Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I am a newbie to yogurt making I could use some help in figuring this out. What is causing the top of the yogurt to do this?
I have been using the Coconut Milk Yogurt recipe from Kathy's Recipe Box. I made it before and it worked wonderfully! I've sterilized all of the utensils and let it sit undisturbed for 23-24 hours. I used YoLife yogurt starter for all batches so far.
Is it incubating too long? Getting too hot maybe? Do you think it's ok to eat like this? This is the 3rd batch to turn out this way and it's really frustrating.

· Registered
5,997 Posts
==Mine is doing something like that as well! I was thinking that I needed to try it in the crockpot, but haven't got around to doing it yet. I thought pephaps the cheap yogurt maker wasn't regulating the temps well enough. I really miss it. I used to do it in the oven with the light, but my new one doesn't seem to keep theright = temp.

· Premium Member
14,037 Posts
From the picture, that looks like pink/orange mold. You don't want to eat that. The only time I've had that happen to my yogurt is if I let it ferment too long. I usually go 24 hours, but that one time I forgot I was making it and it went more like 36.

· Registered
10,748 Posts
Mine did that the last time too!! But I think mine is because my starter is 4 months past its expiration date. I have to order more. I've made tons of batches in the same yogurt maker with the same process and it never did it before.

· Registered
5,997 Posts
very interesting all of this, my starter is a bit expired as well, but only 2 months. I was thinking that maybe it has something to do w/ the alcohol in the vanilla- don't know why I thought that, but it is a suspiscion. I will try fermenting mine a little less, although I think it was right at 24 hrs.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the responses. Cristeen, I am going to try less time next.

Quote:

Originally Posted by crunchy_mama View Post
very interesting all of this, my starter is a bit expired as well, but only 2 months. I was thinking that maybe it has something to do w/ the alcohol in the vanilla- don't know why I thought that, but it is a suspiscion. I will try fermenting mine a little less, although I think it was right at 24 hrs.
I thought mine might be temp too. It's hovering around 115, but I don't know if that's too hot. With one batch I left out the vanilla and sugar, thinking they may have caused some reaction, but it still happened.
I am thinking of cutting it down from 24 hours to 12 hours and see how that goes.

· Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kjbrown92 View Post
Mine did that the last time too!! But I think mine is because my starter is 4 months past its expiration date. I have to order more. I've made tons of batches in the same yogurt maker with the same process and it never did it before.
The first time I used your recipe it turned out great and I want it like that again. I have been wondering if it had something to do with the starter. So, I ordered some starter from GI Prohealth and am just waiting for it to get here. I've been reading good things about it. Do you think there is a connection between the starter and fermenting time?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.