Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been looking into property options for living more "country-fied" and hoping to have some small livestock. Eventually we would love to have angora goats, and hope to work up to a large stock.

I am okay with the idea of having a smaller parcel to live on, and then leasing / buying property later to have the goats.

However, because I want chickens, we also have to live outside city limits.

There isnt much.

Its either 1.5 acre with a small small house (for our needs)

or around 160 acres with no house.

we can only afford one of those two options right now, and they are both priced the same....

what would you do?

·
Registered
7,595 Posts
Personally, I'd hold out a little longer. We looked for our current house for over a year. It is small, too small now, but it had 4.5 acres. New houses have been built up right on the property line and we're feeling crowded.

I'd just hate to buy a too small house and then have to worry about selling it when you do decide to move. That said, small houses aren't all bad. There's alot less room for clutter. Same with the land. Would you be able to build right away? Although if you did buy that big of a chunk, you could always split it and sell a piece.

I guess I'm not much help.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Can you afford a place to live along with the 160 acres? If you can afford to buy land and continue in your your current home for awhile, I'd go with the land. They're not making any more of it!

If you want larger stock, 1.5 acres isn't enough, and it can be a real hassle having to go somewhere else to take care of animals on a regular basis (if you lease other land).

·
Registered
599 Posts
If it was me I would choose the 160 acres and live in a travel trailer or motor home till I could get a house built. Its depends on how willing to rough it you are.

Can you divide the 160 acres? Maybe sell part of it to pay for home costs and well digging.

·
Registered
2,042 Posts
without a question I would go for the 160 acerages... jeez I would camp in a tent if I had too, shower at the heatlhclub, whatever to make it done.

You can always add onto a house or build a new one, you can not build more land thou.

·
Registered
6,783 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Denvergirlie View Post
without a question I would go for the 160 acerages... jeez I would camp in a tent if I had too, shower at the heatlhclub, whatever to make it done.

You can always add onto a house or build a new one, you can not build more land thou.

Heck yeah! Buy the land!

If you don't buy PM me and tell me where it is. I might buy it!

·
Registered
755 Posts
It truly depends on your situation. Could you take the small house, fix it up and sell it in 4 to 5 years, and make a profit? With the current real estate mess in the US, they may be hard, but if do-able, may be a good way to get your foot in the door and maybe get ahead in the long run.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
The land. Definitely. Assuming it was good for pasture, woodlot, and growing food, and had at least one decent building site, and perked for a septic system (required in our state whether you plan to use it or not, LOL).

Do you have winter where you live? Depending on how cold it was going to get, and how quickly, I'd get an RV or a cheap trailer home to live in while I figured out the house situation.

I would probably sell off some of the land to make enough to build at least a small home. If I didn't have enough money for anything but the minimum, I'd plan to add on later if I could.

Land, land, land!

·
Registered
10,399 Posts
If it were me, and all other factors were equal, I would definitely go for the 160 acres!!! However, all factors are probably not equal. Is it QUALITY land?

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
I'd go for the land too. You could always sell part of the land. Heck even if you sold 100 acres of it you'd still have a lot of land. Does the land have timber on it? Just a thought but if the land has good timber on it you could cut the timber and use the money to go towards building a house. Something to consider anyways.

I'd definitely go for the land though. No way would I buy a house on only 1.5 acres. DH made it clear when we started looking that he wouldn't take less than 5 acres but we were hoping for 10-15. We found a house in our price range 2200 sq ft with 16 acres with a creek! It even has timber and a well on it and comes with a storage building, livestock shed, and an old smokehouse (but it has to come down, too old). Yeah! DH is in heaven!

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
I'd go for the land... we went from tent for way longer than it was 'fun' to finally having something of a house, we are building ourselves so has taken time, we were younger then and no kids so our lives were totally different on what we could live with as of subjecting the kids to ....

folks are saying buy land and sell off a piece, be sure you can actually do that, sometimes subdivising land, even if cutting in half requires so much road frontage for each parcel or if there is a right a way you must have permission from that owner to divide. Check with a lawyer or the land surveyor, they should be able to tell you what's going on.

look too at land/property taxes, use that figure too in your descion making process, if you can get away with a travel trailer not being assessed until you get a house built, money can be 'saved'

if you can lease/buy property that is next door to where you are buying to raise animals then it's an ideal situation... if though you have to get in your car and drive a couple miles to check on the animals then I wouldn't even do it, I know farmers around here do it all the time, they have cattle in this field or that and they make their rounds, feeding and caring for them but that's their life, riding in the truck or on their tractor, for a small farm, I want a couple animals I don't think it's worth it.

We boarded a billy at friends house (kept the girls here) for a while and although day to day care was in their hands and very good hands at that, 20 years raising goats, it was so hard for us, bringing feed, fixing fences, hay, maintaining water line. It wasn't 'fun'

we had a garden 1/2 mile from the house, down the driveway, on our property, that didn't work, couldn't maintain it, sure if we were tractor farming but not for basic fresh veggies for us.

Big property is great, main reason we have more than less is buffer zone, don't have to worry about what the neighbor is doing or if we run around naked. With big property don't plan on using all of it in the beginning, 160 ac is alot.

something else to maybe think about if water/sewer/power is easily doable and it's legal where your at, rent out mobile home spots, they don't have to stay forever and if you can make a little extra money for a few years, would help to pay for the property, future house.

whoa, this has gotten to be a book, sorry I have rambled so much....

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
I too would wait it out. In fact, I did! When we started looking we had two so so options and after a couple of months our situation started changing and we found the perfect house for a fantastic price!
Hold out for a home you'll be truly happy with!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.