Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay people are driving me crazy!! I am 5 days over my edd. I talk to my sister yesterday and she wants to know why I won't go to the doc. I tell her that actual gestation time is 41 wks. and besides what would the doc do anyways?? Then she proceeds to tell me about a friend who is being csectioned for a big baby and another friend that went over her edd and the baby died. So I better go to the doc before I kill my baby.

All this coming from my sister who has had 2 csections for big babies (that weren't that big, 7lbs.) and just couldn't handle bf'ing after 3 weeks. But you know not everybody can bf.

Then I have this other family tell me how I need to go to the doc because my placenta may be deteriorating and the doc needs to monitor it. This lady has smoked through all 5 of her pregnancies and has had all sick premie babies. And she's telling ME what to do in a pregnancy. Of course, she views all of her high risk extremely medicalized pregnancies as normal!!

Sorry for the long rant, but peoples stupidity and ignorance are driving me crazy. It doesn't seem to matter what I say they see it as irresponsible and that I can't possibly no more about my body than the doc.

So what are some things you say to people that either shut them up or make sense to them??

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
No matter what you say to them they are likely still going to view you as "crazy" for not doing what they'd do in your situation. so either use sarcasm or tell them to mind their own
" business (with a smile on your face)

·
Registered
295 Posts
This won't help you now, but if you have any more babies... I always tell people my dd is about 2-3 weeks later than it is (I don't actually believe in due dates, but don't people feel like they should know!). That way they don't keep bugging me about it. That baby will come when he/she is good and ready, no worries!

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
My response to ignorant things that people come up with like that is...

(wide eyes)...(pause)...I couldn't imagine doing something like that, do you know how dangerous that can be???

And people who know me know me to be very long-winded when I get on my spreading the word tangents about natural birth and breastfeeding, so that usually stops them there. And as for strangers...it's an opportunity to educate! I whip out my statistics that are as extreme and shocking as the ones they have tried out on me.

If I have the energy. Sometimes I pretend that I've just had a major brain fart and didn't hear what they said.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I went 5 days over my "due date" and I just didn't talk about it.

For my family I simply stated that my midwives were comfortable with my progress and I was being monitored.

Don't go into details, if they press just tell them your doc/midwife is well aware of your due date and everything is normal.

Best wishes!!!

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I always get the, "How long are they going to Let you go." To which I reply completly offended, "No one lets me do anything. This is my baby and my body, my choices." I go totally feminist on them and they shut up real quick.

Or if I am in a particularly bad mood I will just say, "Don't poke the momma bear."

You could just get snarky and say with rolling eyes, "Oh yes, you are so much more concerned about my baby than I am. I never would have thought of that, you are so smart. Thanks for informing me."
:

You most likely aren't going to be able to argue with them or convince them otherwise. Just get totally hormonal, you're entitled

BTW...I'm 12 days past now and my mother every night says, "Call me soon." meaning be in labor. I am tempted to call her during one of my midnight trips to the potty just to wake her up and annoy her

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I am the type of person who would just stop answering calls. If it's really important, they can leave a message. I'd also change my phone message to let them know I haven't had the baby yet, appreciate their call, and that I'm sorry if under the circumstances I'm not able to immediately return their phone call. And I'd say I'll be notifying everyone by phone or email when the baby IS born. Thanks for calling.

But I know some people just have to pick up the phone.
I prefer to avoid that kind of aggravation.

Julia
dd 11 mos

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
Jeez, 5 days is nothing! But yeah, I know a lot of mainstream moms who see a due date as THE END and so it's absolutely unfathomable to go past your edd. Gah. If I were 40+w pregnant and getting a lot of interference, I'd probably tell them to
off but that's just me.
:

·
Premium Member
14,038 Posts
I went a bit beyond 42 weeks...with my care provider's total approval and support. Their only request was that I have a NST every three days, starting after week 42. I actually went into labor the day before my first NST was scheduled.

Anyway, you could always say "I've spoken with my doctor and they're not concerned...my pregnancy is right on track and babe and I are fine. Thanks for your concern". After all...your pregnancy is none of their business (though your sister may think it is)!

Happy birthing and good luck with the busybodies

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by purposefulmother View Post
This won't help you now, but if you have any more babies... I always tell people my dd is about 2-3 weeks later than it is (I don't actually believe in due dates, but don't people feel like they should know!). That way they don't keep bugging me about it. That baby will come when he/she is good and ready, no worries!

:

·
Registered
442 Posts
I was 10 days over my due date with my last birth. The doctor was very much into having me induced, even though the ultrasound showed a very healthy placenta and plenty of fluid. My baby was big 8lbs 6 oz. I went into be induced (I think it's more of a watch your own butt witht he doctor thing) and thankfully went into labour that day anyways ha!

I just say to people, "The baby is fine, we are monitoring it." I genuinely think people are of good will, but alot of people are scared into what they believe now is normal.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Mom2thhts~ View Post
Okay people are driving me crazy!! I am 5 days over my edd. I talk to my sister yesterday and she wants to know why I won't go to the doc. I tell her that actual gestation time is 41 wks. and besides what would the doc do anyways?? Then she proceeds to tell me about a friend who is being csectioned for a big baby and another friend that went over her edd and the baby died. So I better go to the doc before I kill my baby.

All this coming from my sister who has had 2 csections for big babies (that weren't that big, 7lbs.) and just couldn't handle bf'ing after 3 weeks. But you know not everybody can bf.

Then I have this other family tell me how I need to go to the doc because my placenta may be deteriorating and the doc needs to monitor it. This lady has smoked through all 5 of her pregnancies and has had all sick premie babies. And she's telling ME what to do in a pregnancy. Of course, she views all of her high risk extremely medicalized pregnancies as normal!!

Sorry for the long rant, but peoples stupidity and ignorance are driving me crazy. It doesn't seem to matter what I say they see it as irresponsible and that I can't possibly no more about my body than the doc.

So what are some things you say to people that either shut them up or make sense to them??
All I can say is that I hope it is THEIR heads you are banging into those walls, and not your own.

BTW, what does NST stand for?

·
Registered
3,862 Posts
I would absolutely stop answering the phone and going out. I would say "sister I love you but I am doing this/not doing that and I will call when the baby is born"..

You do not need the stress of explaining yourself. I went to 42weeks with DD and people were driving me INSANE. I ended up changing my answering machine message to "Thanks for calling. I am not in labor and the baby has not been born yet. We will call when it happens." And I stopped talking to people. I just couldnt take it.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
NST is a non stress test. Go in when baby's active, drink some cold OJ, get hooked up to an EFM and push a button every time the baby moves. Doesn't prove much but seems to make the docs feel better.

·
Registered
3,646 Posts
EFM?

Make the docs feel better, huh? The reason I hated my one OB visit was because it was all about what the doc needed to do to me for herself to feel better. What about what makes the baby feel better?

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Yeah, I wouldn't answer the phone either. Being a smart ass like I am I would probably go a step further and record a phone message that gets to them....

"Hey, this is ____, as you know I am WAY over due and likely to be birthing a HUGE, oversized 8 pound baby by this point, IF babies that big can be birthed. So as you can imagine I need all the rest I can get, so I'll get back to you at my earliest convenience! Thanks!"

People these days...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
DS#1- 11 days 'overdue'
DS#2- 9 days 'overdue'
DD- 19 days 'overdue'

I literally told people to mind their own business. I also quit answering the phone (took it off the hook for hours at a time in fact) unless it was DH. Had DH send emails out telling family in other states that we'd call them when the baby came and that it was stressing me out that people kept asking about the babies being overdue (and how pitiful it is to make a pregnant lady stress out..sob..sob..) It worked...the 2nd time around hardly anyone asked..the third time I think I got ONE phone call asking if the baby was here yet...

Oh, and PS- it's actually a 'due month' from approximately 38-42 wks ASSUMING that you ovulate at EXACTLY the 28th day every month...if not, it can add weeks to your due date....so if you don't fit this mold...you're really NOT due!! (Feed on that for thought!!) Do some research on it and see (just for fun!)

Oh, and P.P.S- I never had a stress test or ultrasound in any of my pregnancies. Ever. In my opinion, screw what makes the dr's feel good, it's all about what makes me/my baby feel good and I don't believe either of those do. IMO.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by moodyred01 View Post
Yeah, I wouldn't answer the phone either. Being a smart ass like I am I would probably go a step further and record a phone message that gets to them....

"Hey, this is ____, as you know I am WAY over due and likely to be birthing a HUGE, oversized 8 pound baby by this point, IF babies that big can be birthed. So as you can imagine I need all the rest I can get, so I'll get back to you at my earliest convenience! Thanks!"

People these days...

I am going to steal that idea...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.