Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, so my sister and I were discussing the risks of FFing, and she said she had read somewhere that smoking and BFing were better for a baby (I mean the mother smoking, not the baby
) than FFing.

Then, I told my PG friend this (we were talking about how stupid some women's thought processes are re: risks in pregnancy, such as the woman who refuses to have one ounce of wine while pregnant, but wants to have an elective c-section
: ).

Now, I want to make sure I can back up the smoking statement. I found on kellymom that smoking and BFing is better than smoking and FFing, but can't find a comparison of smoking and BFing vs. not smoking and FFing. Does anyone have any info? If not, which do you think is better for a baby? Or does that require deciding whether diabetes is better than lung cancer?

This statement really seemed to hit home with my friend, so I want to use it with other pregnant friends if it's true (on the other hand, people spread plenty of lies about formula -- I kind of want to tell people whether it's true or not
: ).

Thank you!

·
Banned
1,288 Posts
I've heard the same thing about bf'ing and smoking. Don't know about bf'ing and smoking vs. formula and not smoking. I believe that the sids risk is higher in infants who are not breastfed than those who are and also have parent who smoke. So to me that means, formula is riskier than second-hand smoke for babies. I know if I said that to anyone they would flip out though, because smoking causes cancer, but "I was fed formula and I'm just fine".

On a similar note, my sister flipped out when she found out we were co-sleeping because of the "sids risk". But she smokes AND formula feeds. I don't think she understands that doing both of those things is WAY riskier than how you sleep. And it's not really the sids risk anyways, but suffocation you have to worry about and that is so rare it's a non-issue anyways. If you want to get technical about it, crib-sleeping has a higher risk of sids, not co-sleeping. But I'm rambling OT.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
well i think what kellymom says is it's better to smoke and bf than smoke and ff. I don't know about smoking and bf vs not smoking and ff. That would be hard to find studies on, I'm sure. Plus I'd be willing to bet that if you do find anything on it it's highly based on opinion.

·
Registered
11,714 Posts
My SIL just asked her Dr "I don't plan on quitting smoking (she smoked during her PG) Should I just put him on the bottle?" Her Dr said no, just make sure to change her clothes and wash up after smoking and to try to smoke directly after nursing. Dr things smoking while Bfing is better than formula. That's what they teach us in WIC too.

ETA: SHe only smokes outdoors, not around baby.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Yeah, if you're smoking around baby, it's going to get into their system whether you bf or not. So at least baby is getting some protection against it.

·
Premium Member
22,696 Posts
I have also read that BF and smoking is better than FF and smoking. FF and not smoking? I always thought the biggest issue with smoking was the toxins in the air more than what is in the breastmilk, but I haven't looked into this issue specifically. But it would seem like an odd choice if a mother decided to give up smoking so that she could formula feed.

·
Registered
11,072 Posts
Smoking is unhealthy in general but I've read that you would have to smoke around 30 cigarettes a day in order for anything to get into your bm. So as long as you're not around baby at all when you smoke and wash your hands after, etc..baby isn't directly affected. But then again..it gets on/in your clothes.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I wonder if they mean smoking inside around the baby all the time, or smoking outdoors. Smoking 3 packs a day or 3 cigarettes a day? Are there any actual studies on this?

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
The idea of comparing smoking and bf to not smoking and FF is purely political - it's not a real world application- that scenario only exists to compare things which really don't relate to eachother...

Is it at all relevant to compare on less than ideal situation to another less than ideal situation? How about all parents get information that is measured off an ideal and we go from there.

Is it better to drive a car low on oil or to drive one with a flat tire? Or, if you want to drive a car with a flat tire- be sure you at least check the oil...

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarah
Is it better to drive a car low on oil or to drive one with a flat tire? Or, if you want to drive a car with a flat tire- be sure you at least check the oil...
Good point.

Thanks, mamas. So, I think I can say this in good conscience (maybe with a disclaimer that it may depend on where/when the smoking occurs around the baby). This friend doesn't smoke and would NEVER smoke with a new baby, so it was shocking (in a good way) for her to hear that breastmilk with nicotine in it (however small the actual amount) is still better than formula.

Maybe that could be the next round of breastfeeding ads: types of breastmilk that are better than formula:
-breastmilk with nicotine
-breastmilk with pesticides, etc.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I know that my neighbor FF and smokes; just not around the children or in the house. All of herchildren have severe allergies and her baby, 10 months, already needs tubes from all of the ear infections. The last one was so bad that the infection was deep behind his ear drum.

I would say that is she at least BF, her baby's colds, infections, etc. wouldn't be as severe.

·
Registered
8,869 Posts
Even if the mom smokes, the baby still benefits from her milk. If she doesn't nurse, then baby doesn't get those benefits.

LLL sees it this way too last time I read there.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
i think it is really a non issue. its not like a mother is going to take up smoking just because she is breastfeeding. so if the baby is going to get second hand smoke anyway they better get the breast milk. second hand smoke is far more harmful than anything going through the breastmilk. (second hand smoke gets no filtering but chemicals coming through the breastmilk have been filtered by the cig, by the lungs,by the blood stream and whatever other filtering breastmilk gets. granted it is stioll preferable not to smoke but ,. . . . )

so anyway what difference does it make? so a ff feeding mo can feel superior to a smoking breastfeeding mom? the other way around? who cares. don't smoke but if you do be sure you breastfeed Avoid formula but if you can't yuo beter not smoke.

·
Registered
292 Posts
From an Australian article

Quote:
Smokers may choose to give up breastfeeding because they fear contamination of their milk is a greater risk to the baby than artificial feeding. It is important to remember that artificial milks do not have any of the unique nutritional or immunological advantages of breastmilk and that it is preferable to continue breastfeeding. It is actually more important to stop smoking in families where infants are artificially fed (Chen 1989).
http://www.breastfeeding.asn.au/bfinfo/drugs.html

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
I have read, and darned if I remember where because I'd love to provide a link (I think it was actually in the newspaper, though) that breastfeeding actually helps protect your baby from the nicotine that is in your system.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Hey I just had the same conversation!! Oh wait, because it was with you
! I read through the whole thread before going back and realizing that there was a reason the conversation sounded so familiar
. Hi Jill!!
Katie

·
Registered
322 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lilyka
i think it is really a non issue. its not like a mother is going to take up smoking just because she is breastfeeding...
I was thinking the same thing. Then, I thought,what if I mother who smokes could believe that if she breastfeeds and smokes her child is better off than if she formula feeds? Then she is entitled to less "guilt" than the mothers who formula feed, but she gets to continue smoking (which is one of the hardest additions to kick). Then, the challenges of breastfeeding are REALLY worth it, because the guilt over smoking is so emotionally exhausting. [just hypothesizing here]

So I found this article. Definitely food for thought...(no pun intended)

Quote:
Can breast feeding modify the adverse effects of smoking during pregnancy on the child's cognitive development?
L Batstra, J Neeleman and M Hadders-Algra

Our results indicate that negative effects of maternal smoking on children's cognitive performance were limited to those who had not been breast fed.

...features of breast milk itself, like high concentrations of long chain polyunsaturated fatty acids or maternal hormones,2,4,5 may have positive effects on early brain development, and counteract the harmful effect of maternal smoking during pregnancy on the fetus. This notion has important practical implications, especially for nicotine addicted future mothers. Apart from helping these mothers to stop or diminish their tobacco consumption, they should be encouraged to breast feed.
http://jech.bmjjournals.com/cgi/content/full/57/6/403

1 - 20 of 21 Posts