Mothering Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ladies,

My baby is 9 weeks old, just for some past history. And I bled for like 2 weeks pp.

DH and I resumed our sex-lives normally and were just fine. No pain or anything. And then all of a sudden like a month ago I started to bleed unbelievably heavy. I called my OB and she said it was probably nothing to worry about, and probably had nothing to do with having sex.

Okay
So we waited anyway, and we've been having intercourse again for about a week now. It was fine until a couple of days ago and I am bleeding something fierce again. Blood clots and everything. (no bigger than an eraser head) Last night I was craming pretty badly too...DH woke up to me moaning and tried getting me to go to the ER, but that wasn't going to happen!

So, is it from sex? Or is it something worse? I'm on BC, but it's micronore, a very very low dose. Could I have gotten pregnant, and be miscarrying? (but that wouldn't explain the same bleeding patterns as last time) The bleeding also stopped last night (or so it seemed) and resumed again this morning.
:

I really, really do not want to go to my ob. I hate ob's (and any other doctor for that matter) with a passion because all they will want to do is do a pap and such.

Any advice or ideas?

·
Registered
6,878 Posts
Sorry but if you're passing clots and bleeding heavily you really need to see someone about it, and asap. Please don't mess with this kind of thing.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Questions for you:

Are you breastfeeding?

Are you breastfeeding exclusively- no formula supplements? And is nursing going pretty well?

Did you have heavy periods before?

If the answer to the first two is yes, its unlikely BUT POSSIBLE that you can be having your period again. Even though I was exclusively breastfeeding my son, my period returned at 8 weeks pp, and i had the off-and-on and little clots like you're describing. Roughly 5-10% of women will experience a return of their menses this early.

I also took a low-dose "mini-pill" for one cycle, and I spotted while I was taking it, so your pill could also be to blame.

Like you I was scared when all of a sudden I started bleeding at 8wks pp and it had stopped at 6wks pp. I called my doctor and told him what was going on, and he told me that unless I'm passing clots larger than a golf ball, not to worry and that I was probably having my period. You should call your doctor, however, and get his/her opinion. In the meantime, I would abstain from intercourse and just get some rest. No lifting anything, just sit around and enjoy your new baby

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am not breastfeeding. I had a 13 week preemie baby and while she was in the nicu I lost supply even though I was faithfully pumping

Could this still be something 'normal' then?

I suppose I will call my ob, but I am just so scared to from my recent doctors office/hospital experiences with this pregnancy/delivery.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
I had stop-and-start bleeding for nine weeks after my last pregnancy. Finally had an ultrasound and discovered that there were chunks of something-or-other, probably placenta, still in my uterus. Any time one would get ready to pass, I'd return to cramping and bleeding, then it would taper off again. I was offered a d&c but declined.
I'd probably see the ob about it.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I had a c-section. How could there still be stuff in there then? I could see it with a vaginal birth, but you'd think the surgeon would 'get it all' if he was in there in plain sight of everything in the uterous.

·
Registered
4,977 Posts
Call the nurse advice line, talk to them about it, see if it gives you any information that can help you decide if you need to go see the dr. Just talking to them has no consequences, they can't come drag you to the office, but at least you can make a more informed choice about whether to make an appointment or not.

·
Registered
6,010 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BethLS
I am not breastfeeding. I had a 13 week preemie baby and while she was in the nicu I lost supply even though I was faithfully pumping

Could this still be something 'normal' then?

I suppose I will call my ob, but I am just so scared to from my recent doctors office/hospital experiences with this pregnancy/delivery.
It definitely could be your period then if you aren't nursing. However, I read that you had a c-section, and that concerns me, even though you're passing small clots. I would definitely get checked out right away. Like you said, you would "think" the docs would have cleaned everything out, but I have heard of instances where things like gauze were left behind, and the woman starts having heavy bleeding. Just get checked out

·
Premium Member
15,078 Posts
I have clots durring my first or second period PP. It sounds to me like it is normal. Probably just PP AF.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.