Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have worn my 5 month old DS since birth but must admit I struggled a bit. I was a bit clumsy with the ring sling at birth, then graduated to a pouch with better luck. And I am guilty of using the travel system more often than I needed to.

I need help getting him down for a nap during the day when I am out of the house and wonder what type of carrier/style/postion you'd reccomend.

At home he naps easily since we are in bed nursing. But when we are out it is a big struggle. He used to fall asleep in the pouch style sling (first in the cradle position, then facing forward with legs crossed), but now wants to kick out of it and just struggles instead of settling down. He is also a squirmy nurser, so he doesn't fall asleep that way (unless in bed). He never falls asleep in an upright position (eg: head on my shoulder) but maybe the right carrier would help??? Also, he is 19 lbs and a handful for me to cradle in my arms when he is so squirmy.

Any advice.... I'm getting to the point where I dread going out during the day but don't want to be trapped at home.
: Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
My son slept in a sling/mei tei style carrier untill he was old enough to not really even worry about naps while out. Now my 5 month old daughter? Will NOT sleep in anything! She goes in the stroller once she falls asleep. she apparently needs her space
, she will get so incredibly mad if I try to hold her while she's sleeping

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
So, I know this is not a really popular suggestion around here
: but if he's sleeping well in the stroller why not use it? If you're holding and caring lot's of the rest of the time he'll be ok sleeping in the stroller every once in a while. However, if he's not (or you're just not comfortable with it) then I would try something like a wrap or mei tei. These are pretty simple to construct if you have basic sewing skills. check out: http://www.thebabywearer.com/ you'll have to register to get to the how-to pages, but there's a lot of infor there.

When you have him in the pouch now does the fabric come to under his knees (so his legs re hanging down)? Or are his legs still tucked in?

hth!

·
Registered
2,703 Posts
5 months was an awkward time for us in terms of babywearing. By 6-7 months, DD loved to be in the back carry and that's when napping on the go became really easy. Any soft carrier is great for a back carry--a MT, an Ergo, or any of the buckle ties (kind of a cross between an Ergo and a MT). My DD always naps best in our Beco.

Good luck!

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your advice! Yes, he does sleep well in the stroller. Sometimes, I want to be out without lugging it around or... I plan on being out for a short period of time and think he won't nap but then he does.

His legs are still tucked in when in the pouch. He sits indian-style and if he nods off I tuck him into a cradle. It just isn't working as often as it used to.

So, I'll continue t nap in the stroller and I've been wanting to try the MT style and I think I will finally get one. I've heard that they are great and am anxious to get my little guy in one! Thanks so much for the advice!!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts