Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10,468 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<a href="http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/business/AP-GM.html" target="_blank">GM, UAW Reach Deal to Cut Health Costs</a><br><br><div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">GM Vice Chairman and Chief Financial Officer John Devine said the tentative agreement on health care would reduce GM's retiree health care liabilities by about 25 percent, or $15 billion, over a seven-year period. It would cut GM's annual employee health care expenses by about $3 billion on a pretax basis. Cash savings are estimated at around $1 billion a year.</td>
</tr></table></div>
What kind of precendent do you think this will set for other companies? Do you think they will all eventually follow suit?<br><br>
My dh doesn't say a whole lot about things going on, but he did stand up and yell at the tv last night. He said "If healthcare is so damn expensive, why don't you f*****g fix that instead of sh*****g on the little guy all the time!!!??" I think he's right.

·
Registered
3,144 Posts
My father works for a company in Canada. They had been toying with the idea of forming a branch office somewhere in the US. Until they calculated the cost of health benefits. Then they tossed the idea out the window.<br><br>
This problem is not going to go away until/unless there is a single payer model of health insurance. It is unfortunate that the big companies are cutting health coverage instead of lobbying for government to change their tune about this matter.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>bluets</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">My father works for a company in Canada. They had been toying with the idea of forming a branch office somewhere in the US. Until they calculated the cost of health benefits. Then they tossed the idea out the window.<br><br>
This problem is not going to go away until/unless there is a single payer model of health insurance. It is unfortunate that the big companies are cutting health coverage instead of lobbying for government to change their tune about this matter.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
True, but in the short term, this is how it's going to work.<br><br>
The idiot execs at GM who didn't see the trend against SUV's and for hybrids coming are now going to try to save the ship by cutting worker's benefits. The workers will get screwed and the GM execs will be able to get their giant bonuses for getting this deal through. Had the workers said 'no', then it would be the greedy workers' fault that GM was going down the toilet.<br><br>
Heads I win, tails you lose. All roads lead to home in America.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts