Mothering Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do y'all have on your list of things to get before the baby arrives? I waffle between feeling wonderfully prepared and panicked that I'm forgetting something. We have so much saved up from the other children that the only thing on my list is a car seat for the baby. I have this uneasy feeling that at the last minute I'll remember something else we need - and I'll feel super dumb for not thinking of it in the first place!

So tell me - what's on YOUR "must have" list? Maybe I'll get some ideas! :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Diapers, for the next 3 mths, at least, so you will need quite a few sizes.

Bottles and breastpump, even if breastfeeding, you never know.\

Baby washcloths, towels.

Diaper changing mat. I never bought a changing table.

Blankets

Diaper shirts

Sleepers

Infant snowsuit (my daughter was born in mid winter.)

Stroller

Carseat (essential must)

My dad bought me a Snuggly.(perfect, stress-free busrides)

Diaper wipes (in the winter I would heat them up)

Some simple toys, like rattles, stuffed animals, simple plastic or wood picture books.

My mom bought me a rocking chair

We pulled out a drawer to use as a crib for the first month till we were able to buy a real crib.

Soothers are good for those times you can't feed them and you are breastfeeding. Plus some times they just want to suck on something.

At least one nice outfit for portraits or fancy events, family gatherings, etc.

A hat for summer

Baby sunscreen

Mesh and plastic tarp for stroller. keeps the buggies away and rain/wind off.

Q-tips

Kleenex

Baby wash

Baby basin. Though I do know some people just use their kitchen sinks.

Plug shields

Cabinet locks

Rubber corner bumpers

Jolly Jumper

·
Registered
790 Posts
So far the must haves for us are:

* carseat
*stroller (for when baby wearing isn't a great option like dr appts)
* cloth diapers & wipes
* clothes from NB to 3 months
* carriers - 1 ring sling & 3 soft structure carriers
* breast pump & spare parts including extra bottles, storage bags, etc.
* two swaddle blankets
* Baby wash tub
* bouncy seat
* swing
* playmat

* I'm also putting together a pp basket to have near my bed side since I'm having a RCS. It'll have lotion, nipple cream, snacks, remote for the tv, hair ties, ibuprofen, etc. We're also buying a case of water to have by the bed.

With this baby being born so close to his sisters birthday and Christmas, we're not going overboard with buying stuff he won't need right away. We're also not having a baby shower, so we're pretty much buying as we need it so our house doesn't get cluttered up with unused baby stuff. We're also going to go buy little things we'll need probably next month or so. :)

·
Registered
225 Posts
(1) Clothes from NB-3 months
(2) Carseat. I didn't realize some were actually 'green.' Hopefully they also play well with the few double strollers we are considering.
(3) Double stroller - we don't need this right away, but knowing which one will help buy the carseat.
(4) NB dipes
(5) Place to sleep
(6) Baby rocker
(5) & (6) we may have already - we loaned out everything used during the NB stage :)
(7) NB carrier. But which? My silk RS are too big and my softest woven wraps feel too large and I really don't like those weird moby & ktans. Have heard some good things about a newer carrier called Nesting Days. I also like the idea of t-shirt carriers but not sure how practical they are.
(8) Air filter. Pronto.

List is short because little # 1 is still young.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ooooh a pp basket is a GREAT idea, @bright-midnight!

Thanks for all the ideas, ladies! We have everything we need from the lists you posted, though I suppose we could stand to freshen up our diaper stash. We use prefolds for the first few months and we have an abundance of those from previous kids, but our microfiber liners for the pocket diapers are pretty ratty. That sounds like a good Christmas gift for the little one. ;)

As for carriers, I have a Boba that converts to a newborn carrier (which I LOVE) and a Bali-breeze wrap. The wrap is super long so what I do is wrap it around me before the baby and I leave the house, then I put the baby in once we get to where we're going. That way I don't have to worry about the tails dragging on the ground in some dirty parking lot. :)

·
Registered
266 Posts
Babies are transportable so if you have something to safely transport baby from point A to point B and has at least a couple of outfits and diapers the rest can be bought if and when you need it. I preferred the wait and see approach but what I really liked that I bought was my manduca carrier, changing table (I know a lot of people hate it but for me it was one of the things we used the most and for the longest time, we still use it to put on the night diaper and our daughter is three and potty trained daytime), a small back pack for her stuff when we went out and towards 6-8 months we started using the stroller quite a lot. Other than necessities such as clothes and diapers we didn't really need that much more. I did buy a pump and used it very sparsely and we tried using bottles but ended up using sippy cups instead as they worked better. Few things are necessary and what is the most popular depends on the baby.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree - that is what we have found over the years, too. In the beginning, with our first, we bought EV-ERY-THING. She used it all, but MAN was it a ton of stuff to be constantly tripping over. My go-to "gear" item these days is a bouncy seat - bonus if it is light/small enough that I can (*carefully* of course) transport the baby from room to room with him/her still in it. That's about the only "must have" item I recommend to other people because it can be used in so many different situations, especially for the first few months. Baby can sleep in it and it can be a portable sleeping solution for trips, you can bounce it with one foot while you __insert something that requires two hands here__, baby can hang out in it while you shower or cook or whatever, it's at kid-level so the other kids can play with the baby while he/she is in it, etc. That's one of the things we still have around from the last baby, thank goodness! :)

Reactions: stegenrae

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh! I just thought of something else to add to my list. After my 3yo peed in her car seat today (grrrr) I realized how thankful I am that we have one of these "piddle pads." LOVE that thing! Protects the car seat from blow out poops and potty accidents. Gotta get a new one for the baby! :)

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
hmm.

Clothes (and hats/socks) through 6 mo size (my babies are usually in 3-6 mo clothes by 6-8 wks so i like to be ready)
diapers (cloth)
bouncy seat
pack n play with changing station
rocking chair
**nursing bras (though i don't buy new ones until baby is 2-3 wks old)
**earth mama angel baby mama bottom balm and nipple cream
blankets
emergency use only pacifier (gum drop brand)
prefolds to use as burp cloths
bed rail
**carseat
way more baby carriers than any one baby needs.. (currently have 3 SSCs, 3 ring slings, 3 wraps, 6 of these are new to this baby)
**birth kit

i think that is it?

** are things i actually need to buy this time..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ah yes, Pack n' Plays were great when travelling and you had to stay at a hotel or visiting people.

Those breastfeeding, horseshoe shaped pillows were great, too. I also used it to prop up my daughter when she was learning to sit on her own,

Some say that bumper pads are not good, but as long as they are used properly they help keep your baby from getting their limbs caught in the cribs rails. I used one and my baby was fine.

If there is such thing, perhaps there is a net, tarp thing you can put over the crib like you can with the stroller, to keep cats out of the crib. The concern is (and I observed this when watching one of my cats caring for a new kitten) is that cats like to lay on newborns as an instinct to preserve their heat. They will even lay on a kittens face. Cats might do this with human babies. I caught my old cat in my daughters crib a few times. Plus they may try and take over the crib as their territory and track kitty litter particles all over everything. The nursery should be off limits to cats. Just an FYI.

·
Registered
80 Posts
@kcandco, totally agree with the bouncy seat. I had a great simple one for my first 2 babies in Europe, and used it all the time. It had no vibration, music or toys, but it did have handles so the seat could be carried with baby in it to another room. I can't find anything with handles here, but they all have all the bells & whistles! :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good point, @etsdtm99 - I really should check on my stash of nursing bras. I weaned my littlest about 9 months ago but I can't remember their condition - and I'm guessing they are pretty ratty by now. You know, with as little as we need to buy for the baby, I think that warrants me getting some new bras. ;)
@Dawn's mom - I have seen "crib tents," which are primarily used for keeping kids IN but I'm sure they would also be helpful in keeping cats OUT. :)

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Is this what you're talking about? http://www.lifenews.com/2014/08/15/watch-what-these-twins-do-when-mom-tells-them-its-bedtime/ (warning: very funny video)

My firstborn and I loved our sling, which was an Over the Shoulder Baby Holder, but that was 9-10 years ago and I haven't seen it for at least three years, after we moved here to FL and it got lost in my M-I-L's laundry room. That's the most important thing I want to replace, just in case my new daughter is like her oldest daughter and not like the other three siblings, who didn't like the sling as much. I even was able to breastfeed my firstborn in the sling while walking on the sidewalk with it...those were the days!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yep, that's it! :nod

·
Registered
506 Posts
I really think we have everything. Except Snappi's, I bought 10 of them 3 children ago, gave a couple away as gifts & am down to 2. Some new wraps would be nice. Long sleeve onesies for 0-3. Newborn diapers. Formula for the first week in case I die & baby needs to eat. Gruesome, but we're realists & the goat oughtn't to be in milk at that time & it's one less thing for Husband to worry about. It always ends up going back to the store after the first week. Our last baby got a brand new car seat which is nice to have. I'd go for a mom bus, our mini-van will be at max capacity after this one, lol.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Snappis! Gosh, I have no idea if I have any left. I'll have to check on that! Thanks, @Voondrop! :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts