Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Regarding taking a round of antibiotics while nursing a seven-week-old? (She was two weeks early - I know when I ovulated.)

I have come up with the single weirdest pregnancy side effect ever. A few weeks before I gave birth, I noticed my big toe was hurting. It quit hurting, and I didn't think much more about it. BUT I happened to have painted the toenail, and that polish, as of yesterday, was still perfect! The toenail has not grown in about three months! The polish was still right up next to the cuticle. And the toe started hurting again. I went to the family practice doctor who serves as my OBGYN, and they said it is most likely bacterial, not fungal, since the toenail still looks healthy. And that most likely I will not be able to treat it topically with tea tree oil and the like because it is actually an infection inside my toe that is somewhere near the root of the toenail causing stunted growth. So they said I could try hot water soaks to help get the blood circulating to the toe and help my body fight off the infection, but they prescribed Amoxil. This is safe, according to Dr. Hale.

I loathe antibiotics! I really only want to take it if absolutely imperative! I don't want to mess with little Jane's flora! BUT I ALSO DON'T WANT TO BE STUPID AND LET AN INFECTION GET OUT OF CONTROL BECAUSE I DISLIKE PILLS, YA KNOW?

What would you do?

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
If you are unsure, maybe get a second opinion on the safety of the pills and the need for them. If the second person said the same thing as the first, I'd probably take the meds. I, also, hate pills, so I understand not wanting to take them. Good luck, and let us know how things go.

Mommy to 2 girls, 1 angel, and a blessing due in June

·
Registered
2,975 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bookworm
I don't want to mess with little Jane's flora!
I don't really know what I'm talking about here but you're taking the antibiotics right? Not your dd. I didn't think the antibiotics would pass through the BM to mess with your dd's flora. It's not like getting IV antibiotics during labor when baby will get a 'dose'.

Maybe someone else knows how this works.

Whether to take them or not depends on your current state of health. In my current state (ie during last pregnancy and postpartum), I'd take them cause lately every little thing has turned into a major problem when I've let it go.

That is a hard spot to treat with topical treatments.

·
Registered
539 Posts
hmm...maybe ask for the lowest dose possible? Antibiotics can be passed in breastmilk, though i think the most common problem with them is that it can cause thrush (which can of course be treated if you two get it).

Considering your situation, the antibiotics are probably worth a small risk; my doc prescribed some for be after giving birth because i had stitches, and *might* get an infection, and i didn't think *might* was a good enough reason to add possible nursing problems. If you DO have an infection though, that's alot different.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
See if there is a topical antibiotic cream you could apply. Try the warm water soaks with epsom salts and som etea tree oil. The TTO has antibacterial and antiviral [properties, so it will help either way.

If you decide to take the antibiotics orally, you can take lots of good cultures for yourself as well.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies.

I have been doing the tea tree oil and soaks, and it is getting worse, so I am going to go on with the antibiotics. When it was hurting in the night last night enough that I was really aware of it, I got scared I was letting it get worse. So I'll have to replace that expensive bottle of probiotics I broke on the kitchen floor.

Hale's says only .95 percent of the mom's dose goes to baby, peaking at about 4-5 hours. Not that I can really pick a time that she won't be nursing with a 7-week-old, lol, but I thought it might be helpful to anyone doing an amoxil search. Also, it got an L1, the safest category for lactation. Apparently they do give it to children. (Not that that means anything.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.