Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>Okay, so I hope this is OK. My friend on FB posted a status that she was feeling like a failure at BF'ing. I PM'ed her and this is our conversation.  I don't know what else to tell her...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Me:</p>
<div class="GBThreadMessageRow_Body_Content">Hey "friend", so I am no breastfeeding expert, but what exactly is going on? Is DD having trouble eating or is it just supply issues? If I can help at all just let me know!</div>
<div class="GBThreadMessageRow_Body_Content"> </div>
<div class="GBThreadMessageRow_Body_Content">Her:</div>
<div class="GBThreadMessageRow_Body_Content">Well she's tongue tied so she never latched on right. So at the hospital we fed her with a bottle which made her not even want to attempt to latch on, so I figured I would try to exclusively pump. So I got a hospital grade medela symphony from WIC and for the past month have been trying to establish a supply, I started only getting about 1oz a day after pumping every 3 hours. So I started doing it more often, emptying all the way and pumping a little extra to let my body know i needed more, and I got up to 3 oz a day... I have been pumping almost every hour or 2 hours for the past month and have only been able to get 3 oz a day :(. She takes 4 once bottles every 3 hours, so she's only been getting one bottle of breastmilk. I've tried the fenugreek for the past week and haven't increased, actually seems like its decreasing to be honest. I haven't had let down in 2 days. ugh. Been drinking a crap ton of water and increased my calories and everything. Talked to the lactation lady at wic on tuesday and she suggested reglan ( i may have spelled it wrong) but my OB won't prescribe it to me because I have a mild case of PPD and am on zoloft... So I am beyond frustrated. I don't know what to do at this point, and am seriously about to call it quits. I wanted to breastfeed so bad, or at least let her have my milk and I've worked so hard at it, but it's not working. I feel like a failure at this point. It's making me so depressed. :( Sorry for my rant. I have basically no support from my family since I was the only one to even attempt to breastfeed. So on one of my pregnancy forums is the only place I was getting support from... So yeah I am just depressed that I couldn't do it. I feel like i let her down. I waste 10 to 20 minutes every hour or two just to get like a quarter of an ounce out of both. so it's just not worth it :(</div>
<div class="GBThreadMessageRow_Body_Content">Me:</div>
<div class="GBThreadMessageRow_Body_Content">If she is tongue tied, why didn't they snip it? It's a really common procedure and really helps. It took FOrEVER for DD to get the hang of it. I was pumping, formula feeding, and trying to breastfeed around the clock for the first six weeks so I know how stressful it can be. She would just sit there, with my boob in her mouth and never latch. Shed just cry! And then one day, voila, she did it. I understand that its stressful, and if you feel like this might have somethng to do with your Ppd than it is much more important to have a healthy, happy mommy than to breastfeed. Maybe you could look into the milkshare site I put on your status OR post in the "find your tribe" section on Mothering.com. I love that site, it is the authority on natural parenting.</div>
<div class="GBThreadMessageRow_Body_Content">Her:</div>
<div class="GBThreadMessageRow_Body_Content">they asked if I wanted them to snip it and I said no lol I was born tongue tied as well and its weird but I kind of saw that as one of the only things I passed to her since she looked so much like her daddy. lol Yeah the PPD isn't that bad, just a crash of hormones i guess. Just feeling like a failure at the moment...</div>
<div class="GBThreadMessageRow_Body_Content"> <br><br>
SOOOOO, any advice for this momma?</div>

·
Registered
378 Posts
<p>i would encourage her to get the tounge tie snipped and to buy a supplimental feeder to tray and get him used to latching on. pumping like she is doing isn't sustainable. and a lactation consultant....and get in contact with LLL. but she is setting herself up for failing.</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
1,783 Posts
<p>Yeah, clip the tongue tie and work with an LC. I am a BF counselor with WIC and I can tell you that we have some training, but are really supposed to refer out for stuff like tongue tie.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts