Mothering Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
A society that really and truly cares about children, their parents, people in general and has, above all else, a reverence for the earth. Can I have that wrapped up with a nice bow on the package?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tata
A society that really and truly cares about children, their parents, people in general and has, above all else, a reverence for the earth. Can I have that wrapped up with a nice bow on the package?
That'd be perfect, but right now, I'd settle for one of those AP T-shirts from the other thread.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I told my wife not to worry about getting me anything cause I already got it all...kwim.

We'll probably go to the city for breakfast, which I enjoy. I'll be happy with that! My DS will probably get me a nice card and probably a little car that he's had his eye on for awhile (you know those little hotwheels or matchbox cars). He got me one last year for father's day and we call it daddies car. He keeps it in his toy bin.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by chersolly
What's on your wish list for Father's Day?
hahaha... well honestly, A BABY!!!

DW is due anytime in the next couple of weeks, so I'll be getting the best present a father could get!

·
Registered
19,261 Posts
: Great answers dads!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by AngelBee
: Great answers dads!!!
oh goody. do they win the prize? /sarcasm. I want nothing. Not because I abhor consumerism or desire the defeat of the "big evil" corps. It's a 2nd tier holiday, possibly even 3rd. I want nothing.

Well, actually I do want "something". I want to be alive. I want to awake, go through the day, then fall asleep. But I want this everyday. I want this everyday for myself, my wife, and my child.

If you wish me to be materialistic, I'll tell you that I want my 63" HiDef WS TV, that $3000 7.1 surround-sound system I've been thinking about for 3 years, and perpetual monthly money paid to me for watching movies. I would also like an antiquated CRAY system for my living room. I guess if I got the CRAY, I would need a bigger place....I want a cozy, original, average-priced home on 15 acres untouched (trees, ponds, creeks, rocks) near a larger city (pop. 300,000-1 million), paid off entirely with low property taxes.

Who can give it to me? All of it? Any of it? yeah. So, I'll be happy with nothing, because nothing is all I need this moment. With exception to being alive.
:

·
Registered
70 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZachZ
It's a 2nd tier holiday, possibly even 3rd. I want nothing.
While I agree that it's a 2nd/3rd tier "holiday", that doesn't mean that we have to treat it as such. In households where dads take active, if not equal roles, why should the moms have all the fun? And as for being materialistic, how's this? My father's day gift arrived today - a Sutemi baby carrier. Best father's day gift I've received.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wagodog
While I agree that it's a 2nd/3rd tier "holiday", that doesn't mean that we have to treat it as such. In households where dads take active, if not equal roles, why should the moms have all the fun?
We also treat Mother's day and Grandparent's Day and Step-Brother's Day the same, along with the "I love cheese" Day and Frog Day. I give my wife an occasional gift throughout the year for absolutely no reason other than I love her and I knew she wanted it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wagodog
And as for being materialistic, how's this? My father's day gift arrived today - a Sutemi baby carrier. Best father's day gift I've received.
Did I mention being materialistic? Oh, yes I did. Like I said...I want nothing for father's day. I will most likely purchase my son a new puzzle on that day. BUT, if I was to laviciously desire the tasty treats of the material world, I would want all the things I listed (ie. house). Other than those things, there is nothing that anyone could buy me. I don't want a tie, cellphone, golfclub, or any other crap like that. I concur that your baby carrier is an ideal gift for any parent for any (or no) reason. Today, I actually had to go hunting high & low for the date of Father's Day this year. I didn't know, and will probably forget later today. That's how important the day is to me. I guess that I am fortunate enough to have a fantastic relationship that doesn't regularly need each other's 'atta boys'. kudos to me.

Or one of thoses ap shirts you mentioned earlier.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Zach,

I hear you and agree w/ everything that you've said. In our household, we're also more inclined to give gifts for no other reason than "just because" rather than making a big deal about such occasions as father's day and the like. The baby carrier wasn't really intended as a father's day gift (dc #2 on the way and wanted an alternative to the Bjorn), but since we're not doing anything out of the ordinary, I'll treat it as such.

I just see nothing wrong w/ having fun w/ it. Now if others want to lavish me w/ gifts and such, who am I to complain?

·
Registered
41 Posts
True. I wouldn't complain either, if other gave me gifts. I would feel similarly about the carrier, and treat it as a Fathers Day gift. If was closer to my birthday, I would treat as that instead

edit to add: If you decide that you don't want that nice carrier, you can send it to me.

Happy Father's Day, everyone.

·
Registered
5,508 Posts
hey dads - I am so lame.

I got this little "magic show" in a briefcase box a couple of weeks ago (DS wouldn't leave the store without it, and I thought it would be a fun thing for him and dad to do, and it was on sale for a good price).

So, yesterday, I was trying to study, so I pulled it out for DS and DH to play with.

Then, I realized that I should have wrapped it up and given it to DH from DS for Father's Day.

So then I asked DH what he wanted for FD. I suggested that I make him a nice picnic lunch and we go to either the beach, or mini-golf, or something like that (and he can sleep in, too
) and I didn't tell him that DS made him a gift and card at school... but I don't have a card for him....

And I said "oh, I should have given you this magic kit for FD" (bc he seemed to like it as much/more than DS)....

would it be really weird and tacky to wrap it up and give it to him again on FD, along with the picnic, etc.? Or just let it go...

should I get him a tie, or a matchbox car, or something?

I have no money... I told him I didn't want to spend money bc we are on a tight budget...

but, even so, he is always generous to me; for MD I got a GC for a foot spa; for our anniversary (same month) he got me a beautiful necklace (and I got him nothing, bc I have no money... but I made him a few nice dinners that week!)

Please... any advice?
I feel like I am short-changing him...
maybe ds and I will go pick out some radishes or other goodies at the farmer's market tomorrow morning... he loves radishes

yeah, that's it! I'll get him some yummies from the market and make a card and a picnic lunch... and the yummies can go in the picnic lunch...

thanks for helping me work this out :LOL

(but I'm so open to any advice/feedback... I feel so lame)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Im sorry if im intruding where I've already posted on a dads forum, but..Urban planter: I want you to know you are not alone in feeling you might have short-changed dad. He always treats me extra well with things at b.days and x-mas and m. day... but Im always thinking we dont have the money. Last x-mas i got him a nice g.c. for a massage and he still hasnt used it. Maybe I should just make the appointment for him. :LOL Fathers day is in two days tho and I wont be able to get a spot probably. Oh well....
we did get him somethings- the kids and I and maybe he'll get something special from me Sunday evening

~L

1 - 16 of 16 Posts