Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Quick question... What's a naturopath? and a homeopath? Are they the same thing? How would I go about finding one? oh yeah, and what's a DO (I always thought they were more "natural")? Thanks!

· Registered
461 Posts
Hi there,

A Naturopath is a doctor who uses natural medicines (botanicals, herbs, manipulation, homeopathy, etc) for healing. They can also prescribe some medications. Their degree is an ND and they go to school 4-5 years after attaining a bachelors degree just like MD's do. Most ND's have homeopathy training and prescrible homeopathic medications.

There is no separate certification for homeopaths in the US so usually you have to go to an ND if you want a homeopathic visit. Some ND's get more post-graduate training in homeopathy than others and some base most or all of their practice on homeopathy.

To find an ND, go to www.aanp.org

Make sure you go to a naturopath that has gone to one of the accredited schools and has not got a mail order degree from a corerspondence college like Clayton. The AANP website only lists properly accredited ND's.

A DO is an osteopathic doctor and some are more holistic but these days, most are no different than MD's.

Hope this is helpful!

· Registered
2,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. jassyp! The website you listed (aanp) is the "American Association of Nurse Practitioners". I can't find ND's on there... help!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.