Mothering Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am currently TTC and was really hoping to go for a HB this time, last one was in a hospital. So are midwives no longer legally able to attend HB's? I really wouldn't feel comfortable going UC and I know DH would never go for that! What are my options? Or do I have any?

·
Registered
2,208 Posts
The situation still depends on your particular area. The law has not changed. Licensed midwives need a written practice agreement with an OB or hospital. A large number of NYC HB midwives lost their agreements because their hospital closed.<br><br>
Outside of NYC, things are as they always were. I heard the Ithaca midwives were losing their agreements, but this was not connected to the NYC problems (it happened before St Vincents announced its closure).<br><br>
If your midwife still has an agreement, she can continue to do home birth. Supporters of midwifery are lobbying the Legislature to change the law, but this has not yet happened.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am in central NY, a little west of Syracuse. As far as I know, the Ithica group is closest to me. So if they are losing their agreement, are they no longer doing HB's? What are the other options in this case?

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
There are still midwives near Syracuse who will attend your birth if you really want a home birth. It's one of those things where you have to know who to ask.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
The ones in Ithaca will lose their OB backup as of July 1st.<br><br>
So I second what phathui5 said...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thanks! I hope I know of the "right" person to ask when the time comes! Also, if they lose they practice agreement, does that mean that insurance would not cover it then? I know in NY health insurance has to cover homebirth, but even if they're not backed up by a dr?

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
IMO, most likely if the hb midwives don't have a ob backup then it won't be "legal" so insurance wouldn't cover it...

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
It would most likely be an "out of pocket" expense.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
HB's are alive and well in the mid-Hudson valley ... midwives still make arrangements w/doctors here...<br><br>
good luck<br><br>
Liz

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I'm most concerned about what's happening in NYC since the closing of St. Vincent's. Initially, I got several emails about how this is threatening home births in NYC. I didn't realize it was the "backup" hospital for so many midwives. But I haven't gotten an email update on this in a week or two, and I've done some searches online to find more up-to-date news without success.<br><br>
Has anyone spoken to any NYC midwives or doulas about how the SV closing is affecting specific providers "on the ground?" I'm hoping to have a home birth some time next year, and I wonder how this is going to limit my choices of midwives (I'm not pregnant yet, so I haven't met with any yet myself).

·
Registered
766 Posts
I am getting constant updates from my HBMW. (She's sending out mass-email-updates).<br><br>
It's REALLY important THIS WEEK to contact your state legislators to show your support for midwives. The doctors met with legislators this week, so now more than ever, our calls & letters & personal meetings will make a difference to show that real women use these MWs and MWs are safe, professional, responsible and need to be a choice for a pregnant woman.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts