Mothering Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know we have a dinner thread but I have been struggling with lunch. I'm really trying to be good and stay away from "bad" carbs, but sandwiches always win the lunch vote! DH and I have also decided that we'd rather make lunch at home more often, to save money and be healthier. So far I have stocked up on bread (whole wheat, of course) and made some tasty chicken salad, bought some hot dogs and salad stuff. But other than that I am at a loss. DH works off and on so most of the time he is home to eat with me, but I'm not a picky eater as far as it HAS to be lunchy-type cuisine. I'm more likely to eat leftovers if there's no one else to feed. And with DS being only about 11 months, it has to be something quick and easy to prepare.

Any ideas, mommas?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I've been on a big fruit kick lately, melons, strawberries, apples, oranges... I've been making fruit salads as a side dish for over a week now! I found that if I mix cottage cheese into it, it provides the protein I need to fill me up.

If you're into sandwiches, there are certainly ways to make them really healthy. Whole grain, multi grain bread is a good start; lots of greens (lettuce, spinach, baby greens), some good protein filled cheese, maybe some sliced avocados... Yumm...now I'm hungry!!!!
Of course your favorite lunch meat, just get it without fillers or added preservatives (I found that if you have the deli slice ham or turkey or chicken breast for you instead of buying pre-sliced pre-packaged then you're more likely to get the healthier meats. Check labels.)

Maybe make some hearty home made soups to complement your sandwiches? I made a really good broccoli soup the other day, and added celery and carrots to it. Man it was good! A perfect complement to a good sandwich. And it's easy to make up a big batch of soup on a weekend and put some in the fridge, some in the freezer, for the rest of the week.

Also, breakfast for lunch (or dinner!) has been appealing to me. Eggs, bacon, ham, yummy!!

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I struggle with lunch, too, more so than other meals of the day.

Lately I've been into yogurt, cheese and avocado sandwiches, hummus and veggies, chicken salad, lentil or vegetable soups, bean burritos, pasta salads (okay, pasta of any variety, lol), string cheese, spinach salad with pears or strawberries or apples, walnuts or pecans, blue cheese and balsamic dressing, and peanut or almond butter sandwiches with banana. Oh, and BLTs, too. Yum!

I am definitely craving protein and carbs this pg, above all else. Although now that you mention it, 2boyz, mmmm, fruit smoothies also sound pretty darned good.

For me, though, the trick is to have this stuff readily on hand, b/c my blood sugar plummets quickly and then I'm too grumpy and weak and sick to make myself anything and it just spirals down from there.
:

Guin

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
pretty much that is what i eat, lots of big salads with eggs, meat and cheese, sandwiches with turkey, veggies and cheese, soup, leftovers, chicken salad, egg salad, shrimp salad, stuff like that. sometimes i'll do baked potatoes and broccoli with cheese or burritos.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I have been so not into cooking this week. Not sure why, but all meals have been torturous for me. . .I never know what to make or what I want this week. Sigh. I often have to pack lunch, so that's usually sandwiches unless I have leftovers. I am big on avocado and cheese, or almond butter and jelly. If I get to stay home I often make a burrito for lunch or egg salad.

I used to love big salads for lunch, but I have a hard time getting enough protein in them now. . .so I usually save salad for a dinner side dish. Soup and grilled cheese is an old standby.

This thread is good for me. . .gives me some ideas for my own lunch today. Otherwise I'd be tempted to just go out and grab something less healthy!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kismetbaby View Post
This thread is good for me. . .gives me some ideas for my own lunch today. Otherwise I'd be tempted to just go out and grab something less healthy!
I met hubby at Penn Station for lunch today
But man, it was GOOD! I got a chicken parmesan, yummmmmmmm!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
The kids and I went out shopping and I was starving so I stopped at Burger King.
I shared a cheeseburger with my son, so that's not too bad. I plan to have a healthy dinner.

·
Registered
425 Posts
: Hmmm, so hungry. Those ideas sound REALLY good! I saw avocados at the store last night and didn't get any. I LOVE them but just wasn't sure what to eat it with. Now I want some...

·
Premium Member
14,677 Posts
Well, yesterday was cereal
... in my defense, it was a craving, I hadn't had cereal in probably 3 years, so I had to go down to the store to get some.

Lunch is quite difficult for me. A big pot of beans and some tortillas make bean & cheese burritos quite easy. With spring and fresh produce here, salads are also lovely... I don't usually like salads for dinner, so if I want them I have to eat them for lunch. Topped with all sorts of protein, of course.

Otherwise it winds up being a handful of nuts, a piece of cheese, an apple, all snacked over the afternoon. Or leftovers.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by newmomroxi View Post
: Hmmm, so hungry. Those ideas sound REALLY good! I saw avocados at the store last night and didn't get any. I LOVE them but just wasn't sure what to eat it with. Now I want some...
Oh, I am a total avocado fan. . .so a few ideas. Of course they are fab on sandwiches, especially with sharp cheddar or havarti (but any cheese really). . .I also like avocado chopped up on top of a salad. . .in a burrito. . . or cut up on top of bean soup or chili. And of course there is guacamole! Yummy!!! I make the super simple kind, smash avocado with lime/lemon juice, and salt (add cilantro, onion, jalapeno, or tomato as you desire) and then eat it with corn chips or even just spread on toast or a tortilla crisped up in the oven (if you don't want the chips). Its good as a veggie dip too.

You can even add avocado to smoothies and puddings. . .adds a creaminess, but I like the taste of them savory so much, that I never have any left to try this. The are a great source of healthy fats. Guess what I'm having at lunch today?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Oooh, now I really want an avocado and an egg-salad sandwich!
:

For lunch today: Leftover home-made chicken noodle soup and 2 granola bars for snacks. Bleh. My banana wasn't ripe enough to bring to work.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Pre-pregnancy, I was a notorious lunch skipper. Without breakfast, I'd die. Without dinner, I'd kill someone. But lunch? It's always just seemed like an extra hassle to me.

Now, of course, I NEED to eat it or I turn into a crazy rabid pregnant lady, so I've been working out a system for making sure it happens with the least amount of annoyance and unhealthiness. What works really well for me is making a BIG batch of healthy, hearty soup on Saturday or Sunday. I then freeze this in single servings, which I pull out one by one for lunch during the week. Usually I pair the soup with some salad, but that's just because I have salad cravings. (Really.)

This week's soup is potato-parsnip vichysoisse with spinach. Mmmm... almost time for lunch.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Right now I am on a sub sandwich kick....I was like this with my first. We stick nitrate free salami and other lunch meat with swiss cheese on a roll and put those into the toaster oven until the cheese is bubbly and everything is hot and then add spinach, tomato and avocado. It fills me up for lunch and it tastes SO GOOD. I usually wash it down with lemonade because I am loving the citrus lately as well. I am lost outside of this sandwich right now and don't have the energy I would need for more elaborate meals
Pg is tiring!!

Hope you find something good to eat.

Warmly,
Erin
EDD #5 9-15-09

·
Registered
245 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by confustication View Post
I had leftover french onion soup for lunch... usually I go for a salad with some egg or cheese or chicken or something, but if there are good leftovers in the fridge I often grab that.
French onion soup sounds delicious!

I love avocado, tomato, sprouts, and red onion sandwiches. With a little sprinkle of paprika.

My 2 yo son eats like a linebacker, so I always have to make something for lunch.

Today, we were extra good and packed lunch for the zoo. Brown rice, cubed roasted sweet potato, and black beans. Very good. If you eat cheese, a simple meal is a baked sweet potato, topped with black beans and cheddar.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.