Mothering Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember being so nauseous my last labor and just wishing I could throw up, because I knew I'd feel better. (But I couldn't.) It was particularly bad during transition, where I was having contractions with no break in between, I was extremely hot, and all I wanted to do was throw up.

I remember thinking, "If I could stop feeling so nauseous, I could handle this much better." I know nausea is common, but is there anything I can do or take this time around to limit it? With my first birth, I felt nauseous for about five minutes, threw up four times, and felt considerably better.

Anything work for you?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Throwing up worked for me. I wonder if eating carb-y foods would help ward off nausea before it even hits. I know having an empty stomach makes nausea worse.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I remember eating yogurt and fruit in early labor with my last birth in an effort to not have an empty stomach.

Hmm... is there a way to make yourself throw up?
Of course, I'd rather not do that, either...

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
Throwing up opens your throat which supposedly helps open your cervix as well. My plan when I go into labor is to eat so I don't lose my energy and get run down, and if I throw up, it will help me dilate faster.

·
Registered
5,396 Posts
What helped early in pregnancy? I would always feel better smelling minty scents and eating grapefruit, so that's what I'll have handy for labour,too. I was very sick during my first labour and vomited a lot

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
I've heard mint and ginger. Also I would think that making sure you don't have an empty stomach. I always feel worse with nothing in my tummy.

·
Premium Member
5,525 Posts
Puking! Seriously, sometimes that's all that does it for me, and I have been known to induce vomitting to get rid of the nausea. Non-empty stomachs are better too. Peppermints always worked wonders for me, and changing positions, or drinking something fizzy and cold.

·
Registered
885 Posts
My midwife said that if her patients start getting nauseous, she clears everyone out of the room exceeps DH and puts cold, wet cloths on your throat and makes you take deep breaths.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts