Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I bought a collection of Imse Vimse Pull up training pants, aka Bumpy's. I love them. They are great. Hoorah.

The thing is, I also want to use some as diapers (my son is still quite a ways from potty learning, but we do some EC stuff so the trainers are great).

I'm going to stitch an extra soaker layer inside of about half of them so he can wear them for a little longer (like if we are going somewhere), as he would a regular diaper.

What would you stitch inside to make it more absorbant? Old towel cut to fit (that is terry, right?)? An infant prefold? A premie prefold? Something else?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Trimmest would be hemp - I've got a ton of hemp jersey flats and some hemp fleece you're welcome to, just remind me next time we plan to run together

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That would be great! Thanks! I'll probably take you up on that!
(of course, i'm not sure what the difference is between hemp jersey and hemp fleece...)

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Hemp fleece is like a sweatshirt, hemp jersey is like a tee shirt. In terms of absorbancy, 2 layers of hemp jersey is approx equivalent to 1 layer of hemp fleece. I think hemp jersey is more absorbant for the same bulk, though. I can give you some of both to try out

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
When my son was first potty-learning, we had the bumpy trainers, and if I thought there was a high likelihood of him having an "accident," (like if I thought he might fall asleep in the car), I would put a pair of under the nile training pants (just cotton) on underneath the bumpys. The combination was as absorbent as a diaper. Might be something for you to consider since the UTN undies would still be useful for when the bumpys were no longer necessary, and you wouldn't have to alter the bumpys in any permanent way.

HTH!

Lex

·
Registered
946 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Wawoof!

I'd love to try the jersey! I think it will be easier to work with than the fleece. I'll be hand stitching cause ds wants to be *WAY* too involved when I use the sewing machine these days. The hand stitching I can do in bed while he sleeps.

I think I will not put in a full seam where I stitch in the extra soaker fabric cause I think I'll probably remove it eventually.

I thought about the double underpants for the extra absorbancy, but one of the big wins we have with the pullup is the easy-on experience. I think ds would protest more to having to put on two pieces.

And, I just got a call from dh (SAHD. I'm at work.) telling me how much he likes the new pullups.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts