Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im just curious as to if anyone was considering what method theyd like to use for bc after their baby was born.

Im really lost as to what to even use...I considered sterilization but am affraid of post tubal syndrome horror stories.
Depo makes me whacked out, Im not terribly compliant with bc pills. The patch either falls off me or causes mega rashes, nuva ring sounds icky to me
Im allergic to latex so condoms get expensive fast (poly) besides which they ummm tend to roll off dp and our sex life is insanely active sooooooo...
Oh and I SUCK at charting...seriously...Im bad.
Mirena sounds interesting to me but I have bizarre hormone issues so I dont know if it'll work out for me...strings through my cervix sounds ummm...kinda strange too.
tell me what your plannin on doing for yourselves!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
In the 8+ years I've been with DH, we've never used birth control besides keeping an eye on fertile time and withdrawl, which is actually much more effective than it is made out to be (as long as the man has control!!!).
I don't like the idea of screwing around with hormones like the pill or depo. IUD's scare me... sterilization I think would make me feel like less of a woman or view DH as less of a man (silly I know but that's me...). Nope, we'll just keep on doing what we've been doing. It's never failed us yet!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I totally wish withdrawal would work for us, he has absolutely no self control...zero...zilch...nada, which can be FUN, but I digress..

I totally hear you on the less of a woman/man thing, I feel the same way in a lot of respects. Im tired of hormones too, but was on a specific bc pill for a while to help with my testosterone level.

soooo, here I am....still a bit lost.

·
Registered
5,713 Posts
I want to be done with 4, but I haven't convinced DH so no tubal for me. That actually works out OK because this time I will be delivering at a catholic hospital that doesn't do post-partum tubals.

In the past I did micronor (progesterone only) ocp's. Did well with them, but I 've always wondered if they slowed down my milk supply.

This time I'm going for the copper IUD. I don't want any hormones. I need to get my weight down to a reasonable goal after it took a big climb this summer before I was diagnosed with being hypothyroidism.

I may only keep it in for a couple of years, but I don't care about the cost. I just don't want to add another for a bit.

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
Nothing permanant, even though we are not planning on any more children after this baby. I guess just breastfeeding
, charting and self control, and a condom here and there, if needed.

·
Premium Member
34,292 Posts
NFP. Hormonal birth control does a number on me as well. I thought about a diaphragm but without any spermicide, but I don't know how effective that would be.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
nfp - i still can't tell ovulation for sure through cervical mucous alone - I take my temp each morning and abstain (or use condoms) from day 9 until my temp has been up for several days and I know ovulation has occured. I also abstain (or use condoms) if I've been sick or have a few glasses of wine in case it messes with my temp...
Of course, I got preg while doing that this past July - but we were going to start trying in September -so I um...was getting a little careless as the target time approached!

birth control pills make me very uncomfortable.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
great thread. I'm so not sure what we will do. I've tried BC pills, and had the mirena IUD and hated both. I don't do well with hormones. I thought about the paraguard but for a variety of reason's I don't think I'd be happy with it. I've also been considering a tubal since it will be my 4th c-section and it would be easy to do then but I'm not 100% we are done having babies and for some reason it freaks me out.

I would love to do NFP but am not sure how effective it is while breastfeeding, especially that first year.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I went ahead and got the tubal. I've had fibroid surgery plus 2 c-sections and MISERABLE pregnancies. My youngest was a "condom baby" and I can't handle hormonal BC, and IUD's freak me out because everyone I know has had problems with them. So far so good! (LOL it hasn't even been two weeks though)

·
Registered
734 Posts
Withdrawl has worked for us for over 6 years, before getting pregnant. (And it really worked, 'cause we got pregnant on on first try!) I loosely watch my cycle, which has been very regular... I bet we'll do that until we decide we are done with kids. (This is #1, but we have aself given limit of 2... I think...)
I too, won't do hormones. I tried the copper IUD, but it was miserable. I had craps and spoting two weeks of the month, and it wasn't worth the oter symptom less half of the month... I am willing to try it again, as supposedly it works better after birth...

·
Registered
683 Posts
We're not going to do anything after this one- we don't care when we get pregnant again. But then we're "done" so I am planning on the diaphragm after that. I conceived my 3 boys with "nfp"== ok, the key to that is- the man has to be in on it. He was not supportive at all, thus, 3 kids... I went on Depo after my 3rd son, it was ok emotionally, but spotted alot. Then did bc pills, I did fine with them- but I think it messed up my hormones- as it has been really hard to conceive now- and it was a little too easy before.
Anyway, so after we decide we're done having kids then I want to use the diaphragm and then maybe he'll get snipped when he's a little older-- just in case we change our minds in the next few years.
If any of you plan on a tubal-- from experience (people I know) the gals that have heavy periods tend to have heavier periods after the tubal.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
I'm not sure...I don't want anything hormonal, I don't want to use condoms all the time, and I had an IUD (not mirena) after Finn and had no problems, except for one...I got pregnant on it and then miscarried after it was removed. It was a horrible experience, so I won't go that route again. I would like to get good at charting and either abstaining or using condoms when necessary, but I may just use a diaphragm. Once we are sure we're done, I think dp is pretty open to getting the big V, but it's totally up to him. I would never get a tubal personally.
In all honesty, my sex drive is practically nil while I'm breastfeeding (it's a wonder we conceived this one at all!
) that condoms will probably be fine for the first year...

·
Registered
5,936 Posts
definitely nfp, I am against abc for many reasons; emotional, physical, religious etc.

·
Registered
3,677 Posts
I'll probably go back to the patch after done breast feeding, I'm not comfortable with regulating my hormones and passing those on to babe. Until then we'll probably use condoms. We're apparently very fertile and don't want another one RIGHT away! After we're done I have to be on something anyways or I go insane, so I'll be on the patch for years anyways. I use it more as a mood stabilizer than as birth control... birth control from the patch is just kind of a bonus for us.

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
It's up in the air for us. I won't do anything hormonal for many reasons and prefer not to have an IUD. I am trying to talk DH into a vasectomy but he is reluctant. That leaves us with NFP, which is effective but not the loosey-goosey way we have practiced it for the past several years (3 children later...
). So we either have to be more disciplined or we need to further explore permanent forms of bc.

·
Registered
3,546 Posts
We use Avanti polyurethane condoms without spermicide. We use 'em with a silicone lube.

There's a vasectomy in the distant future, of course, but until then we'll use Avanti. Still cheaper than another baby.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.