Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Felting is FANTASTIC, is what felting is! LOL. It only works with 100% (or close to it) wool, and not superwash.

Basically, you put a wool knitted thing that is big and loose and floppy into a hot water washing machine and agitate. The fibers in the wool lock up and you can't see the stitches anymore ( perfect for those uneven stitches!) and you have a thick strong fabric that you can shape into whatever you want. It's mostly used for bags and slippers and things because felted wool is not stretchy at all.

I don't have any super awesome felting links for you, but I have this picture of slippers I made Fooshies The one on the right is pre-felting, the one on the left is after felting.

It is addicting!
~Devon

· Registered
2,133 Posts
Aren't they? I hate to toot my own horn but DANG! They are freakin adorable. They're for a girl I work with, her shower is Monday. I used Cascade 220, which I bought at an internet sale for like $4.

I guess you could do it with crochet, I don't see why not... any 100% wool will work, as long as it's not Wool-Ease or other "washable" wool. It is hard to find this at Michael's, I don't know about JoAnn's but on the East Coast AC Moore has a pretty decent selection.

There are knitting stores (LYS) alll over where they sell great yarn, but you can often get better prices online.

~Dev

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.