Ummmm, I'm sure you'll here this from other ppl but tell her just to hang in there!
This is basically what we did, not with castor oil but with other techniques. I ended up with prodomal labor for 10 days, pitocin induction, and a c/s. My cervix was ready 3cm and 95% before the pit but Tracy wasn't ready.
To me it isn't worth it....given my past experience....
Chances are she will get really bad cramps, diarrhea and become dehydrated and still be pregnant.
I can completely understand a mama who is 42 weeks considering trying to jump start her labor especially if she is trying to avoid intervention, is having a homebirth that may be threatened or is being pressured to have a C.
Having said that I am bothered by women that 'can't take it anymore' before their due date even arrives. News flash: When you get pregnant you sign up for 40-42 weeks of submission to your body and hormones. If you aren't ready for that maybe you're not ready to be pregnant.
I don't mean to offend anyone. With my last pregnancy I was crying in my MW's office 2 days before my due date convinced I would be pg forever (DD was born the next day) I have been miserable, had agonizing back and pelvic pain but I also believe that this is the first chance you have to be a patient parent and let your baby decide when he or she is to be born. Being a parent is not about controlling your child - why start before they are even born?
Stepping off my soapbox now
I had an ob telling me that I was a terrible person and parent but never explained to me the repecussions of it I'm the type of person who needs the why not just the no but they wouldn't give it to me. They gave me and examples of someone I knew being induced for toxemia who wasn't dilted or effaced and never had a contraction...... but I was pit induced because they thought I was ready.... nope, they were wrong! Baby was completely healthy and almost 8 pounds 2 weeks early...but I could have jsut gotten lucky...
It is hard to be patient but it really really pays off! I was miserable. I had stretchmarks on my neck because I was swelling so bad. I had gone from a 30 inch waist to a 58 inch pregnant belly! I was 222 pounds..... but I still would have rather dealt with it than the result of my inpatience.
I have a friend who tried a few things at home--she was having her labor a little at a time and she was beginning to feel like a failure, and she has control issues to being with...and she basically used emotional blackmail with her OB to get induced. She got lucky, avoided the C by about 15 min, but the nurses commented on how waxy and young the baby looked (she would not have noticed this, but I sure did), and the baby was "wet" for a while too...bfing ended up "not working out," and baby has also had some other stuff since birth.
Maybe baby just was not ready...who knows? but Mom let her need for control win out, and I can see where this will be the first of many times.
Kerikadi, I need to save your post! I was horrible with ds last time, freaking out at 38 weeks, and I am refusing to be like that this time. This baby will come when she wants to come. Anyway, thanks for the reminder.
Heh heh somebody already said what I thought - she'll probably feel like she's got the flu on top of the pg symptoms. The castor oil is really unlikely to do anything unless the baby is "ready to go" anyway.
I'm 37 weeks now and pretty uncomfortable but my mantra is "I trust my body, I trust my baby" and just hanging in.
If you feel a big wave of "patience vibes" swing by it's because I'm sending them to your friend through you!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.