rub my back for me
it was just so sweet!

also, of course, the first second that i saw my daughter, she was so beautiful, and i was feeling SO powerful!!! (my son's birth was an attempted homebirth/hospital transfer), and i was just so pleased that i DID IT! i stayed at home, and i was on such a homebirth high for months afterwards!

the third is when my son first saw his sister (he watched the entire birth), her little toes were sticking out from the towel, and he exclaimed "OHHH!! TOES!!!" .. like he didn't expect her to come out with these cute little toes! it was so precious!

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
My fav was pushing b/c I got so centered and peaceful. In the video of the birth my doc says what is she doing bc I look like I am sleeping but in reality I was concentrating with every ounce of my being to work that little baby out! My next fav thing was getting to learn the sex bc my whole prgnancy I thought it was going to be my Ella and there she was! My mom who was the first to see her (I gave birth on hands and knees) says its a boy!! She saw the cord and in my head I'm like shit we don't have a boy name and the doc says its not a boy its a girl!!!!!whoop whoop whopp

·
Registered
4,906 Posts
From my son's birth: The most memorable part was when he was placed on my chest. I was euphoric. I kept saying, "He's so gorgeous!" I was shocked at how beautiful he was and how much I loved him. I just wanted to hold him forever....in fact my doula had to remind me that I should nurse him.
I could have looked at him all day and kissed his little nose.

From my daughter's birth: I felt like my body took over my brain completely. I had NO sleep and it was 7am. Suddenly I felt her shoot down and I knew it was time to push. After laying on my side perfectly still for about an hour, I jumped up, turned around and got into a hands-and-knees position to deliver her. I wasn't actively pushing - she was coming out completely on her own. My OB, who I thought was more crunchy but turned out to be pretty mainstream, told me she was really big (8.3#...sounds normal to me) and if she were bigger, I would have needed a c-section. I laugh at that now because she was born so easily! I can't imagine needing to have her cut out.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
With my first it was when the head was out and everything paused for a minute.

With my second, it was when my body decided, under no control of my own, that I was going to push and I was going to do it now, and it was with all of my energy - I made no decision in the matter, my body overwhelmingly took over for me. I pushed for 3 minutes with him.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts