Mothering Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, dh and I can't decide what we should do. I have had two preterm births and have been watched very closely this entire pregnancy. I started effacing at 28 weeks and dilating at 30 weeks. They have had me on every medicine under the sun and it has slowed the labor but they haven't been able to stop it. I was released from the hospital this last time after they decided they wouldn't try anything else to stop it, just hope the procardia and mag ox would slow it enough to make it to 36 weeks. I was also told if I came back in before 36 then they would just hold me until the baby was born. I was told to come back if I had five or more contractions in an hour. Well, my cntrx are ten to twenty minutes apart but not entirely consistent. If I go back to the hospital, they will just hold me and force me to labor slowly there. I am 34 weeks, 2 days. Am I stupid for thinking about just staying home until I'm sure she's coming? I think laboring at home is so much less stressful than at the hospital since it's bound to be a long labor due to the meds. What would you do in my situation?

· Registered
5,274 Posts
I'd do all I could to slow it/stop it at home before going in (I'd try super hydration, rest, epsom salt baths, mineral supplements, a glass of wine), and if I could get it stopped with an IV at the hospital then go home against medical advice (sign the waiver) rather than staying there like they'd prefer. I'd also be doing cervical self-checks to make sure I wasn't progressing at home while I tried to slow it or stop it.

· Registered
581 Posts
I agree that I'd stay home until I was sure. If they already told you they wouldn't try anything else to keep baby in, then you're going to have your baby when you go... why not just treat it like you were 40 weeks? Labor at home as long as you comfortably can...

Then, go in and meet your sweet little baby! Get some rest, and then come tell us all about it! We're dying to know!

I hope everything goes flawlessly and that baby is safe, healthy and in your arms in no time!

Sadie

· Registered
4,656 Posts
IT would depend for me on if I'd already had steroid shots to help mature the baby's lungs. If not, I'd go in and get them. If I had, I would stay home until I was sure that it was active labor. Hope everything goes smoothly and you can make it a little longer!

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have had the steroids to mature her lungs. My friends, who are all about hospitals and doctors, were telling me how stupid it was to ignore the doctors orders. They said I needed to be monitored during labor. I don't have any problems, the baby is healthy as can be, just a little early.

· Registered
434 Posts
I'd stay home too! And HAVE in similar situations(not having quite the interventions to STOP things earlier though) If they are going to hold you hostage basicly... I"d stay away until i knew if i HAD to be there. Maybe even when you THINK it is, go to a store nearby and ride around in one of the carts..lol then if it IS time, you are closer(unless you are close to the hospital anyway, i'm about 40min plus dropping off kids from teh hospital)

· Registered
1,268 Posts
It's okay! You're only a few weeks short, really. A full term baby is anywhere between 38-42 weeks, so even though you are about 3.5 weeks early, that's not too bad! Try to stay peaceful, mama, it'll help your labor. Sending good vibes your way!

· Registered
434 Posts
ugh.. i hate when that happens! So sure, spend all that time waiting, timeing, then finally.. ok this is a go!... and ________________ nothing. happens to me at least once or twice a pregnancy
well enjoy your short break before it happens for real!(thats what my mom keeps saying, doesnt help me but maybe it will you ) I know i always realise a bunch of things i need to do and hadn't thought about before that time ....

keep us posted!

· Registered
708 Posts
i know its frustrating the on and off again but hang in there, hopefully you can make it to at least 35 weeks

:

· Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all the support! My contractions are back to being random but are super painful. I keep having bloody mucosy discharge so I think I am dilating with the contractions. They just aren't coming very fast or in any kind of order. Every muscle I have hurts and my back is screaming for a break. I know she needs to stay in as long as possible but I don't know how much longer I can take this. I refuse to take pain meds my ob keeps offering me. I never took anything with either of my other ones and had very manageable labors, but they were fast labors too. I'm not sure what to do with this super long labor situation. I do know baths help. Any other suggestions?

· Registered
3,687 Posts
I talked with my midwife about this yesterday. I held out too long to get pain meds with my last labour. Pride? Stupidity? Principles? Who knows. When your body is working so hard and you are in too much pain to work effectively through a contraction any more, then it's time to look at other options before you and your uterus are too tired to do any more work. And really, think of it this way.... a bit of morphine or phentanyl (depending on what stage you're at) or a c-section complete with epidural, lots of drugs afterwards, etc. It can be the difference between the two sometimes. Maybe not for you, but don't hold on to a random principle when in fact it my be more harmful to you and baby to do so.

SO, are you sleeping? if not, get some pain meds. you NEED rest.

just my two cents.

· Registered
5,916 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lil'Momma View Post
Thanks for all the support! My contractions are back to being random but are super painful. I keep having bloody mucosy discharge so I think I am dilating with the contractions. They just aren't coming very fast or in any kind of order. Every muscle I have hurts and my back is screaming for a break. I know she needs to stay in as long as possible but I don't know how much longer I can take this. I refuse to take pain meds my ob keeps offering me. I never took anything with either of my other ones and had very manageable labors, but they were fast labors too. I'm not sure what to do with this super long labor situation. I do know baths help. Any other suggestions?
DDC crashing...maybe some light sleeping meds will help, ambien or unisom. They're not pain meds, but might help you rest better so your body can recover before the "real" work begins. I had a lot of prodomal labor with my second, and half a unisom one night let me sleep soundly for a few hours, the next night I went into "real" labor (finally!) and had a very short, easy labor. I really think my body needed that rest. Unisom is OTC and pregnancy category A (often used to help with morning sickness).

Good luck! Here's hoping that when it's real, it's also fast!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.