Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep hearing never to take echinacea during pregnancy; that it's really bad. Why? I am very in touch with my body and I know just before a cold comes on and I need a boost to my immune system not to get sick. Echinacea and vitamin C usually do the trick, and even if I do get sick, I end up with just a mild cold.<br><br>
My aunt and her children live down the street from me, and they're *always* getting sick and exposing themselves to me and my dd before informing me that they are ill. Just the other day I had some family over, and as they were leaving, my cousin said to my aunt, "mommy, I think I'm getting that cough again." And this is after she was playing with my dd and sitting right next to us, etc. Now I feel the beginnings of a sore throat coming on. *sigh* I do have children's echinacea drops that I give to dd, so I gave her some last night. But as for me, I am just wondering which is worse: accepting that I'm just going to get sick and run down and have a hard time taking care of my toddler and possibly pass an illness on to her, or taking the unknown risk of echinacea and staying healthy and having a better chance of keeping my energy and keeping my dd healthy, too. Anyone know the specifics as to possible harmful effects of taking echinacea while pregnant?

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
There's no reason why you cannot take echinacea while pregnant.<br><br>
Definitely start taking it when you feel your immune system needs a boost (like now!).<br><br>
There was a recent report on echinacea and pregnant women - and it shows that women that took echinacea experienced fewer viral illnesses.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks so much, pamamidwife! I was hoping that it was just a bunch of "covering your butt" just in case. It's good to know I'm not endangering my unborn child.

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
Homeopathic remedies are another safe, effective remedy during pregnancy as well!<br>
I keep various cold & flu remedies on hand all during the cold/flu season & take doses whenever I feel I have been exposed or if I feel a cold or flu "coming on"~ they work wonders!!!

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
What my midwife said was that pure echinacea is OK, but goldenseal, which is often mixed in, is NOT OK. So if you make sure that it's just echinacea, you should be fine.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Yes, be careful to avoid goldenseal, it is an herb use to induce labor!<br><br>
You can also use some aromatherapy to help boost your immune system.<br><br>
I make a Resistance Booster spritz that can also work as a quick spray on disenfectant (depending on how strong you make it)<br><br>
1/2 c distilled or spring water<br>
6 drops Lavender essential oil<br>
6 drops Tea Tree essential oil<br><br>
you can increase the amounts of oils to make a topical disenfectant as well.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Hmmmm....<br>
I know I may be a little paranoid, but I got worried when I read that you shouldn't have goldenseal in pregnancy. I use a natural toothpaste that has goldenseal in it. Could it still be dangerous even though I'm not ingesting it?

·
Registered
7,527 Posts
I would think that goldenseal in toothpaste would be fine, but one never knows. It takes a pretty fair amount of goldenseal to create contractions, but with toothpaste, it easily can enter your bloodstream through swollen gums.<br><br>
Not sure about that. I would tend to think that the toothpaste would be fine - since the amount of goldenseal would be small. I suppose if you felt unsure, getting a new formula of toothpaste might be better.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I do remember hearing about goldenseal. The echinacea that I have does not contain it, so it seems it should be safe. I've been taking some the past couple of days, although slightly less than I would if I weren't pregnant. It seems so far to have warded off that cough! Thanks again for all the info. everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts