Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ds is 7 months old and has developed ezema on the backs of his thighs. It is spreading.
Dr prescribed hydrocortisone cream but I'd like to avoid using it if at all possible.
I started using calendula cream today.
I've heard avocado will clear it up, but ds is not interested in food and just gags (even pureed/strained stuff) and throws it up, so I can't feed him anything - just breastmilk.

Does ezema cause discomfort? Can I just moisturize it away? Is calendula baby cream a good option?

·
Registered
499 Posts
There is an eczema thread here http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ghlight=Eczema and also one that is archived (under health and healing archives). A good place to start would be to try and give your ds some evening primrose oil (or flax, but epo is better) and probiotics. I know giving oil is a challenge, so you can up your good oils with evening primrose oil, flaxseed oil, and fish oil. Lots of it. I take about 6 g of EPO a day and fish oil on top of that if I remember. I also heard that coconut oil helps with the good oil in your milk. And then you can take a probiotic yourself. Important for your ds is that you give him a probiotic with only b. infantis. Let him suck it off your finger, or dust it on your nipple before feedings. On the Healing the Gut Cheat Sheet there is a whole lot of info on infant gut flora which is really good.

Also, you can put flax or borage oil on your ds's legs. Some people like Aquaphor, some like some stuff from California baby. I cannot remember all of it, but there is a ton of info on the threads I mentioned.

Hope something helps.

·
Registered
9,270 Posts
warm (not hot) baths with ground up oatmeal. you want the oatmeal to not sink to the bottom of the tub. it's the only thing that's worked for dd.

eta: forgot to add that as soon as she's out of the tub, i pat her dry (not rub) and cover her in a petrolium like cream a friend makes for me. dd's allergist recommended pet. jelly or aquafor.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.