1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
howdy everyone!

can i come in and play ?
:

i am so excited to be posting here, finally! i am due MAY 15 with my first child, a BOY! the reason i know this ... and the reason i waited so long to post ... is that i just got my CVS test results back and they confirmed that this is a healthy pregnancy ... HUGE sigh of relief

my previous pregnancy was diagnosed w/chromosome issues and we had to end it. the due dates are almost the same! (exactly one year later)

i never thought i would make it here, it's such an amazing feeling. wow.

about me: i am 36 years old, i am a writer, i work at home...i guess i qualify as "semi-crunchy"...i am going to have a hospital birth with a doula (i live in austin where they dont allow midwives in the hospitals anymore, that would have been my first choice!) ... i think cloth diapers look like a very cool thing ... and last night in the grocery store parking lot, DH and i quickly decided not to circ. the boy
funny to make such a huge decision as you are unloading frozen foods into the trunk of the car

i have dogs and two cats, live in a very old house and i am just now becoming a gardening fanatic! our house is in no way "set up" for a child so we are gonna have to do some major moving-around-of-stuff-and-knocking-down-of-walls!

i guess that's enough for now. OH. my original question: what's everyone's favorite week-by-week pregnancy site? i can't find one that's any good. i am ready to really enjoy this pregnancy...i was too scared to let myself "go there" for the past 11 weeks, ya know?

thanks everyone, i hope there is room for one more in this great gang of gals

deb

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
hi deb... congratulations! that's pretty neat to know that you're having a boy already! you can get started on those baby names.

i have a friend who lives in austin (i'm in canada though) who is planning a birth centre birth. she's due in dec/jan.

for the weekly info i've been reading the ticker info at baby-gaga.com. I just enter my due date, get my "ticker" and then read the info for the week. Probably someone else has a better site. Last time I got a book out of the library called "your pregnancy week by week" by Curtis I think.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thank you sweetie! i will check the site out.

if i was *younger* i would be gung-ho for a birth center birth ... but this hospital is very cool and super open to doulas ... so i trust em (hopefully i don't regret it
) i love the idea of a birth center but since i seem to be in that "1%" who is on the bad side of the statistics....eek. i guess i have become a bit paranoid.

thanks for writing back to me ... i thought my story might have freaked everybody out ... whew, glad it didn't.

deb

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
Congrats on your healthy little boy! I love little boys and we are hoping for one this time ourselves.

Welcome to the group. Looking forward to sharing the pregnancy experience with you.

·
Registered
3,346 Posts
Hello, Deb and
Glad to have you with us! I'm glad to hear that you'll be expecting a healthy baby, especially after what you had to go through last time
As far as the pregnancy calendar, I just tend to go to http://www.pregnancy.org/pregnancycalendar/ every once and a while to check in. It's not the best one out there, but it's the same one I used last time, so I guess it's just what I'm used to. You'll find MDC to be a great place to spend your pg

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oh, wow, thank you sooooooo much for the warm welcome!!

yes we are verrrrry excited, and DH is superDUPER excited, i wonder if he would be AS excited for a girl (hmmm!?) either way it's so cool, i keep thinking i must be asleep and dreaming

goldiemom, i grew up in wisconsin and miss it every day! not a lot of fall leaves or crisp air down here
i try to make it back a few times a year, my folks still live there, in madison.

deb

·
Registered
565 Posts
Hey deb! I am in Austin too - and due in May but looks like it might be April after all (I kinda messed up my LMP's)

I am a doula in Austin, so I know lots and lots of other doulas who can help you out! If you want some birth scoop, just give me a pm! Most hospitals in Austin lean heavily on the medicalized view of childbirth and while some are loving and open to doula's, some are lukewarm, and some are openly hostile. Its a minefield here.

Congrats to you and blessings to your family!!!! Austin is a fantastic place to raise a baby - we have a great AP community too!

·
Registered
639 Posts
Congrats and welcome! - small world, I'm living in Wisconsin, too - Fond du Lac (Goldie - I saw you asked in the midwives thread, didn't get around to replying
). I get the Babycenter.com newsletter, it's fine. I'll check out the others mentioned on this thread, too.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by tofutti View Post
thanks for writing back to me ... i thought my story might have freaked everybody out ... whew, glad it didn't.
Nah, it's just Friday and I guess we're all a little busy Friday afternoons. One thing I like about this group is that it is pretty difficult to say anything that is so weird or embarrassing that no one answers! Everyone here is supportive and polite and just downright nice and also very accepting of everyone else's viewpoints and decisions, even if they were not ones that they would make themselves. That's why I like it here. Welcome, hope you enjoy it here as well.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
congrats and welcome!

must be cool to know for sure what you're having so early on

uhh, this is *MDC* sweety, you can't freak us out!!

Oooh, I am so jealous, you live in austin! i lived there a bit this summer, staying with a friend. i
it there--i grew up about an hour north of you

i am used to www.babycenter.com, but i'm quite sure it's NOT the best site out there

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
aw, you guys make me feel so welcome, that means SO much to me!

i am having kind of a bizarre time believing this is "real" since i spent the last 11 weeks pretending that it wasn't!

well, i can't wait to hang out with y'all for the next...well.....now it's 6 months!?
:

-- deb --

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
welcome and congrats. I really like the visible embryo project found at www.visembryo.com it actually goes in spurts of about 5 days and is really informative. Hope you like it!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
OMG tracy -- that site is a TRIP!!!!!!!!! woah!!!!

it looks so much more "alien" than i guessed! its funny from the sonogram, my mind was "filling in" human//cute kid facial features, etc.....but when i look at that, man, it's really still closer to .... i don't know? a fish?

coolness, thanks.

deb

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
you know, I can't figure out that site! I am due just one day after you, and if you read the description for this picture you'll see that it says 56-60 days post ovulation. That's where I'm at, but it says "carnegie stage 23, first trimester" I originally clicked on "12" since I'm almost 12 weeks. So I guess the stage is not the number of weeks. Our babies are much more human looking these days

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ooooooooh !

how hilarious, i need to check again. that is too funny. i just clicked on 11 weeks and i was like -- what the.....??? it's a shrimp!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
oh, it's a tofu ice cream-like product!! me and dairy don't get along (except for goats milk). they make those little tofutti cutie ice cream sandwiches too....yum

it's also just such a funny word......and my favorite comedy show of all time ("Mr. Show") had a routine about a nerdy bill gates kind of boss who would force his employees to have "tofutti breaks!" and then YELL at anyone who dared to say "um, this does not taste like ice cream" "it does SO taste like ice cream!"

hee hee hee it makes me laugh just thinking about it

1 - 20 of 30 Posts