Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two mei tai's and I love them, but I think the n/b will get lost in there for a while. I used an OTSBH during infant stage (and beyond) last time, but I didn't really like it (my back hurt). What I like about mei tai's is that they distribute the weight evenly. I'm definitely open to suggestions. What worked for YOU during the newborn stage?

TIA

·
Registered
426 Posts
I used a stretchy wrap (Hug-a-Bub) when my son was 10d old at my sister's wedding. It was great. Kept the baby close by and snuggly, people just thought I was still pregnant. The other benefit was that no body insisted on trying to hold him.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'll also suggest a stretchy wrap - so comfy. I have a moby. I've also used a homemade pouch that has been good for quick trips - easy in and out.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I didn't have a wrap with any of my babies as newborns. I did use a pouch, ring sling, and mt with my last baby as a newborn. I did not care for the pouch, but the ring sling and mei tai both worked well.

If you are worried about baby getting lost in a MT, you can fold the waist down to make the body shorter. I actually liked the MT with a newborn because his head rested on the padded portion of the body.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmmmm--I hadn't thought of folding down the mei tai. I guess I just couldn't imagine a tiny one in there. Maybe I'll check it out with one of dd's "babies".

Sharlia, what is a kkacp?

·
Registered
426 Posts
KKACP = Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Cotton Pouch

I have a KKAFP (fleece pouch) and it does work well, 'cept I didnt' get it until DS was 1 or 2 mos old.

I just made myself two matching pouches of cotton jersey (or interlock, I'm never sure) to use like a "tricotti" or "slingset" that I think might be a little cooler than a wrap since it has way less material. I can't try it yet since my 8mos belly is in the way, but I can't wait to see whether it will work better than the wrap in this hot weather.

Oh, and wraps aren't that bad. They do have a learning curve, but front carries with stretchy wraps are quite lenient and not as hard as that awesome back carries with woven wraps. Lots of good websites, with videos, that you can look at, as well.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Another vote here for a Moby
. You can't go wrong. I used my unpadded ring sling a lot, too, but I know my baby preferred the stretch wrap.

I didn't have one when my ds was a newborn but I think a traditional podegai would also be very comfy for a newborn -- double shouldered and similar to a MT but a more snug fit without the gaps in the sides. I'm looking forward to trying it with #2!

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the responses so far. I may have to just try one of each
I'm sure dh would have a different perspective, however.

One thing is clear though--in the 2+ years since I purchased my mei tai's a lot of new babywearing stuff has come on the market. Some of the slings that were mentioned were around back then, but some I've never even heard of. Guess it's time to look at options and check them all out.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I loved my KKAFP for the cooler times and then another mama (can't remember the brand, it was new) made me a stretchy cotton pouch that was adjustable with snaps. I loved them both.

·
Registered
4,306 Posts
I used an OTSBH right from the beginning, and it worked ok, but I didn't love it. Now that dd is 12 weeks, her extra weight seems to make it more stable and her strong neck makes us able to sit her up in it, which I like a lot. Now I use it all the time and I love it. (although I would like something a little less bulky. At least the batik fabric is pretty!)

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was looking at the hotslings as a possibility as well, since I'm not crazy about the ring slings. Just wasn't sure about sizing and wondering if you need to change sizes when the baby gets bigger or if there is enough "give" to the fabric to accommodate the babe as it grows.

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by stayathomecristi
I was looking at the hotslings as a possibility as well, since I'm not crazy about the ring slings. Just wasn't sure about sizing and wondering if you need to change sizes when the baby gets bigger or if there is enough "give" to the fabric to accommodate the babe as it grows.
I was curious about this as well.

Anyone? Anyone?

·
Registered
426 Posts
I have found that you don't have to change sizes. As the baby grow, there will be less of the baby actually in the pouch. When they're really young, most of their body is in the pouch, but when they're older and they're mostly in the hip carry position, only their bum is really in the pouch. My 0.02--HTH!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts