Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Felting is FANTASTIC, is what felting is! LOL. It only works with 100% (or close to it) wool, and not superwash.

Basically, you put a wool knitted thing that is big and loose and floppy into a hot water washing machine and agitate. The fibers in the wool lock up and you can't see the stitches anymore ( perfect for those uneven stitches!) and you have a thick strong fabric that you can shape into whatever you want. It's mostly used for bags and slippers and things because felted wool is not stretchy at all.

I don't have any super awesome felting links for you, but I have this picture of slippers I made Fooshies The one on the right is pre-felting, the one on the left is after felting.

It is addicting!
~Devon

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so you only do it with knitting not crochet? do you buy the wool yarn by the regular cotton yarn in the store or only online?

Devon, I have to say, those fooshies are what made me ask, they are sooooooo cute!!!!

·
Registered
2,065 Posts
Aren't they? I hate to toot my own horn but DANG! They are freakin adorable. They're for a girl I work with, her shower is Monday. I used Cascade 220, which I bought at an internet sale for like $4.

I guess you could do it with crochet, I don't see why not... any 100% wool will work, as long as it's not Wool-Ease or other "washable" wool. It is hard to find this at Michael's, I don't know about JoAnn's but on the East Coast AC Moore has a pretty decent selection.

There are knitting stores (LYS) alll over where they sell great yarn, but you can often get better prices online.

~Dev

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
You don't even need to do it with crochet (you can of course!) You can also do it with unspun fleece and make your own felt. You can do "wet felting" which uses a hot and cold water + agitation process... and you can do "needle felting" which pokes and tangles the individual fibers into felt and is a dry process. I just got some needle felting needles yesterday and have been making a little "maisy" doll this AM with some discarded fleece from hand combing for spinning... it's SO easy and fun- and cute! Do a internet search for needle felting and I'm sure you will see lots of cute little toys and hatc etc.

Love Sarah

1 - 6 of 6 Posts