Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to see what everyone else's appts are like - kind of a check-in thread perhaps?

Had 33 week appt today with OB - measuring 36 weeks. Got the results back from the 3 hr GTT - everything came back low end of normal so :nana:
at the OB {told him I didn't have GD}. Got the results of my GBS test back too - it's NEG! Thank goodness! I really didn't want to have an IV with antibiotics.

I'm on weekly appts now - and have a sono next week to check fluid levels and baby's size since I'm measuring ahead.

ANd I have the real feeling that this little one will be coming early {maybe even August!} - not sure if it's because I'm measuring ahead or what, but it's definately there.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
saw midwife 2 weeks ago and supposed to be going every 2 weeks now (almost 32 weeks) but waiting an extra week this round so my mom can come with us next monday to the appointment since she is visiting us for the whole week -- yay! we do the usual: measure the belly (right on for weeks), feel baby's position (usually LOA, sometimes ROA, but definitely doing occasional flips from vertex to breech and back to vertex again at times -- breech baby uncomfortable!), listen to heartbeat (sometimes with fetoscope first and then usually doppler, too, so our 2 year old boy can hear it). didn't do any form of blood sugar testing, but will do finger prick for hematocrit at the next appointment and will probably get a blood sugar reading then, too. still debating about gbs test and whether we will do it or not. i was positive last time, but we didn't do antibiotics during labor. i did some internal and vaginal treatments but at retesting i was still positive, so i'm considering just assuming i'm positive and watching our baby like a hawk after birth, especially if i have any risk factors come up.

we'll have our home visit around 36-37 weeks and then shift to weekly visits at that time, too.

~claudia

·
Registered
614 Posts
Saw midwife today! I've gained ..... two pounds. Total. In 32 weeks. This is very strange. But since I'm out to here (--------) and round like a watermelon, no worries about the baby. S/he kicks like a soccer player every time the midwife touches my belly, too. Head down, yeah, and slowly rotating to anterior. We do bp, urine stick test, weight, fundal height measure, dopler, any questions, see you next time. She started to suggest I come to the center's 'dress rehersal class' but I could hardly contain my mirth. I'm the BTDT pg woman with no worries, don't they know? Last time an 'intern' was there during my appt and I kept cueing her the questions to ask me, etc while the midwife tried to shush me so said intern could get a word in. The midwife will be lucky if I let her do anything during the labor besides clean up, lol.

Watch me have 36 hours of back labor as karmic payback for my current casual attitude.

·
Registered
4,615 Posts
I go Thursday. The past several have been pee in a cup, blood pressure, weight check, measurement. I'm every other week now, which seems so silly since everything has been so easy going and smooth sailing (knock on wood).

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I haven't had a mw appt for 10 weeks now. Damn flaky midwife. I have a call in to another midwife, but she is on vacation (of course). If she isn't back from vacation by next week I'll have to try another midwife. The problem is they get further and further away from me and I'm a little worried that they won't even make it considering my last labor was just short of 3 hours start to finish. If my water doesn't break I may not know I'm in actual labor until it's too late.

I'm sure everything is going fine with the baby though, so I'm not too concerned about not having any prenatals. Heck if DH was more comfortable with it I'd just do UC. He says that he will be too stressed out (which I believe, he's just that kind of guy) and if he's stressed out it will make me stressed out and that can't be good for labor!

Anyway, here's hoping I find a new midwife soon! I only have 7 weeks until my EDD.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I had my 32 week last Friday. My midwife only does once amonth up to 36 then after that we will play it by ear. She has a theory that the greater number of appts cause mothers to get anxious and be more willing to go along with the inductions and stuff near the end if Drs recommend them. She's always available for more she just doesn't think they are needed. So far everything has been normal my pee is always "perfect pee" and heartbeat is usually in the 155 range.

Deb

·
Registered
677 Posts
:
Very frustrating CNM appointment with US yesterday.

US was a f/u to the 20w scan at in which they observed a slightly abnormal (7.2 - cutoff of 7) renal pelvic outlet-by *two* days (meaning if I had scheduled my US for two days later then it would've been in the normal range!).

This US, showed that the larger of the two kidneys was now within the normal limits (9.2 - cutoff 10). However they are not calling it NORMAL!!!! They are still insisting that its "borderline" and may suggest another US. They seemed to suggest that even thought this is the case that the 'pediatrician may want to keep an eye on it anyhow' and led me to believe that that would be through some sort of invasive testing. See, what I don't get is that um, how can it be both normal and abnormal at the same time????
I mean it seems like they got thier answer right??? My theory is that they're trying to scare me into 'behaving' at the hospital (if I were planning on giving birth there).

In addition, the baby is breech. Yeah, I know 32 weeks still time to turn, but for some reason I have zeroed in on this and am now obsessed with it. I desparatly don't want a hospital birth but I am deathly afraid of a surgical birth.
: She does turn around-alot. She was transverse a couple days ago, head down before that, and transverse before that. My HBMW told me that when we both get back from vacation (we are both leaving today), that if she was still breech, we'd work on it. I'm trying to relax but at this point I just can't, we'll see what vacation brings. (spinning babies site is down btw)

Other than that my pee and bp were fine up 1lb from two weeks ago. Poor DH wasted a half day at work (not a big deal but still) for that frustrating crap.

My next CNM visit is the Monday we get back, and I may just have to come up with an excuse to postpone it...

Heather (who hasn't sleept great in about 3 weeks!)

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Heather

My 'appointments' occur usually in my livingroom when I'm curious, about every day I listen to the heartbeat with the fetoscope, it's funny to see how the baby's heart rate changes with what mood I'm in. The other day we had a pretty big forest fire not too far from us, so I was nervous, and the baby must have got that because its heart rate was up pretty good. Other times I'll pick it up when it's sleeping and then it wakes up and I can hear it fluctuate while it's squirming around
I'm so thrilled with this little one!

I measure my fundus way less often now, I've heard it's not very accurate once you're out of the first trimester. Just about any time I'm sitting down I'm poking it's butt and feeling along it's back just for fun.

I just finalized where I am getting the RhoGAM from, found an AWESOME doctor who suggested not bringing the baby in until it's at least a week old because there may be germs from sick people in the office in the fall.
TOO cool!

I've been checking my dilation every few days in the tub, I'm 1 cm and have been about that for a while now.

Weight...
... I don't like to look at that (up 38ish lbs) but curiosity gets the better of me and I do check about once a week.

Cara (who's pregnancy is unassisted if you hadn't been able to tell
)

·
Registered
744 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by time4another
(spinning babies site is down btw)
It is actually only kind of down. They are going to be moving or adding more material, but in the meantime, if you go to www.spinningbabies.com and click where it says "Click here to access site" about mid-way down the page, it will take you to the original site. It appears to have all the info.

Actually, here is a direct link: http://www.spinningbabies.com/05site/index.html

hope that helps!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by myhoneyswife
Heather

I've been checking my dilation every few days in the tub, I'm 1 cm and have been about that for a while now.

How are you checking dialation?

I'm curious - tried to check myself today but my cervix is too tipped to feel properly. It's VERY soft though - more so than earlier on my my pregnancy. I also seemed to get some yellowish stringy mucus when checking too - hope this isn't my plug!

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dakotamidnight
How are you checking dialation?

I'm curious - tried to check myself today but my cervix is too tipped to feel properly. It's VERY soft though - more so than earlier on my my pregnancy. I also seemed to get some yellowish stringy mucus when checking too - hope this isn't my plug!
Hmm, I don't know if that's your plug or not, I only get snot-like mucus from my cervix, and not a bunch of it and it's not stringy. If you can't feel your cervix, then I don't know how you'd check it... I just reach up there with my finger or 2 of them and stick one in, I can fit my whole middle finger (up to the 1st joint is as far as I can reach) in, and it's about 1 cm across, so I'm 1 cm dilated... I have to sorta squat in the tub to reach it, but it works. Mine's soft also, I'd totally laugh if I went early, I keep telling everyone that I expect to go 4 weeks overdue!

Cara (the TMI queen..)

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
I'm 35 weeks and my home visit will be next Tuesday (already!
: )

My appts are lasting about 1 hour, about 10 minutes for the clinical stuff like blood pressure, check baby heartrate, urine dip, fundal height, and palpating abdomen to figure baby's position.

The rest of the time, we just talk about anything...some birth related, some personal, some very personal birth-related. It's been a nice break because my DH and DD have had to miss the last 2 appts, so it's just been me. DH loves to listen to himself talk so he tends to do more talking at appts than I would like.

So, after next Tuesday, I'll start weekly visits until this baby gets here.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I am so excited that my next appt is my home visit!!! It's getting close now.

Anyway, I saw my midwife a few days ago & we determined that he is ROA (head down, back on the right) & his head is already in my pelvis. Is that weird this early to have his head in my pelvis already?

I lost 4 pounds in the 2 weeks between my last appts beacuse we were concerned about some of my results when I was testing my blood sugars so I was cutting back on grain products. Then when she tested my urine there was protien so we decied that I should go back to eating like normal & just be sure to not over do grains, since the protien in my urine & weight loss are not very good for baby & my sugars were not that high anyway. So I am up about 25 pounds now. That is 5 pounds less than I was at this point in my last pregnancy. I don't feel like I am very big yet, so I am just waiting for the day that I suddenly seem to pop out & feel huge
However I am, just as I did last time, measuring about 2 weeks ahead.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
We're at every two weeks now for visits.

I come down into her 'office' (downstairs where her daughters' rooms flank the exam room) and pee in the cup and weigh myself and then go into the sitting room (exam room) and get comfy on the day bed with all the lovely pillows and we chat for awhile. She asks about my day, how I've been feeling, etc. I pretty much whine and complain about my life for awhile (aches and pains, no A/C at home, stress about losing my job, etc) and she asks all the questions she has to ask about sleeping and eating and stress, headaches, etc.

Then at some point she measures my belly and blood pressure, takes my pulse and listens to the baby with the fetoscope. She gave me a lovely tummy massage on Monday, feeling around for the baby so gently, it felt very relaxing and soothing. mmmmmm I asked her to massage me some more.
I'm at 31 weeks pg, measuring 33. I've gained 24 lbs so far. I gained 30 with Leo the whole pg.

If dh has any questions, he interjects them when he can (poor guy can barely get a word in edgewise with the MW and I chatting). Leo plays with the toys and generally gets in the way
. He got to listen to the baby and understands how to put the fetoscope ear pieces in so he can hear. He likes to take the MW's toy stethoscope and listen to my belly with her. It's really sweet.

I really love seeing a MW. It's so much more relaxed and friendly and comfortable than seeing an OB. And we really discuss all the testing and procedural issues in depth. She listens to me and respects my opinions and answers my questions deeply and honestly, sometimes scaring me (making me realize something is more important than I thought), other times reassuring me. It's a good balance, b/c the OB's only ever patronized me kindly and glossed over discussions.

·
Registered
7,321 Posts
my cervix is waaaaaaaaaaay posterior right now but i can feel the edge of the os and it's about 2 cm dilated or maybe slightly more and pretty soft. definitely different than my first pregnancy, where it was pretty posterior but only fingertip to 1cm dilated and more firm until i started laboring. i don't check it regularly, but when i do, i'm usually in the shower with a leg up on the corner seat. the belly's getting more in the way now, though.

~claudia

·
Registered
98 Posts
My appointments have gone quite well, glad for that. The heartbeat is about 152 everytime, kind of odd, but I see the same numbers each visit. I think baby is head down already, kicks in the ribs prove that.

My next appointment is in 5 days so I'll know more then. I still have to get the GBS test done, and am totally dreading that, for obvious reasons, lol. I tried to get out of it, but don't think he'll let me despite no history of GBS.

Other than that this pregnancy has been great, and its hard to believe there is only 6 weeks to go, woohooo!! I am quite exhausted these days but holding my own. Hope everyone is doing well too!!!

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
I had my 34 week visit today. It was the first one dh has been to, so that was kind of cool. We do the normal stuff and talk-they take about an hour. My girls are becoming little midwives-one squirts the goo on the dopplar and the other finds the heartbeat. They're actually really good at it and can find it on the first try. They had also felt the head way down in my pelvis.

My next visit is the home visit in 2 weeks. I'm so excited. And the cool part is that my mw is also photographer, so she includes either belly pics or newborn pics as part of her "package". So, we're having the home visit and photography session at our house all in one. She told me today that these pics are going to be sexy. Ha! Good luck with that-I haven't felt sexy in weeks.
I am intriuged, though.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
I know virtually nothing about GBS other than it is an infection. At my homevisit in 3 weeks my midwife will do the test if I want. I think I will proabably do it becuase it isn't too invasive & I am curious.

However what are the treatments other than the hospital standard IV of antibiotics? I know that my mid wife will do injectable antibiotics since she wont be giving me an IV, but what are other options? Also what are the effects of GBS infection on baby?

ETA: Opps I meant to make this a whole new thread
:

·
Registered
4,764 Posts
Cheryl, when a baby does contract GBS (which is VERY rare) they get incredibly sick. My friend's nephew got it and he was very touch and go for a couple of weeks. They weren't sure if he was going to make it.
My MW gives us a print out of symptoms to look for in a newborn and has us take the baby's tempurature frequently in the first couple of days.
Just b/c you test positive for GBS does not mean your baby will automatically contract it, though.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts