Mothering Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the day I ovulated. So, going by my ovulation date, I'm 5 weeks pregnant. But, my doctor goes by the first day of your last period.

How are you counting how many weeks along you are and what do you tell people?

I was telling people that I am 7 weeks, but now I think that's silly, since I know the day I ovulated. So, I think I'm going to go by that date. So, I'm 5 weeks pregnant.

You?

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
I know which day I ovulated, so I just add two weeks to that since my periods are longer than "normal" by about a week. I O'd on July 5th and I'll be 8 weeks on Wednesday. HTH You can go from the day you O'd, and that is your fetal age, but most people don't know what that means. Just better to go "mainstream with a twist" for this one.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
Most women don't know when they ovulate so drs needed something to go by for a edd. If there is more or less than 2 weeks from the first day of your lmp to the day you ovulated you should def tell your dr as they would throw off your edd. If you go by day of ovulation then you would be 38 weeks when you are really 40 weeks which would cause problems if you went into labor at 36 weeks but you said you were 34 weeks. It also throws off any testing you would have done, if you are having any done.

My lmp was May 6th but I didn't ovulate till June 5th. Obviously I am going by the day I ovulated and just adding 2 weeks to that. I'm 11 weeks 4 days. I did have an u/s and it dated the baby 5 days behind what I know I am but that actually helps me since I always go late and it gives me something to pad my date with when the time comes.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Given that the standard "40 weeks" pregnancy estimate counts from LMP, I use that (not that I have a LMP to go by) - so I'm 8 weeks along, 6 weeks post-conception.

Now in my last pregnancy, I did know when I ovulated and it was about 3 weeks past my last period, not 2. I always went by my chart, ovulation+2weeks to get the #of weeks pregnant. If that makes sense. The doctor would not change the dates, though...I should have just fudged the last period, somehow charting is too confusing for the poor MDs sometimes

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The entire pregnancy "system" is set up based on the LMP. Nearly every book you read, website you see, practitioner you consult, uses the 40 weeks from the LMP. So yes, it's silly to say you're 4 weeks pg when you just found out, but that's the way it works. So I use LMP dates, too.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I know when I ovulated, and if I went by my LMP the doc would have me further along than I am (because I ovulated on cd27 of my cycle, much later than most women do).

So I use my O date, then add two weeks to get the "standard way" of counting. But I actually don't like that way of counting, personally, and I'm glad the Your Preg. Week by Week book uses both.

So, I refer to myself as being 9 weeks pg, 7 weeks since conception. I'm hoping when I finally get around to telling people about the baby, they'll be curious enough to ask the difference. That way I have an easy intro to vent about how I don't like the standard way of counting, LOL!!!

·
Registered
531 Posts
This thread cracked me up. We were TTC, and found out about two weeks after ovulation. When I called my folks, I told them I was two weeks pregnant. Apparently this really confused my dad and my mom had to explain to him how I could know already, that doctor's didn't used to know the date of ovulation, etc. Since it's pretty standard anyhow, I went ahead and added the two weeks... and my dad is much less confused now.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok then, looks like I'll be going by the LMP date

·
Registered
242 Posts
I also know my ovulation date, and I have longer cycles, so I add two weeks to that and get how many weeks I am. Generally, people say how many weeks pregnant they are, not the gestational age of the fetus. So, I am 11 weeks pregnant, but my fetus is only 9 weeks old (and now officially a fetus!
) And thankfully my mw was happy to go by ovulation date and not lmp, or she'd think I was due in feb! Could be an issue, since I went past my edd with Leila and I'd hate to be induced because my dates were off! I say, if you practioner doesn't know how to read a chart, fudge the dates!

·
Registered
134 Posts
my cycles are long 40-50 days, although i ovulate at the normal time...i just go by the lmp date,since like mentioned eearlier its easier and the most common way, on u/s little beanie measured perfect on time to the day!

10 weeks 3 days

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.