Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Of late, my just-turned-a-year-old daughter has been "day-weaning" herself. She is down to nursing only first thing in the morning, at naptime, and at bedtime. Every once in a while, she will climb into my lap in the late afternoon for some "boo-boo". She drinks only about 12 oz of water per day from a cup and nothing else. She eats table foods sporatically at best, although she will usually steal whatever her sister (2 yo) is eating. She also is no where near being night-weaned, nursing *at least* every 2 hours...
I am thinking this is what is called "reverse cycle" nursing... I am just worried. She's nursed every 1 1/2 hrs from birth till just the past month or so, so when we are going 6 or more hours between nursings, I feel a little panicky. I am worried about my supply.
I can't talk to anyone around here about this. They think it's just perfect that she is "finally" getting off the boob since she's SO old.

If we continue in this reverse cycle, it would be just the same as if she was continuing to nurse all day and not at night, right? Of course, I was hoping the night feedings would be the first to go...

Any thoughts on these slightly coherent ramblings are appreciated.
Darci

·
Registered
921 Posts
If she is still night-nursing frequently your supply will probably be fine. Nursaing at night stimulates more prolactin secretion than during the day. It does sound like she is making up for lost time at night... she is probably too busy having fun during the day to nurse and is making sure she still gets enough calories with all the night-nursing.
You could try offering it to her more during the day to "remind" her...
take care

·
Registered
4,237 Posts
So far, my two older kids nursed less between 11-15 months and then they were back to frequent nursings. My almost three year old nursed today at 7:40, 8:30, 10, 2:15, 5:45 and she'll nurse at least 2 more times before bed at 9

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you, wise mamas! I am just so used to nursing every hour to hour-and-a-half, that I am nervous watching the hours tick by during the days. I try to bring into her favorite, snuggly nursing position throughout the day, but she'll only accept it if she's sleepy or if her feelings have gotten hurt (like her older sister takes a toy, etc). Monday, it had been about 8 hours since her last nursing when my hubby came in, so I took her in the bedroom and got into bed with her with the lights off so she would nurse. She ended up nursing for about 15 minutes before dozing off.
I guess she's just growing up.

Darci

·
Registered
2,480 Posts
Hi Darci!!!! Nice to see you here! I am having simliar issues with Sophia except shes not night nursing either
I think Its just a phase that they are going through and hopefully will want to day nurse more soon! Im also VERY nervous about my supply! Good Luck to you and give those 2 cutie pies big kisses from me! Oh and how are their eyes doing lately? I often think of you guys

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.